irani

Shaking hands before the match

I don't like poor sportsmanship more than most, but it doesn't exist in this video. This was absolutely distorted and bog-standard anti-Americanism given to us by the British state broadcaster -which is always claiming to be unbiased. 

6 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I mean yeah it isn’t a huge deal, but when you represent your country on the international stage, you need to know that your actions represent your country. 

I’m not saying ban the kid, but I hope coach Pop made him run some laps or something. 

Poulin did nothing wrong here. This wasn't the beginning of the match.

7 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

They did an interview with the Iranian kid  after he won the gold and he claims Poulin was talking trash before the match. 

https://www.farsnews.com/news/13980513000972/عموزاد-کاری-با-کشتی‌گیر-آمریکایی-کردم-که-دیگر-ایرانی‌ها-را-فراموش

So, there are lots of good info here.  The most important one is the explanation about why Gholizadeh got disqualified and cost the team championship.  He got disqualified specifically because he did not shake the opposing coaches' hands after the match.  So it wasn't that he threw a tantrum, but that he did not shake hands.

This should reach Iran a lesson, instead of whining about being singled out, learn the rules and follow them.  Poulin was smart, apparently there are not rules about shaking the opponents hand at the end of the match, so he did not shake hands with Amouzadeh, but he walked over to the Iranian corner and shook hands with the coaches.  So, if you are going to act unsportsmanlike in any shape or form, do it within the rules!

After watching the video, it sounds to me like his Dad or Coach takes him aside and tell him what's what.  I would pull him off the mat if he refused again.  That little stinker needs to learn a lesson now rather than wait until later.  By the looks of that drubbing, he got what he deserved for being a jerk.  He's a kid and can wrestle another day, but I'd chew the heck out of him for being such a jerk and poor sport. 

mspart

2 hours ago, mspart said:

After watching the video, it sounds to me like his Dad or Coach takes him aside and tell him what's what.  I would pull him off the mat if he refused again.  That little stinker needs to learn a lesson now rather than wait until later.  By the looks of that drubbing, he got what he deserved for being a jerk.  He's a kid and can wrestle another day, but I'd chew the heck out of him for being such a jerk and poor sport. 

mspart

I feel bad for positing something that was misleading, so I want to make sure all the facts are out there

• The video starts with less then two minutes left in the second round
  • They both shook or slapped hands, at the beginning of each round.
  • There was an injury time to take care of the bleeding on the Iranian's hand
  • After the injury, the Iranian extended his hand and Poulin let him hang,
  • The match then ended 12-0
  • When the match ended,  Poulin looked at the ref, and realizing the match is over, he stopped, but the Iranian had his head down and did not stop.  I personally think he did not realize the match is over, but even without malice, I can full understand why that would piss off Poulin
  • the Iranian then went to hug Poulin, and Poulin pushed him away, somewhat angrily.  He was probably upset for both being Tech'd and also because the Iranian did not stop when the match was over.
  • They are both young kids.
  • Neither did anything really bad, both could have done better, Iranian should have enough wrestling intelligence to know when the match was over, Poulin could have slapped hands again when offered, and could have  handled the unwelcome hug better.
  • The real offender is the reporter who posted the misleading news clip.
Edited by irani

17 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

They did an interview with the Iranian kid  after he won the gold and he claims Poulin was talking trash before the match. 

https://www.farsnews.com/news/13980513000972/عموزاد-کاری-با-کشتی‌گیر-آمریکایی-کردم-که-دیگر-ایرانی‌ها-را-فراموش

"Claims" being the key word. The Iranian wrestler didn't exactly paint himself in glory at the end of the match.