Creek chub

Mehki Lewis oly shirt?

I know this topic has been discussed somewhat but the hokie board says mehki trained at the OTC a week or two ago and he’s going back out there with frayer at the end of the month. 

I’m a FS novice fan and don’t understand how the qualification process works. If mehki decides to use his oly shirt and doesn’t make the team, is that a big deal? 

Also, how many slots are there per weight class?

I know this topic has been discussed somewhat but the hokie board says mehki trained at the OTC a week or two ago and he’s going back out there with frayer at the end of the month. 
I’m a FS novice fan and don’t understand how the qualification process works. If mehki decides to use his oly shirt and doesn’t make the team, is that a big deal? 

No big deal regarding NCAA eligibility if he takes his ORS. He’ll just be deferring graduation by a year.

One Olympic slot per weight class. National team is considered top three at each weight, which has ties to funding for training - but that won’t be determined until after his ORS season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

No big deal regarding NCAA eligibility if he takes his ORS. He’ll just be deferring graduation by a year.

One Olympic slot per weight class. National team is considered top three at each weight, which has ties to funding for training - but that won’t be determined until after his ORS season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. It’ll be interesting to see hear his decision. I believe frayer said he’d make it by the end of August 

I believe what he was asking was how many folks are allowed to take a Oly-shirt per weight class.

The criteria does not have a quantity maximum. If 25 kids wish to chase it at 74kg and they meet the criteria, they can all Oly-shirt 

4 hours ago, Creek chub said:

You just need to qualify for the Olympic shirt to take it. You don’t even have to wrestle at trials. 

The major downside is you cannot enroll in classes.

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

You just need to qualify for the Olympic shirt to take it. You don’t even have to wrestle at trials. 

The major downside is you cannot enroll in classes.

Dang, I wonder how that impacts financial aid and scholarships? Almost seems prohibitive unless the athletes’ families can cover the costs or they get jobs to cover living expenses. I worked my way thru college but didn’t compete though. 

13 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Dang, I wonder how that impacts financial aid and scholarships? Almost seems prohibitive unless the athletes’ families can cover the costs or they get jobs to cover living expenses. I worked my way thru college but didn’t compete though. 

It does not affect either. Students cannot enroll in any academic courses at any accredited school, so it is essentially pressing pause for the school year. When a student returns, it is as if they never stopped.

7 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

It does not affect either. Students cannot enroll in any academic courses at any accredited school, so it is essentially pressing pause for the school year. When a student returns, it is as if they never stopped.

Why would we have a rule that slowed down someone's pursuit of an education?  What am I missing?   Can anyone share the rationale? 

16 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I'll take "People used it as a second redshirt" for a thousand.

I get that I guess; they are pushing out another year of eligibility regardless.  No sense not getting an education.  Maybe people are less inclined to take it if it extends their education years.  If I was a student another free year of tuition and moire credits would be pretty sweet.   Easy to say when you're in your 50s I guess. 

3 hours ago, TFBJR said:

I get that I guess; they are pushing out another year of eligibility regardless.  No sense not getting an education.  Maybe people are less inclined to take it if it extends their education years.  If I was a student another free year of tuition and moire credits would be pretty sweet.   Easy to say when you're in your 50s I guess. 

why do ncaa football players declare for draft in junior or sophmore year?

why do basketball players do their one year and then on to the draft?

why do baseball players declare straight out of high school?

the answer is $$$.  While you can't ignore the "second redshirt" opinion (and I do believe it is a valuable one) the other factor weighing in here is if you can take the ORS for what it was truly intended for - to improve at your olympic level competition, gain access to OTC and other high level training, etc - it will ultimately increase your chance to earn more $$$ as a high level athlete down the road.

I think we are far form the point of the above mentioned sports where education is simply a requirement to participate in the sport - but I do believe it is becoming less important as more money enters our sport.

3 hours ago, Witherman said:

why do ncaa football players declare for draft in junior or sophmore year?

why do basketball players do their one year and then on to the draft?

why do baseball players declare straight out of high school?

the answer is $$$.  While you can't ignore the "second redshirt" opinion (and I do believe it is a valuable one) the other factor weighing in here is if you can take the ORS for what it was truly intended for - to improve at your olympic level competition, gain access to OTC and other high level training, etc - it will ultimately increase your chance to earn more $$$ as a high level athlete down the road.

I think we are far form the point of the above mentioned sports where education is simply a requirement to participate in the sport - but I do believe it is becoming less important as more money enters our sport.

But why not be able to take a class or 2 if you want to?   That is my question.    To forbid enrollment / classes seems counter intuitive. 

4 minutes ago, AIW-HS said:

My question is if he is doing this why has he not competed in any FS events up until this point?

Just speculating, but after a world championship and NCAA title, take a breather of competition, focus on specific technique and tactial work, focus on 2020 FS season leading up to trials. I imagine with him being new to the discipline they felt that was more important than getting in the competitions.

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, AIW-HS said:

My question is if he is doing this why has he not competed in any FS events up until this point?

Frayer said he took time off from competing since he was getting burnt out. He trained for junior world and then straight into ncaa. 

12 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Lurker,

Understood, but has he wrestled at all competitively since March? Just curious?

I don't believe so but can't say 100%.  Pretty sure he spent some time in Colorado thought.

Edit: Yeah what Chub 

Edited by Lurker

I seriously hope that everyone comes to the trials healthy. Seems like there are multiple people at almost every weight that win the Olympic Team spot. Only 97kg seems like a lock as to the rep (assumes Cox drops).

Edited by JeanGuy

2 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I seriously hope that everyone comes to the trials healthy. Seems like there are multiple people at almost every weight that win the Olympic Team spot. Only 97kg seems like a lock as to the rep (assumes Cox drops).

Yup. 86 and 74 will be especially stacked next year. I mean look at 86 for example: Taylor, Cox, Bo, Ringer, Valencia, Hall, Martin, Moore, Downey, Hidlay, Brooks. 

And then you have 74: Burroughs, Dake, Imar, Nolf, Green, Lewis, Carr. 

Trials are going to be fun.

19 hours ago, AIW-HS said:

After the ncaa season his coaches decided he needed a break. He took a few weeks off he mat completely. I trust their judgement. Sounds like he was a bit burned out, having gone straight through from the freestyle season to NCAAs. He didn’t expect to do that, especially after placing 5th (I think?) at the junior open. All of a sudden he won trials, trained for junior worlds, won, putting a to. Of pressure on him. Then stumbled a bit but ended up winning NCAAs over a stacked field...he understandably needed some time off. 

He got back on the mat a few weeks ago. I’m sure he will be entering some freestyle tournaments soon.