Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

Early Look @ 2020 Recruiting Class

Flo just came out with their list of the top 200 guys for the 2020 graduating class.  Although there are still a lot of kids who have not committed the 2020 recruiting classes are shaping up. 

OSU appears to be the early front runner with 5 guys including Plott,and Mastro.  Cornell has 6 guys including Saunders and Greg D.  Surprisingly the other OSU doesn't have anyone committed yet.  Here is a list of some of the better looking recruiting classes with the # of wrestlers and the wrestlers rankings in Flo's top 200.

1 - OSU (5) #s 2 - 11 - 20 - 28 & 78

2 - Cornell (6) #s 8 - 14 - 33 - 44 - 77 & 120

3 - Iowa (4) #s 6 - 16 - 52 -&110

4 - Neb (4) #s 9 - 17 - 26 - & 57

5 - PSU (2) #s 4 & 7

6 - Va Tech (4) #s 15 - 23 - 24 & 75

7 - NC St (5) #s 12 - 35 - 60 - 143 - & 151

8 - Miss (3) #s 5 - 13 & 46

8 - Rutgers (4) #s 29 - 54 - 65 & 108

9 - Army (4) #s 42 - 124 - 144 & 179

10 - Campbell (3) #s 70 - 82 & 136

It will be interesting to see who can fill out these classes with the guys who are uncommitted. 

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Ohio St and Penn St have gotten so much talent in recent years that have to have most of their 9.9 spoken for already. Even Iowa should be in a similar situation. 

Right.  Quality over quantity with most of the money tied up at the moment.  PSU graduated some big numbers but has their their greyshirt brigade coming on the books now.

tOSU's class of 2018 and 2019 were huge... Pletcher and Moore graduating only frees up enough for one or two guys, which is why they're going in hard for Kollin's replacement.  It looks like their first visit was to Ferrari, which makes me think Amos is headed to Stillwater.  

7 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Right.  Quality over quantity with most of the money tied up at the moment.  PSU graduated some big numbers but has their their greyshirt brigade coming on the books now.

tOSU's class of 2018 and 2019 were huge... Pletcher and Moore graduating only frees up enough for one or two guys, which is why they're going in hard for Kollin's replacement.  It looks like their first visit was to Ferrari, which makes me think Amos is headed to Stillwater.  

As a buckeye fan, I'm hoping they go for Amos instead of Ferrari.  I have this feeling that Amos still has a lot of "maturing" to do, and a lot of technique to still learn, giving him more upside. 

When I see Ferrari wrestle, I see slickness and polish (elements of physical maturing, in my own mind at least), and do not perceive his upside to be as high. 

From what I know (limited) about personality, it also seems that Amos' personality would fit nicely with Snyder, Moore, Mymar, Kerk, etc.  Ferrari comes across with a different personality, and may not fit as nicely. 

My two cents, my logic is probably flawed, and I'm probably way out in left field, but... it is what it is.

10 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Ferrari will end up at Hwt, imo. I could be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

As a buckeye fan, I'm hoping they go for Amos instead of Ferrari.  I have this feeling that Amos still has a lot of "maturing" to do, and a lot of technique to still learn, giving him more upside. 

When I see Ferrari wrestle, I see slickness and polish (elements of physical maturing, in my own mind at least), and do not perceive his upside to be as high. 

From what I know (limited) about personality, it also seems that Amos' personality would fit nicely with Snyder, Moore, Mymar, Kerk, etc.  Ferrari comes across with a different personality, and may not fit as nicely. 

My two cents, my logic is probably flawed, and I'm probably way out in left field, but... it is what it is.

That's fair.  I'm not sure given the choice between the two who Ryan & Co. would choose.  I'm just trying to read the tea leaves re: the visit to Ferrari.  Amos doesn't live far away though, so it's probable they paid both a visit on day 1 of the recruiting season.  

As far as personality fit, I don't think that's an issue at all.  It's not a bad thing to have a few guys on your team with a little "look at me" in them.  A kid with his talent, if he's willing to put in the work, is a slam dunk.  

59 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Ohio St and Penn St have gotten so much talent in recent years that have to have most of their 9.9 spoken for already. Even Iowa should be in a similar situation. 

Depending on academic scholarships and financial aid - if you get the right student athlete they can save a program $ by not having to use as much wrestling scholarship $. It literally pays to recruit on academics with all things relatively equal in wrestling.

59 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Amos to Stillwater just makes sense. 

I really Hope Ferrari ends up at Rutgers. I want them to continue building (they are also in driving distance for me) plus I think that environment will suit him well. Ferrari is a bit of a tough guy and is a bit rough off the mat. I don’t mean that in a bad way - it is an interesting part of who he is. He seems like a good guy overall. 

50 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Ferrari will end up at Hwt, imo. I could be wrong. 

Man I hope not. Heavy will be stacked. 197 is still looking pretty bad for at least another 2 years. At hvwt he will be one of the contenders at best. 

11 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

T-bar let me ask you a question or anybody else who is a Penn State fan or in the know. If you had to guess who on Penn State's roster would you say is on a full ride? I know some of them could possibly have some academic money thrown in that makes it full but for the purposes of this who do you think is on full wrestling money?

10 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

T-bar let me ask you a question or anybody else who is a Penn State fan or in the know. If you had to guess who on Penn State's roster would you say is on a full ride? I know some of them could possibly have some academic money thrown in that makes it full but for the purposes of this who do you think is on full wrestling money?

I have no idea. Being a fan allows no access to that sort of information and anything I would guess would be just that, a guess. 

On 8/8/2019 at 9:25 AM, treep2000 said:

So... based on the latest Flowrestling video with AJ Ferrari, it looks like he's intent on going 97kg in freestyle in 2020 (good luck with that, btw), and then heavyweight for his NCAA career (stating that he wants to get to 255).  

If that's the case, PSU does make a ton of sense for him, as he and Cassar could train together, and be a lethal B2B combo with Beard and Ferrari.  

Thoughts?

On 8/8/2019 at 10:39 AM, lu1979 said:

Cornell has 6 guys including Saunders and Greg D. 

A few months ago - in almost identical fashion to his older brother Yianni - Greg D. shredded his ACL. He won't be healed in time for the start of his senior high school season, but he may return at some point during the season if all goes well. Or, he could be conservative and sit out his senior year (like Yianni did, due to injuries) and just focus on college and his freestyle career. If Greg competes this year, he's going for his 5th NYS wrestling title.

4 hours ago, treep2000 said:

So... based on the latest Flowrestling video with AJ Ferrari, it looks like he's intent on going 97kg in freestyle in 2020 (good luck with that, btw), and then heavyweight for his NCAA career (stating that he wants to get to 255).  

If that's the case, PSU does make a ton of sense for him, as he and Cassar could train together, and be a lethal B2B combo with Beard and Ferrari.  

Thoughts?

PSU has S Nevills already, as Ohio St has Kerkliviet  - of the schools he mentioned in  his interview OSU seems to have the biggest need at hvywt along with Rutgers & Nebraska.

14 hours ago, lu1979 said:

PSU has S Nevills already, as Ohio St has Kerkliviet  - of the schools he mentioned in  his interview OSU seems to have the biggest need at hvywt along with Rutgers & Nebraska.

Fair point.  Also supports how tOSU should continue to pursue Amos, especially if he is targeting 197 as his home.  

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Fair point.  Also supports how tOSU should continue to pursue Amos, especially if he is targeting 197 as his home.  

Also a tOSU supporter, and since I live in Columbus have seen Dublin Coffman's Seth Shumate a number of times. Just incredible. State champ, Fargo FS & GC champ at 195. If you haven't seen his throws, check out some of the videos on YouTube. Yes, way too early to think about college, he's only going to be a soph, but I know he's on Ryan's radar.

Still strongly believe Amos is coming to Columbus. But if not we're still OK: this year Singletary at heavy and Moore at 97, next year Kerkvliet at heavy and Singletary at 97.

Edited by fightingsioux

1 hour ago, fightingsioux said:

Also a tOSU supporter, and since I live in Columbus have seen Dublin Coffman's Seth Shumate a number of times. Just incredible. State champ, Fargo FS & GC champ at 195. If you haven't seen his throws, check out some of the videos on YouTube. Yes, way too early to think about college, he's only going to be a soph, but I know he's on Ryan's radar.

Still strongly believe Amos is coming to Columbus. But if not we're still OK: this year Singletary at heavy and Moore at 97, next year Kerkvliet at heavy and Singletary at 97.

I'm a former Ohio Native (NE Ohio), and am relegated to watching on Flo.  But yes, I too have seen Shumate's recent matches via Flo, and he's definitely impressive.  

What a coincidence! About 20 minutes ago Seth Shumate committed to Ohio State! Very early, he's got a long way to go, but he's going to be a very, very good one.

Gantry: that I don't know, but it certainly is unusual in any state. As I mentioned before, watch a few of his matches at Fargo or at the Ohio State Championships. He is a force.

Edited by fightingsioux