nhs67

Pan Am Games Draws

“Nuff people say they know they can’t believe, Jamaica we have a wrestling team!”
That movie never gets the respect it deserves. Its basically Downey. Augustus Glute is just a sad casualty.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

This is excellent. Fix is an underdog bs Ortega but I think he can pull it off late. 

Downey vs Torreblanca will reach us a lot. Torrevlanca is extremely hard to score on and is excellent in the clinch. 

Burroughs I bet beats Gomez by a lot. I think the last match passed him off. Excited to watch 

Salas Perez vs Snyder could go many ways, but almost all scenarios end up with Snyder on top. Question is, will it be by 1 point or a tech...hard to tell

the level of competition is higher than I thought it would be

How many times does Burroughs need to almost lose (or actually lose) before people realize that he's not the same type of dominant as he used to be. Don't get me wrong, he's still an elite title contender, but he's going to be in a lot of battles. The Gomez match will be tight if I had to guess.

How many times does Burroughs need to almost lose (or actually lose) before people realize that he's not the same type of dominant as he used to be. Don't get me wrong, he's still an elite title contender, but he's going to be in a lot of battles. The Gomez match will be tight if I had to guess.
How many people are going to reference his decline in dominance without realizing he's more known for clutch scoring than blowing people out. Its been that way since international year #1

18 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Apart from having Downey-ish hair, did Angus have any success in college?

No.

He was supposed to go to Michigan State but ended up enrolled at Adrian then somehow back at Michigan State when the Adrian HC went there. No actual competition from him though.

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:
2 hours ago, qc8223 said:

How many people are going to reference his decline in dominance without realizing he's more known for clutch scoring than blowing people out. Its been that way since international year #1

He was known for being clutch in his scoring against guys like Tsargush, Goudarzi, and other title contenders, not guys who haven't medalled in 8 years. In his prime, he beat guys like Gomez comfortably. 

He was known for being clutch in his scoring against guys like Tsargush, Goudarzi, and other title contenders, not guys who haven't medalled in 8 years. In his prime, he beat guys like Gomez comfortably. 

Cept for Marable. :)

Gomez is a world Silver. .

Look at JBs wiki, scroll to the bottom and be surprised by the amount of 1 takedown matches hes won over people who have STILL never even medaled .

Love me some JB, pay attention to all things USA but I think the. decline is being greatly exaggerated.

Is there one other person youd favor over "current" Chamizo in a h2h? From the last 10 years?

He's the only one (in my book... not a Sidakov believer) that has the "advantage"... he's still just as good as ever before

22 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Look at JBs wiki, scroll to the bottom and be surprised by the amount of 1 takedown matches hes won over people who have STILL never even medaled .

Love me some JB, pay attention to all things USA but I think the. decline is being greatly exaggerated.

Is there one other person youd favor over "current" Chamizo in a h2h? From the last 10 years?

He's the only one (in my book... not a Sidakov believer) that has the "advantage"... he's still just as good as ever before

So long as Dake is to form, if he makes 74kg he is taking Chamizo out 10 of 10.

Regardless of the Ringer match. Ringer will be 86kg next year and contend.

10 of 10 huh?
Thats confidence.
We'll see if he makes the team.

22 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

10 of 10 huh?
Thats confidence.
We'll see if he makes the team.

The only way Chamizo doesn't is if he doesn't even go out next year due to injury or retirement. 

The only way Chamizo doesn't is if he doesn't even go out next year due to injury or retirement. 
Glad you're so confident.
Love the idea of the USA being unstoppable. Maybe we should revisit this sentiment afted worlds.
Anyway, I doubt Dake makes the Olympic team. And Chamizo/JB are a coinflip. I'm sure we will see the Dake/Chamizo hypothetical over the next year but man... on the whole I never understand the guy who can't admit the top 3 at any weight (aside from 97kg) can all beat each other.....
Just, come on

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Glad you're so confident.
Love the idea of the USA being unstoppable. Maybe we should revisit this sentiment afted worlds.
Anyway, I doubt Dake makes the Olympic team. And Chamizo/JB are a coinflip. I'm sure we will see the Dake/Chamizo hypothetical over the next year but man... on the whole I never understand the guy who can't admit the top 3 at any weight (aside from 97kg) can all beat each other.....
Just, come on

It was a joke, bruv.

I thought it pretty clever too. Because I twisted what you said to mean 'Let us see if Chamizo makes the team...'

In all seriousness I believe Dake is a horrible match for Chamizo.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Chamizo and Dake would be a low scoring match.   1-1 on shot clock points.  The advantage goes to Chamizo since Dake usually wrestles the first thirty seconds with an offensive mind.

11 hours ago, spladle08 said:

He has obviously "declined" as everyone who is at this levebfor 10 years for the most part.  However, there are some other things to keep I'm mind.

1) most wrestlers that start their "decline" don't make it back to the team.  The fact that JB has made so many teams and won soamy medals is a statement that his decline actually hasn't been that much.  I mean the fact is that the debate is that he doesn't "dominante". He has been on more teams and gone longer than anyone other than big Bruce (by longer I mean for someone who can actually make the team).  So I agree that the decline is overexagerated.  I mean we debate his decline from being a gold medalist to a bronze medal it at worse (with the exception of once).  Meanwhile a bronze is most peoples peak. 

2) after what, like 8 years, he has probably been scouted more than any wrestlers in the world. It is hard to be as dominante when people are cautious.  The fact he has been able to adjust and still win speak to the opposite of a decline.  He has eveolved as anyone has too but few can do so effectively. 

3) he has more international wins than anyone in the country... Ever... And he is still a gold medal threat and legit medal contender.  He has what about 7 losses in his international career with 3 coming from Americans who are solely training to beat him (Marable, Dake, Imar), 2 to chamizo, and 2 to Russians.  

Has he "declined"? Sure.  But I agree with spladle.  It is exaggerated

It was a joke, bruv.
I thought it pretty clever too. Because I twisted what you said to mean 'Let us see if Chamizo makes the team...'
In all seriousness I believe Dake is a horrible match for Chamizo.
I was into the brews. Im sure I missed any humor.
But i really feel Worlds this year and Olympics next, the story will end up being . Chamizo vs Burroughs.
Excited to see it play out. Will be sad to see JB retire (i assume he will hang em up after Olympics)

14 hours ago, nhs67 said:

No.

He was supposed to go to Michigan State but ended up enrolled at Adrian then somehow back at Michigan State when the Adrian HC went there. No actual competition from him though.

Looks like he did take 4th in D3 as a freshman - 

https://www.d3wrestle.com/williams-leaves-adrian-returns-to-msu/

Was apparently also a cadet world team member prior to college

https://adrianbulldogs.com/sports/m-wrestl/2015-16/bios/arthur_angus_vcdn?view=bio

33 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Looks like he did take 4th in D3 as a freshman - 

https://www.d3wrestle.com/williams-leaves-adrian-returns-to-msu/

Was apparently also a cadet world team member prior to college

https://adrianbulldogs.com/sports/m-wrestl/2015-16/bios/arthur_angus_vcdn?view=bio

Arthur was a good D3 wrestler for sure. His losses were to the national champ in the semis, and the returning national champ for 3rd. That being said, our world team rep should win.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Tip of the cap to Pat Smith on Gold. Hes been tough this last year, would be nice to see him snag a medal at Worlds.

I really only expect a medal out of Coon, but maybe we will be surprised.

What is even more impressive is I think he quit cutting weight like 5 years ago. Wasn't he like our 63 or 67 runner-up a few years back?