Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Cornell looks to be punting this year

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think its a good idea. A trophy isn't really a big deal for Cornell anymore, and they need everything lined up for them to make a legit title run. I don't think they've really been a strong contender since...Lewnes' sophomore year maybe?

They had the Dake-Simaz-Bosak year must have been near the top there.

Just now, madcat11 said:

They had the Dake-Simaz-Bosak year must have been near the top there.

Thats a great point, cause it is definitely the best night in the history of the program, but the distinction I would make is that them maxing out in a particular tournament is not the same as being considered a title contender beforehand. Thats what I was talking about, though I obviously wasn't clear enough. 

30 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Thats a great point, cause it is definitely the best night in the history of the program, but the distinction I would make is that them maxing out in a particular tournament is not the same as being considered a title contender beforehand. Thats what I was talking about, though I obviously wasn't clear enough. 

Cornell and Knolls best finish was 2nd 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. They want that team title its might be Knolls last shot at it.

Ps they were ranked first going into the 2010-11 NCAA tournament 

Edited by Sublime607

4 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Based on what I just looked up, the went 2nd, 2nd, 4th(with three champs).

Kinda validates my previous statement.

Honestly that's what I was trying to do just got my years messed up. Just that they were the favorites heading into the 2010-2011 tournament ranked first.

Cornell was actually a STRONG preseason favorite in 2010-2011.  A lot of things had to happen to change that and they still had a solid chance to win going into NCAA’s. 

Things that changed it:

1.)PSU emerged big time in Cael’s 2nd season. I don’t think anyone thought Taylor and Ruth would be that good right off the bat. 38 points from 2 freshman. Wright won it as a 9 seed and Molinaro chose down. Still, it took Long transferring to put them over the top. 

2. Cornell had several guys not quite live up to Pre season billing. Perelli fell way short and Grey missed the podium as well.   Villalonga got beat out at 141. Kerber missed the podium. Lewnes  got Ruthed multiple times.  Simaz lost a crazy 1 to Kilgore in the semis to end up 3rd as the 1 seed.  Dake won it and Bosak took 4th. 

Cornell lost by 14. Grey and Kerber just taking 7th would have put them right there or preseason #1s Simaz and Lewnes making the Finals May have been enough. 

Wright winning it from the 9 seed was huge, too. He ran a gauntlet. Fausey, Steinhaus, Honeycutt, Gambrall and Hamlin. 

13 hours ago, DRD5748 said:

And we'll find out in March which category Iowa fits into; it's been pretty uphill for them since 2010 facing the 'POO' (PSU, OhSt, OkSt)

The 2nd best team in the country since 2010 category?  PSU is the ONLY team to consistently finish ahead of Iowa.  Granted, they haven't truly challenged the winner since 2010, but tOSU is the only other that has won since then.  I know there are many that want to diminish Iowa on here in every way they can, but they are still at the top of the 2nd tier, with PSU solely on top of the mountain!

Edited to ADD:

When all is said and done, PSU has OWNED the last decade and it isn't even close.  No matter how you frame an anti-PSU argument, 10 years of dominance can't be ignored or swept under the rug by ANY set of data.  Hell the 2nd closest average placement team over that 10 year span is Iowa and they only finished 1st or 2nd 1 time each. Hell, the ONLY other team to finish top 10 every year is Cornell!

Last 10:

_____________1st________2nd___________3rd________________4th__________________Top 5___________________________Top10

PSU................8..................0......................0..............................0....................................8.....................................................10-8 wins a 6th and 9th

Iowa...............1..................1.......................3.............................4....................................10...................................................10-All top 5's

Cornell...........0..................2.......................0.............................1.....................................5....................................................10-5 top 5's and 7,7,7,7,8

OkState.........0..................2.......................3.............................1.....................................6......................................................9-6 top 5's and 6,6,7 and 13

tOSU..............1..................3.......................1.............................0.....................................5......................................................9-5 top 5's and 6,6,8 and 29

Minn..............0..................2.......................1.............................0.....................................3......................................................8-3 top 5's and 7,7,7,8,13 and 17

Edited by MSU158

17 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

The 2nd best team in the country since 2010 category?  PSU is the ONLY team to consistently finish ahead of Iowa.  Granted, they haven't truly challenged the winner since 2010, but tOSU is the only other that has won since then.  I know there are many that want to diminish Iowa on here in every way they can, but they are still at the top of the 2nd tier, with PSU solely on top of the mountain!

Edited to ADD:

When all is said and done, PSU has OWNED the last decade and it isn't even close.  No matter how you frame an anti-PSU argument, 10 years of dominance can't be ignored or swept under the rug by ANY set of data.  Hell the 2nd closest average placement team over that 10 year span is Iowa and they only finished 1st or 2nd 1 time each. Hell, the ONLY other team to finish top 10 every year is Cornell!

Last 10:

_____________1st________2nd___________3rd________________4th__________________Top 5___________________________Top10

PSU................8..................0......................0..............................0....................................8.....................................................10-8 wins a 6th and 9th

Iowa...............1..................1.......................3.............................4....................................10...................................................10-All top 5's

Cornell...........0..................2.......................0.............................1.....................................5....................................................10-5 top 5's and 7,7,7,7,8

OkState.........0..................2.......................3.............................1.....................................6......................................................9-6 top 5's and 6,6,7 and 13

tOSU..............1..................3.......................1.............................0.....................................5......................................................9-5 top 5's and 6,6,8 and 29

Minn..............0..................2.......................1.............................0.....................................3......................................................8-3 top 5's and 7,7,7,8,13 and 17

Yeah for sure. The problem for Iowa though is they haven’t won a title in forever. Iowa fans expect titles. 

It is different for some other top teams. Michigan is rarely considered a real title threat. Their fans are pumped when they make the podium. 

Ohio State prior to their win wasn’t expected to win. Now they are of course, but it has only been a few years. They also were neck and neck with PSU 2 season ago, and won Big10s, so their fans were somewhat happy. 

Iowa demands titles. No excuses. Iowa is the incumbent and PSU has been ****ting all over them. This could change in 19/20...cannot wait for this season. Such a weird dynamic with half the stars shirting 

14 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah for sure. The problem for Iowa though is they haven’t won a title in forever. Iowa fans expect titles. 

It is different for some other top teams. Michigan is rarely considered a real title threat. Their fans are pumped when they make the podium. 

Ohio State prior to their win wasn’t expected to win. Now they are of course, but it has only been a few years. They also were neck and neck with PSU 2 season ago, and won Big10s, so their fans were somewhat happy. 

Iowa demands titles. No excuses. Iowa is the incumbent and PSU has been ****ting all over them. This could change in 19/20...cannot wait for this season. Such a weird dynamic with half the stars shirting 

The Iowa THEMSELVES demanding titles part, I fully agree with.  But, those arguing on here ARE NOT Iowa fans.  Iowa HAS BEEN the 2nd best team under Iowa the past 10 seasons.  The stats don't lie.  The past 5, it has been tOSU with Iowa just behind.  

Simply put, many are pushing the Iowa narrative without actually being an Iowa fan.  THAT is what I was arguing against........

Edited by MSU158