leshismore

If a U.S. wrestler goes overseas to train [which many have done], HOW LONG is acceptable?

The thoughtfulness of the opinions in this thread is refreshing after listening to Pyle's inane xenophobic rants on the topic for too long.  I think, and would hope, that our athletes never bank on defeating their opponents by denying them resources that our athletes get only by virtue of being born here.  This isn't zero-sum, and elite guys training and living in different environments and cultures strengthens the sport everywhere.  Someone like Dave Schultz would be appalled by the idea that we wouldn't be encouraging people to come to America for as long as they wanted to, imho, or that our athletes wouldn't take any route available to travel and compete all over the World whenever possible...

3 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

The thoughtfulness of the opinions in this thread is refreshing after listening to Pyle's inane xenophobic rants on the topic for too long.  I think, and would hope, that our athletes never bank on defeating their opponents by denying them resources that our athletes get only by virtue of being born here.  This isn't zero-sum, and elite guys training and living in different environments and cultures strengthens the sport everywhere.  Someone like Dave Schultz would be appalled by the idea that we wouldn't be encouraging people to come to America for as long as they wanted to, imho, or that our athletes wouldn't take any route available to travel and compete all over the World whenever possible...

As always, you and Katie are spot on. You are correct. Dave would not appreciate the xenophobia. 

Wow, that is a pretty cool.  Idk how much flights to/from would be, but very impressive that his parents were willing to invest in that.  Would have been an interesting cultural experience on top of the wrestling.
If you don't mind me asking, who was this wrestler?

I’d rather not say his name on here but his parents were insanely rich, he wrestled for a private school and community, and . He graduated either O3 or 04. Everyone in Georgia should know it now lol

I'm curious about this too because for the last 15 or so years Dagestan and Chechnya and some of the other republics in that area have been in some state of armed conflict with one another or all out war against Russia.  I know for a long period it was considered extremely unsafe to go there for any foreigners and I'm almost positive at one point anyone with a US passport was explicitly not allowed to travel there.  As far as getting there, I don't know about now, but it used to be pretty tough to do because you would need special permission from the Russian government, and if you tried to go on your own you would get stopped at any of the dozen or so checkpoints on the way there and possibly executed.  Things have calmed down over the last couple years, but that whole area was a massive warzone for a while, and lots of people got disappeared, including relief aid workers.  

Like I said the kid was loaded. I’m not an expert on the current state of war with Chechnya, except to say they are always fighting someone. Back then he/his parents were really loaded and got them there though. As far as getting there, there are a lot of foreigners show up to train Dagestan. Any problems with passports would be on our side. Don’t go as a team and don’t go all at once. Should be no problem if a visa is required. All we have to do is get passed Alexander Karelin lol. I was watching a documentary on Dagestan, and a lot of foreigners were in the room. And in that one wrestling room 7 world, Olympic, etc Gold.

2 hours ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

Like I said the kid was loaded. I’m not an expert on the current state of war with Chechnya, except to say they are always fighting someone. Back then he/his parents were really loaded and got them there though. As far as getting there, there are a lot of foreigners show up to train Dagestan. Any problems with passports would be on our side. Don’t go as a team and don’t go all at once. Should be no problem if a visa is required. All we have to do is get passed Alexander Karelin lol. I was watching a documentary on Dagestan, and a lot of foreigners were in the room. And in that one wrestling room 7 world, Olympic, etc Gold.

Being loaded doesn't mean anything if you're forbidden to travel there.  Russia controls that and because of the state of unrest that existed there, they weren't even letting in foreign aid workers.  I doubt they're going to let some American to travel there.  Even today the state department advises against going there.  Foreigners do show up there, but that doesn't mean a lot do or that it isn't completely dangerous to go there.  Getting there is also a problem because there aren't any major airports nearby either.  That's why there's a lot of checkpoints, some manned by the Russians, some by the Chechens.  They also don't appreciate non Muslims very much either.  Going there is a very dangerous gamble, because even if you do manage it, you're at a very high risk of being kidnapped or killed since many Chechens don't really trust outsiders.  

29 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Being loaded doesn't mean anything if you're forbidden to travel there.  Russia controls that and because of the state of unrest that existed there, they weren't even letting in foreign aid workers.  I doubt they're going to let some American to travel there.  Even today the state department advises against going there.  Foreigners do show up there, but that doesn't mean a lot do or that it isn't completely dangerous to go there.  Getting there is also a problem because there aren't any major airports nearby either.  That's why there's a lot of checkpoints, some manned by the Russians, some by the Chechens.  They also don't appreciate non Muslims very much either.  Going there is a very dangerous gamble, because even if you do manage it, you're at a very high risk of being kidnapped or killed since many Chechens don't really trust outsiders.  

If you’ve ever been to Russia, you know being loaded means everything. I had to deal with their customs agency over our uniforms being sent over there for junior world’s. (other combat sport) It was all about the payout. If you’re loaded, you can get that visa. 

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

If you’ve ever been to Russia, you know being loaded means everything. I had to deal with their customs agency over our uniforms being sent over there for junior world’s. (other combat sport) It was all about the payout. If you’re loaded, you can get that visa. 

That just makes you more of a target for kidnapping is what the Chechens are known for doing.  

8 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

That just makes you more of a target for kidnapping is what the Chechens are known for doing.  

The chechens don’t need to know you’re loaded, just the govt. My point being the visa can be bought, and their govt doesn’t give a **** if you’re kidnapped or killed, all they care about us getting that payoff.