Jump to content
irani

Shaking hands before the match

Recommended Posts

Some combination of #1-3.

I don't like it because I enjoy sportsmanship, and the match should only take place during the match ideally. With that said, if a guy thinks he can get an advantage by not shaking hands (it could give him a boost of confidence even if the opponent doesn't care), then go for it. I'm still going to be annoyed with them and probably root against them, but I don't think they should be punished or anything. It isn't a big deal. 

It becomes a bigger deal however depending on who is wrestling. If it is Iran vs USA, I would hope that both guys shake hands, even if they typically don't. People will misinterpret it as a slight to the country otherwise. If it is USA vs Canada? The assumption will be it is just gamemanship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Some combination of #1-3.

I don't like it because I enjoy sportsmanship, and the match should only take place during the match ideally. With that said, if a guy thinks he can get an advantage by not shaking hands (it could give him a boost of confidence even if the opponent doesn't care), then go for it. I'm still going to be annoyed with them and probably root against them, but I don't think they should be punished or anything. It isn't a big deal. 

It becomes a bigger deal however depending on who is wrestling. If it is Iran vs USA, I would hope that both guys shake hands, even if they typically don't. People will misinterpret it as a slight to the country otherwise. If it is USA vs Canada? The assumption will be it is just gamemanship. 

I agree with most of what you wrote.  I believe when you are representing your country, then it's important to show some sportsmanship.  I will tell you what triggered my question.  In the semi final in the cadet championship, the American kid, Poulin, refused to shake hands with his Iranian counter part.  He then lost within about 10 seconds, and pushed the Iranian away he tried to hug him. Poulin did show some composure when he walked to the Iranian coaches' corner and shook their hands

Social media in Iran is going nuts over this.  A small minority are defending him.  One of the defenses is that he is just a kid (which I agree with), the other is that unlike Iranians, it is not customary for Americans to shake hands with your opponent before the match (which I know is bull****)

Here is the video of match, as reported by BBC Persian https://www.facebook.com/bbcpersian/videos/2390825161194481/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its a douche move.   I recall an Iranian refusing to shake Terry Brands' hand in a World or Olympics.  He must have greatly intimidated Brands, cause he won pretty handily.  You could show them this video and see if he wins their hearts and minds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh come on, this is not even important. a 16 year old kid not paying attention to his opponent offering handshake . he was down badly and he was just upset. that's it. it has nothing to do with culture or anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I think its a douche move.   I recall an Iranian refusing to shake Terry Brands' hand in a World or Olympics.  He must have greatly intimidated Brands, cause he won pretty handily.  You could show them this video and see if he wins their hearts and minds.

 

Thanks for posting the video of Poulin.  The kid probably has a tremendous future ahead of him.

Do you have a video of the Iranian refusing to shake hands with Brand?  The only Olympics match I recall was with Dabir, and they shook hands.

If what you wrote is true, then I agree it's a douche move, specially for an adult.

Edited by irani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

oh come on, this is not even important. a 16 year old kid not paying attention to his opponent offering handshake . he was down badly and he was just upset. that's it. it has nothing to do with culture or anything else.

I agree with you, and as I wrote, I think he is just a kid ( not sure if he is even 16).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, irani said:

I agree with most of what you wrote.  I believe when you are representing your country, then it's important to show some sportsmanship.  I will tell you what triggered my question.  In the semi final in the cadet championship, the American kid, Poulin, refused to shake hands with his Iranian counter part.  He then lost within about 10 seconds, and pushed the Iranian away he tried to hug him. Poulin did show some composure when he walked to the Iranian coaches' corner and shook their hands

Social media in Iran is going nuts over this.  A small minority are defending him.  One of the defenses is that he is just a kid (which I agree with), the other is that unlike Iranians, it is not customary for Americans to shake hands with your opponent before the match (which I know is bull****)

Here is the video of match, as reported by BBC Persian https://www.facebook.com/bbcpersian/videos/2390825161194481/

Wow. Not cool. Hopefully nobody takes it too seriously, as Poulin is just 16, but that doesn’t make it ok  

We do shake hands (it is more of a slap of hands) before matches, even at the lowest levels. 

Might also be worth mentioning that he was popular when he was a little kid too and has always been aggressive and kind of mean on the mat.  

He does have an excellent well respected coach now and i am sure he has told him to knock it off and may have even punished him. I’m not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

oh come on, this is not even important. a 16 year old kid not paying attention to his opponent offering handshake . he was down badly and he was just upset. that's it. it has nothing to do with culture or anything else.

I mean yeah it isn’t a huge deal, but when you represent your country on the international stage, you need to know that your actions represent your country. 

I’m not saying ban the kid, but I hope coach Pop made him run some laps or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Wow. Not cool. Hopefully nobody takes it too seriously, as Poulin is just 16, but that doesn’t make it ok  

We do shake hands (it is more of a slap of hands) before matches, even at the lowest levels. 

Might also be worth mentioning that he was popular when he was a little kid too and has always been aggressive and kind of mean on the mat.  

He does have an excellent well respected coach now and i am sure he has told him to knock it off and may have even punished him. I’m not sure. 

I saw the video that Plasmodium posted, and he sure looks like he has a long history of successful wrestling.

Edited by irani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They slapped hands at the beginning of the match and again to start the second period. 0:30 and 3:53 of this video.  Poulin then didn't on the restart 20 seconds into the second period after blood time.  Much ado about nothing IMO.

End of the match had more to do with what Poulin likely felt was an unnecessary action after the match was over.  You see the referee, chairman and even Iranian coach are all drifting towards that action to make sure it does turn bad.  Not Poulin's best look, but doesn't register for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

29 minutes ago, FlyinLion said:

They slapped hands at the beginning of the match and again to start the second period. 0:30 and 3:53 of this video.  Poulin then didn't on the restart 20 seconds into the second period after blood time.  Much ado about nothing IMO.

End of the match had more to do with what Poulin likely felt was an unnecessary action after the match was over.  You see the referee, chairman and even Iranian coach are all drifting towards that action to make sure it does turn bad.  Not Poulin's best look, but doesn't register for me.

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the videos you posted.  But you are saying in fact they shook hands?

Then BBC should be crucified for their fake news reporting that is giving everyone the false impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that not shaking hands before or after the match is a terrible look especially when you’re representing your country. 

However I saw something different in that video. The Iranian kid destroyed Stevo overall (kudos to him). When Stevo was on the verge of getting teched he didn’t slap hands mid match and it probably pissed the Iranian kid off. Then AFTER the Iranian had secured the tech he kept wrestling hard and drove Stevo off the mat (in a sequence that lasted a few seconds), and then tried to fully embrace Stevo. I’ve always thought it was in poor taste for the winner to try to hug the guy he just beat or act like they’re best friends, regardless of the circumstances. Last thing I want is to get my ass beat and then have the guy who just kicked my ass try to hug me. It’s important to always keep your composure when you lose, but that doesn’t mean you have to hug the guy who just beat you and ended your dream of being a world champ (at least this year). 

The most important thing is these are just kids. I place no fault on either. If I were Stevo’s coach I would have a serious talk with him about sportsmanship especially when representing your country overseas, but this is no big deal to me. 

Edited by MDogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he left him hanging it appeared to be about one minute into the second period. Score was 8-0. Not the beginning of the  match or second period for that matter. Am I missing something here?

Edited by steen-hooph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, irani said:

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the videos you posted.  But you are saying in fact they shook hands?

Then BBC should be crucified for their fake news reporting that is giving everyone the false impression.

I can't view this on YouTube, but maybe you can.  I personally wouldn't call it a "shake," but a slap or touch.  It's similar to the Dabir/Brands video you posted both times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole thing appears to be irresponsible reporting by BBC.  They did indeed slap hands at the beginning of match.

To be fair, BBS reported that the American kid refused to shake hands, and I assumed they meant at the beginning of the match, so I am also mistaken

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chet said:

Does anyone know if Stevo's dad was a fan of Jacka$$?

Not sure what you are asking but I have talked with his dad a couple of times.  Dad and son are good people.  Even after is son majored mine, Stevo had compliments about my son. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not sure what you are asking but I have talked with his dad a couple of times.  Dad and son are good people.  Even after is son majored mine, Stevo had compliments about my son. 
It's a joke on the name Steve O.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MDogg said:

I’ve always thought it was in poor taste for the winner to try to hug the guy he just beat or act like they’re best friends, regardless of the circumstances. Last thing I want is to get my ass beat and then have the guy who just kicked my ass try to hug me. It’s important to always keep your composure when you lose, but that doesn’t mean you have to hug the guy who just beat you and ended your dream of being a world champ (at least this year).

Reminds me of Yoel Romero kissing a heavily concussed Luke Rockhold: I LUH YOU. 

As to the thread, I knew this would be about Amouzad/Poulin before I even opened the thread lol. I would say #3. Even in boxing they have to touch gloves before they try to knock the other guy out.

As to this case, Poulin touched at the start of each period and he didn't need to touch again after the timeout in my opinion. The media distorted this unfairly to Poulin as has been mentioned above. In fact, Amouzad didn't act so great himself after he already won the match lifted Poulin and threw him off the mat LOL. 

In conclusion: they're young guys who will make little mistakes under pressure like everyone, and I don't see anything serious worthy of attention here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...