nhs67

Pan Am Games Draws

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/August/06/Team-USA-receives-draws-for-Pan-Am-Games-in-all-three-styles?fbclid=IwAR1rIl3tGePk0DhnsCER7EGU915Gaw8jrz1D2VwXtAk_MBJiN8eV6H9jYw0

So the future has an American first round. Lowell, MI native Angus Arthur.

Edited by nhs67
(Disclaimer-this is an attempt to feed the trolls)-FYI

How is Angus Arthur wrestling for a different country? He is a tough kid, I would think Downey will beat him.
Really though, now im looking for an answer. Born and raised in Michigan. Hmmmm I found some audio about it but really dont want to listen to the whole thing. Hope somebody chimes in. Im going to assume Cool Runnings inspired him.

Angus Arthur is on the very first Olympic Jamaican wrestling team — but he’s from the United States! He’s traveling the world on the Olympic circuit, going All In on his dream of winning big at the upcoming Olympic Games. 

Tune in to hear how:
A self-described farm boy fell in love with Jamaica Angus used his early diagnosis of ADD to be even better at accomplishing his goals; and how his time on the farm helped regulate his symptoms Angus gets sponsors on board with his dream There’s a healthy way to be selfish  
The One Thing: When losing is your biggest fear, winning becomes easier because you’ll do anything not to lose

Fix will have Ortega in the semi from Cuba who was 5th in the world last year. A good test. Burroughs semi from Cuba is a multiple time world medalist who is pretty old (like 4 or 5 medals from 2005 to 2010), plus he will see Gomez. Downey will see Torreblanca in semis. Snyder has Salas Perez in his semi. I know nothing about 125kg.

Fix will have Ortega in the semi from Cuba who was 5th in the world last year. A good test. Burroughs semi from Cuba is a multiple time world medalist who is pretty old (like 4 or 5 medals from 2005 to 2010), plus he will see Gomez. Downey will see Torreblanca in semis. Snyder has Salas Perez in his semi. I know nothing about 125kg.
Yeah we will absolutely get some great tests.
Could be a big confidence booster for PD3 and that match could get chippy.

Listened to this Angus Arthur interview,
Hes been frequenting Jamaica since 2mnths old (his parents vacation 2 months at a time there)
He saw a flyer 7 years ago on FB or something about them wanting to start a wrestling team and he applied for citizenship and here we are.
He also has worked out with Usain Bolt.... ok done listening

1 hour ago, buckeyehomer said:

Fix will have Ortega in the semi from Cuba who was 5th in the world last year. A good test. Burroughs semi from Cuba is a multiple time world medalist who is pretty old (like 4 or 5 medals from 2005 to 2010), plus he will see Gomez. Downey will be hoping Arthur beats Torreblanca to pull him back in to repecharge. Snyder has Salas Perez in his semi. I know nothing about 125kg.

FIFY

10 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i just looked at arthur's profile and i think downey techs him inside of a minute.

Yeah there is no reason to think Downey doesn't win easily, however, if he doesn't... it'll cause an ish storm.
If he does though and somehow sneaks past Torreblanca,  I think he will gain some respect domestically.
but real talk, he isn't DT and large percentage of our fanbase hate him because he isnt... And they have no clue who Torreblanca is.
So meh.... Go Downey.
Win it, be semi humble?>  Please

All of the below are American guys. 

86 kg: Pat Downey (Princeton, N.J./Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)
vs. Angus Arthur (Jamaica), seventh at 2019 Senior Pan Ams

97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
vs. Evan Ramos (Puerto Rico), bronze at 2019 Senior Pan Ams

125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowski (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)
vs. Andrew Gunning (Peru), bronze in freestyle and Greco at 2018 Junior Pan Ams

1 minute ago, mostTD said:

All of the below are American guys. 

86 kg: Pat Downey (Princeton, N.J./Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)
vs. Angus Arthur (Jamaica), seventh at 2019 Senior Pan Ams

97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
vs. Evan Ramos (Puerto Rico), bronze at 2019 Senior Pan Ams

125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowski (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)
vs. Andrew Gunning (Peru), bronze in freestyle and Greco at 2018 Junior Pan Ams

Gunning and Ramos too?

Evan is Ethan of UNC? I thought Ethan was at 86kg.

5 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

This is excellent. Fix is an underdog bs Ortega but I think he can pull it off late. 

Downey vs Torreblanca will reach us a lot. Torrevlanca is extremely hard to score on and is excellent in the clinch. 

Burroughs I bet beats Gomez by a lot. I think the last match passed him off. Excited to watch 

Salas Perez vs Snyder could go many ways, but almost all scenarios end up with Snyder on top. Question is, will it be by 1 point or a tech...hard to tell

the level of competition is higher than I thought it would be

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah there is no reason to think Downey doesn't win easily, however, if he doesn't... it'll cause an ish storm.
If he does though and somehow sneaks past Torreblanca,  I think he will gain some respect domestically.
but real talk, he isn't DT and large percentage of our fanbase hate him because he isnt... And they have no clue who Torreblanca is.
So meh.... Go Downey.
Win it, be semi humble?>  Please

I will be very impressed if Downey takes out Torreblanca. The only way this wouldn’t be super impressive if it is clear Torreblanca hasn’t been training. Like if he gassed in a minute. Cuba does that during the off season sometimes. 

I think I’m most excited about that matchup. Let’s do this thing Downey! This is your shot. 

60 kg GR Final X champion Ildar Hafizov just lost his first match to a Colombian wrestler.

The Pan Am Games are no joke, I've always had great respect for them. Yes, we're going to dominate, but many if not most of our guys will have good, solid, serious competition.

Edited by fightingsioux
punctuation

I will be very impressed if Downey takes out Torreblanca. The only way this wouldn’t be super impressive if it is clear Torreblanca hasn’t been training. Like if he gassed in a minute. Cuba does that during the off season sometimes. 

I think I’m most excited about that matchup. Let’s do this thing Downey! This is your shot. 

To be honest even if Torreblanca was blatantly gassed after the first 3 min and Downey ended up losing by a close margin.

Id be more encouraged than current.

I predict like a 5-1 "get ahead and coast" type match for the Cuban but if its like a 7-5 match where Downey creates some scoring opportunities, I'll be spitting all types of "medal threat" talk across these boards.

Just please beat the Ghost White Jamacian first

21 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

To be honest even if Torreblanca was blatantly gassed after the first 3 min and Downey ended up losing by a close margin.

Id be more encouraged than current.

I predict like a 5-1 "get ahead and coast" type match for the Cuban but if its like a 7-5 match where Downey creates some scoring opportunities, I'll be spitting all types of "medal threat" talk across these boards.

Just please beat the Ghost White Jamacian first

“Nuff people say they know they can’t believe, Jamaica we have a wrestling team!”