CoachWrestling

Dake/Dieringer predictions

1 hour ago, ionel said:

:)

I is offended by this for some reason... I'm not going to stand by and have you bad mouth :-)))))

Good luck to both guys tomorrow. Hopefully, the winner is World Champ!!!!

Edited by leshismore

4 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

All facts.  

Shame on Koll for advocating for his athletes, which he is paid to do.  He should really reconsider doing his job because it is a detriment to athletes from other random schools like PSU and OSU.  

He also has a long history of this "helping" his athletes and such at the expense of others.  He really needs to sit down with the likes of Cael on the betterment of the sport.  He should take the advice of most coaches and just take the off season off, then complain about those that bust their tail on behalf of the athletes they coach.

Yeah, Cael would never pull something shady for his athletes despite it potentially being bad for team usa.

The psu camp would never pretend their returning world champs going to wrestle, and then wait till after the trials to announce he isnt. Koll should be more like Cael.

Edited by Molsen

3 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Dake would also need to "peak twice" so what is the problem.  Dakes goal isnt to just make the team. Its to win gold. If its enough time for him to get ready for worlds, even though he was injured, then surely someone who has been competing like Dieringer will have enough time to peak also.

That's my point.  Everything is being done to benefit one single person.  The whole system and spirit of competition is being bastardized for one man.  The day of the competition is the day of the competition.

I'm in the odd position of advocating for Yianni and against Dake.  And I love Dake, lol, and I don't think anybody would ever accuse me of being in the bag for Okie State.

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

That's my point.  Everything is being done to benefit one single person.  The whole system and spirit of competition is being bastardized for one man.  The day of the competition is the day of the competition.

I'm in the odd position of advocating for Yianni and against Dake.  And I love Dake, lol, and I don't think anybody would ever accuse me of being in the bag for Okie State.

You can have a problem with the rule, but it is the rule, so If Dake didnt do it, he would be dumb, knowing hed be healthy enough by worlds. But again, if there is enough time for Dake to peak for worlds, then there should be enough for Dieringer. Neither is settling for making the team, both have the goal for gold.

1 minute ago, Molsen said:

You can have a problem with the rule, but it is the rule, so If Dake didnt do it, he would be dumb, knowing hed be healthy enough by worlds. But again, if there is enough time for Dake to peak for worlds, then there should be enough for Dieringer. Neither is settling for making the team, both have the goal for gold.

I do have a problem with the rule.  I called it unfair, not illegal or against the rules.  To me, it's a bad look all the way around for a guy that, again, I'm a fan of.

It’s not a matter of rooting interest. The analogy is just not correct. It’s not a competition to decide anything but who is on the team. It is literally a wrestle-off. Wrestle-offs are different because they’re designed (at least in theory and intent) to select the best possible team. World championships are about who’s best on a particular day. True. Wrestle-offs need not be that. 

Its totally fine if you don’t like the rules or process for team selection. I’m very torn as to what the right balance is. I thought the gauntlet that non world medalists had to run through before facing a fresh medalist was a total joke. Glad they got rid of that. I may feel that way also about the delay allowed, or at least the extent of the delay allowed. 

But a wrestle off is just not the competition for which they’re held. They’re not even a regular season game, let alone the AFC finals or SB.

Yeah, Cael would never pull something shady for his athletes despite it potentially being bad for team usa.
The psu camp would never pretend their returning world champs going to wrestle, and then wait till after the trials to announce he isnt. Koll should be more like Cael.

Good. You get sarcasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it should. The rules only apply this way to world medalists. It isn’t the “whole system”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

You said yourself your point is that you don’t like the rule. I’ll ask you, if you were an athlete, or a coach with an athlete, and you were in this exact situation with the same opportunity of making sure you were 100% for your world team trial, can you honestly say you wouldn’t take it, and just go with what you got?

4 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It’s not a matter of rooting interest. The analogy is just not correct. It’s not a competition to decide anything but who is on the team. It is literally a wrestle-off. Wrestle-offs are different because they’re designed (at least in theory and intent) to select the best possible team. World championships are about who’s best on a particular day. True. Wrestle-offs need not be that. 

Its totally fine if you don’t like the rules or process for team selection. I’m very torn as to what the right balance is. I thought the gauntlet that non world medalists had to run through before facing a fresh medalist was a total joke. Glad they got rid of that. I may feel that way also about the delay allowed, or at least the extent of the delay allowed. 

But a wrestle off is just not the competition for which they’re held. They’re not even a regular season game, let alone the AFC finals or SB.

I just flat disagree.  It's a competition with a set reward.  The reward is to get to go to the big competition.  You can't get to the Super Bowl without winning your conference championship game, and you can't get to the WOrld Championships while representing the US without winning the WTT/Final X.  It is the lower level you must win to get to the higher level.

ETA:  I also agree the old "gauntlet" system was awful and unfair, and I wrote about it back then, ironically in support of Dake.  Dake was right then and, by all reports of what happened w/ Ringer, wrong here, in my opinion.

Edited by VakAttack

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

You said yourself your point is that you don’t like the rule. I’ll ask you, if you were an athlete, or a coach with an athlete, and you were in this exact situation with the same opportunity of making sure you were 100% for your world team trial, can you honestly say you wouldn’t take it, and just go with what you got?

I have no idea.  I know in much lower stakes situations, I have taken the "moral high road" so to speak, but with a spot in the world championships on the line, I don't know what I would do, but I'd like to believe I would do the right thing. Even if I would have, though, that doesn't change what the right thing to do is, and what is fair  Do you think everybody was 100% when they were at Final X?  No.  But the date is the date.

8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I have no idea.  I know in much lower stakes situations, I have taken the "moral high road" so to speak, but with a spot in the world championships on the line, I don't know what I would do, but I'd like to believe I would do the right thing. Even if I would have, though, that doesn't change what the right thing to do is, and what is fair  Do you think everybody was 100% when they were at Final X?  No.  But the date is the date.

My point being if you would take advantage of the same opportunity, and come on in this spot I think we all know we all would because that is the rule available to us, then you can’t be pissed at Dake. From his point, it is the right thing to do. Keep in mind the situation here isn’t just making the team, but defending his world championship. Every single one of us would do the same. It’s the rule that is your problem.  

11 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I just flat disagree.  It's a competition with a set reward.  The reward is to get to go to the big competition.  You can't get to the Super Bowl without winning your conference championship game, and you can't get to the WOrld Championships while representing the US without winning the WTT/Final X.  It is the lower level you must win to get to the higher level.

It is semantics but you can't disagree with a fact. Final X is a wrestle-off system. If you win, you don't get any special accolades recognized by UWW, the international wrestling governing body. If you win an AFC championship, you are officially an AFC champion and it is a sanctioned competition. If you win the Iowa wrestle-offs and make the line-up, you get to go to NCAAs and try to become a champion. The set reward is you make the team. Ask Thomas Gilman whether that wrestle-off means anything when he lost the spot to Cory Clark. Same situation. The wrestle-off isn't the conference championship game. It's just the wrestle-off.