Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Cornell looks to be punting this year

14 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Cornell was actually a STRONG preseason favorite in 2010-2011.  A lot of things had to happen to change that and they still had a solid chance to win going into NCAA’s. 

Things that changed it:

1.)PSU emerged big time in Cael’s 2nd season. I don’t think anyone thought Taylor and Ruth would be that good right off the bat. 38 points from 2 freshman. Wright won it as a 9 seed and Molinaro chose down. Still, it took Long transferring to put them over the top. 

2. Cornell had several guys not quite live up to Pre season billing. Perelli fell way short and Grey missed the podium as well.   Villalonga got beat out at 141. Kerber missed the podium. Lewnes  got Ruthed multiple times.  Simaz lost a crazy 1 to Kilgore in the semis to end up 3rd as the 1 seed.  Dake won it and Bosak took 4th. 

Cornell lost by 14. Grey and Kerber just taking 7th would have put them right there or preseason #1s Simaz and Lewnes making the Finals May have been enough. 

Wright winning it from the 9 seed was huge, too. He ran a gauntlet. Fausey, Steinhaus, Honeycutt, Gambrall and Hamlin. 

If I’m not misremembering Mack Lewnes was thought to be a strong #1 and I want to say he had been taken down like 1-2x in the previous 2 years.  Then of course he met Ruth.

Just now, madcat11 said:

If I’m not misremembering Mack Lewnes was thought to be a strong #1 and I want to say he had been taken down like 1-2x in the previous 2 years.  Then of course he met Ruth.

Yep!

2 hours ago, madcat11 said:

Yep, he was the runner-up the year before and didn’t give up a takedown all year until Jay Borschel took him down twice in the final.