Crotalus

Spencer Lee talks about freestyle

Kind of. He didn't discuss why he didn't wrestle this summer, but he will be making a run at the 2020 Olympic team. Said he is not a fan of Olympic redshirts, but would be open to it if T&T thought he should.

Interview with Askren on the Rudis podcast:

7 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Kind of. He didn't discuss why he didn't wrestle this summer, but he will be making a run at the 2020 Olympic team. Said he is not a fan of Olympic redshirts, but would be open to it if T&T thought he should.

Interview with Askren on the Rudis podcast:

If he's not a fan of it then why would he be open to it? Hell maybe I'm just being a doofus.

His coaches naturally want him to win another NCAA championship. Is that the best idea if he wants Olympic gold? I don't know. But I would not trust his coaches to give unbiased advice.

8 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Maybe he has faith in his coaches who have some pretty good experience.  

Yeah, that is basically what he said. He will do whatever T&T say is best for him. And he brought it up, not Askren, so it must be something that is at least being tossed around. That said, most people seem to believe this year is Iowa's best chance to make a run at PSU (how much of a chance is up for debate), so would they abandon any chance at a team title so he can chase Olympic glory? I assume they will have to decide quickly, given the school year is going to start soon.

I really wish Askren would have asked Spencer why he hasn't wrestled any freestyle the past two years. He may plead the fifth, but you have to ask, right?

Edited by Crotalus

Gonna listen to the full interview later on at work, but honestly I really don’t get all the hand wringing about Spencer not wrestling freestyle. I understand that he’s a talent with a very legit crack at making our current lineup, but it seems to me that a lot of posters here have forgotten Spencer is entitled to his own personal goals, not just our desire as fans to bring home a medal at 57 kg. Lee can’t even drink legally yet, and will be 25 by the time 2024 rolls around. Barring severe injury/other acts of god, his window to compete on the senior level will be open for years to come. At the same time, maybe Spencer has the goal of being a four timer? Not to mention his chances to be on a national champion TEAM are already halfway over. Plus the kid has wrestled about as much as humanly possible over the last five six years, and battled health concerns these past few seasons. Brands and co get a bad rep on these forums for being old school guys who are set in their ways of trying to grind through EVERYTHING, but I see them rather smartly playing the long game with Spencer by building time off into what would otherwise be essentially year round training cycles between free and folk

29 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Gonna listen to the full interview later on at work, but honestly I really don’t get all the hand wringing about Spencer not wrestling freestyle. I understand that he’s a talent with a very legit crack at making our current lineup, but it seems to me that a lot of posters here have forgotten Spencer is entitled to his own personal goals, not just our desire as fans to bring home a medal at 57 kg. Lee can’t even drink legally yet, and will be 25 by the time 2024 rolls around. Barring severe injury/other acts of god, his window to compete on the senior level will be open for years to come. At the same time, maybe Spencer has the goal of being a four timer? Not to mention his chances to be on a national champion TEAM are already halfway over. Plus the kid has wrestled about as much as humanly possible over the last five six years, and battled health concerns these past few seasons. Brands and co get a bad rep on these forums for being old school guys who are set in their ways of trying to grind through EVERYTHING, but I see them rather smartly playing the long game with Spencer by building time off into what would otherwise be essentially year round training cycles between free and folk

None of us are entitled to anything from these athletes. But that doesn't mean we can't be curious. Especially given how much freestyle he has wrestled in the past and his stated goals of becoming world/Olympic champ. I would think that anyone that has the opportunity to interview Spencer would at least prod him a little bit to try and figure out why he hasn't wrestled even a little freestyle in the past two years. If he doesn't want to answer, he doesn't have to. But I am glad to hear he is going to give it a run next year. (I think Fix will be the man to beat, though)

Also, he doesn't talk about freestyle/future plans until the very end. Most of the interview is focused on his career up until now. Still interesting, though.

Edited by Crotalus

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

If this were true, nobody would be asking why he sat out two seasons worth of freestyle while in college.

Not to mention the FS season prior to college. That’s three consecutive years out of the “past five or six”

Not to mention the FS season prior to college. That’s three consecutive years out of the “past five or six”
Well, he did have ACL surgery after his HS senior season, so that one is not such a mystery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Well, he did have ACL surgery after his HS senior season, so that one is not such a mystery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And he had a grind (meaning he didnt exactly look like a world beater every match) his freshman year which could have been the brace, or he was still getting in the groove of things, and didnt think he was ready to take on the world. His sophomore year, though people like to pretend he was 100% and just well scouted, he noticeably looked off, I dont blame him for taking the freestyle season off. If he had looked 100% all year, then there would definitely be some questions.

Edited by Molsen

7 hours ago, Molsen said:

And he had a grind (meaning he didnt exactly look like a world beater every match) his freshman year which could have been the brace, or he was still getting in the groove of things, and didnt think he was ready to take on the world. His sophomore year, though people like to pretend he was 100% and just well scouted, he noticeably looked off, I dont blame him for taking the freestyle season off. If he had looked 100% all year, then there would definitely be some questions.

This is a good point. Askren, being an amateur at interviewing, didn't ask about any of this.

21 minutes ago, NJDan said:

This is a good point. Askren, being an amateur at interviewing, didn't ask about any of this.

Yeah, I'm not sure if they agreed prior to the interview not to discuss it, or if Askren, being a competitor himself, knew Lee wouldn't answer. But if you are going to interview someone, you have got to prod them a little bit to try to get something interesting out of them. It could be a simple as he hasn't felt 100% in the last three years and is just trying to get right before the Olympic year. But you've got to put him on the spot.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Askren said on the podcast previous to this one that he was going to take it easy on Spencer in this interview. Probably one of the reasons he came on. 

On 8/9/2019 at 6:52 AM, NJDan said:

His coaches naturally want him to win another NCAA championship. Is that the best idea if he wants Olympic gold? I don't know. But I would not trust his coaches to give unbiased advice.

The coaches still have him for 2 more seasons whether her red shirts or not. Wouldn't they want to have an Olympic medalist with 2 NCAA titles on their team for a couple years?