CoachWrestling

Dake/Dieringer predictions

Why is the delay ridiculous? It does not prejudice Ringer. If he can beat Dake he can do it on Saturday as well as any other day.
Because now Ringer has to peak twice in a very short time. Do you think they're moving the World Championships if Dake isn't healthy enough to compete? Sports are about who is the best on the day of the competition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So what? Ringer had months to prepare to peak. If he can't beat Dake on Saturday, he can't beat Dake.
If you are somehow trying to argue that this delay is not PURELY for Dake's benefit....I don't know what to tell you.

The delay allowed Dake to get healthy. That's a benefit to him and also to Team USA. But it does not hurt Ringer. He has had plenty of time to prepare and will be given a fair chance to beat Dake. I don't know if I can help you, but I am trying.

The delay allowed Dake to get healthy. That's a benefit to him and also to Team USA. But it does not hurt Ringer. He has had plenty of time to prepare and will be given a fair chance to beat Dake. I don't know if I can help you, but I am trying.
And it's a detriment to Ringer. A massive one at that. There's a reason we don't have our wrestle offs right before our major tournaments. Let's just delay the AFC championship game next year if Tom Brady gets hurt.

Koll will sue if Dake loses.

He will claim that the universe was allied against him because Dake was injured.  

He will claim that "God" was biased in favor of Dieringer. 

If justice prevails, the case will be thrown out because "God" doesn't exist and Koll has a chip on his shoulder the size of Mount Everest.

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

And it's a detriment to Ringer. A massive one at that. There's a reason we don't have our wrestle offs right before our major tournaments. Let's just delay the AFC championship game next year if Tom Brady gets hurt.

The point of the trials is to identify the best team.  If the defending world champ is hurt and needs time to recover, the event should be delayed. Here is how this may benefit team USA.

1. Let's say Ringer is good enough to win bronze but not gold.  

2.  Let's say an injured Dake can't beat Ringer and wouldn't medal at world's.  

3.  Let's say a healthy Dake can both beat Ringer and win a world title.

Delaying the wrestle off enables a healthy Dake to make the world team and then win gold for USA, which may be a better result than if Ringer were sent.  Of course, we are going to find out whether Dake is actually healthy or whether a healthy Dake can in fact beat Ringer.  And if he can't, then we will find out how a healthy ringer will do. 

33 minutes ago, spladle said:

Injuries are part of the sport.  If you get hurt, it should be next man (or woman) up. Dake is hurt, take the year, get healthy and let's see what Dieringer can do.

But they are not part of this part of the sport. This part allows delays to heal for injuries. That's the rule. Not unfair.

7 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

The point of the trials is to identify the best team.  If the defending world champ is hurt and needs time to recover, the event should be delayed. Here is how this may benefit team USA.

1. Let's say Ringer is good enough to win bronze but not gold.  

2.  Let's say an injured Dake can't beat Ringer and wouldn't medal at world's.  

3.  Let's say a healthy Dake can both beat Ringer and win a world title.

Delaying the wrestle off enables a healthy Dake to make the world team and then win gold for USA, which may be a better result than if Ringer were sent.  Of course, we are going to find out whether Dake is actually healthy or whether a healthy Dake can in fact beat Ringer.  And if he can't, then we will find out how a healthy ringer will do. 

Would they delay the AFC Championship game if Tom Brady was injured?  What about the Big 10 tournament if Spencer Lee or Vincenzo Joseph were injured?

31 minutes ago, spladle said:

Where in the rules does it allow for delays?  I have no rooting interest in this.  

The selection procedures that have to be drawn up, and approved by the USOPC, prior to the year beginning.

Edit: Actually prior to the previous years World Championship, as those results affect the next year's selection procedure.

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Would they delay the AFC Championship game if Tom Brady was injured?  What about the Big 10 tournament if Spencer Lee or Vincenzo Joseph were injured?

:)

Edited by ionel

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I've made this comment before but that is a poor analogy. Wrestle-offs are not official competitions for which different teams show up to compete. They're just .... wrestle-offs. Would Brands delay a wrestle-off to allow Spencer Lee to compete for the 125 spot before the season started? Would Cael do the same for Cenzo? Emphatically yes. 

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I've made this comment before but that is a poor analogy. Wrestle-offs are not official competitions for which different teams show up to compete. They're just .... wrestle-offs. Would Brands delay a wrestle-off to allow Spencer Lee to compete for the 125 spot before the season started? Would Cael do the same for Cenzo? Emphatically yes. 

These are not wrestle offs, though, they are competitions with a reward.  Wrestleoffs are not that any more.  The spot on teams is not decided by the wrestleoff, the coaches decide it by other factors.

34 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

These are not wrestle offs, though, they are competitions with a reward.  Wrestleoffs are not that any more.  The spot on teams is not decided by the wrestleoff, the coaches decide it by other factors.

You don't think wrestle offs play a huge role in determining who will start at a given weight (at least when there are multiple wrestlers at that weight)?

Coaches obviously make the final decision, and can (and probably sometimes do) overlook the results of a wrestle off, but I imagine they're still hugely important.

In this situation, while I agree that the matches are more than even a formal wrestle off, they're still very different from an AFC Championship game.  The UWW itself postponing the World Championships for Dake to heal would fit your analogy better, and that obviously wouldn't happen.

4 minutes ago, whaletail said:

You don't think wrestle offs play a huge role in determining who will start at a given weight (at least when there are multiple wrestlers at that weight)?

Coaches obviously make the final decision, and can (and probably sometimes do) overlook the results of a wrestle off, but I imagine they're still hugely important.

In this situation, while I agree that the matches are more than even a formal wrestle off, they're still very different from an AFC Championship game.  The UWW itself postponing the World Championships for Dake to heal would fit your analogy better, and that obviously wouldn't happen.

Are they?  You have to win this series to get a shot at the big competition.  I also made the second comparison point already earlier in the thread.

Dieringer has a perfect chance to beat Dake tomorrow.  If he can't do it tomorrow then he can't do it.  Nothing about the date makes beating Dake harder.

But the date makes preparing for worlds harder for Dieringer.  It is later than anybody almost anybody would want to be competing.  USA Wrestling set the optimal WTT date months ago.  This does not make tomorrow a wrong date or a bad decision, just bad for Dieringer.  

14 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Koll will sue if Dake loses.

He will claim that the universe was allied against him because Dake was injured.  

He will claim that "God" was biased in favor of Dieringer. 

If justice prevails, the case will be thrown out because "God" doesn't exist and Koll has a chip on his shoulder the size of Mount Everest.

All facts.  

Shame on Koll for advocating for his athletes, which he is paid to do.  He should really reconsider doing his job because it is a detriment to athletes from other random schools like PSU and OSU.  

He also has a long history of this "helping" his athletes and such at the expense of others.  He really needs to sit down with the likes of Cael on the betterment of the sport.  He should take the advice of most coaches and just take the off season off, then complain about those that bust their tail on behalf of the athletes they coach.

16 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Because now Ringer has to peak twice in a very short time. Do you think they're moving the World Championships if Dake isn't healthy enough to compete? Sports are about who is the best on the day of the competition.

Dake would also need to "peak twice" so what is the problem.  Dakes goal isnt to just make the team. Its to win gold. If its enough time for him to get ready for worlds, even though he was injured, then surely someone who has been competing like Dieringer will have enough time to peak also.