Lurker

Anything from arbitration?

16 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

I haven’t read all the posts but these kinds of arbitrations aren’t new. Lee Roy Smith and Randy Lewis for example. The system has to allow for some kind of mechanism to right egregious wrongs. It prevents corruption but sadly not without the potential for corruption too. 

Yep. Some are worried this will open a can of worms and we are going to see matches go to arbitration all the time. I don't think it will be an issue. The process has been in place for a long time and has been used in the past. If the Yianni/Zain match hadn't been such a cluster#%*$ (only Tbar and his buddy seem to think it wasn't a complete mess), the request for arbitration would have been thrown out immediately. As will any unreasonable requests in the future. Plus, Cael will never go to arbitration, because he is above that. And his lawyers aren't as good as Cornell's.

Penn state fans are just clinging to the only thing they can which is that Zain (wrongfully) got his hand raised at the end of the match after a blatantly illegal challenge was allowed. I am a pretty big hater of the Cornell program, especially koll and dake, but I can easily say that Yianni was hosed in this match and even with the second match being re-wrestled he is the victim, not zain.

Bo and a few other PSU guys are really voicing his opinions on twitter.  While he and everyone in his camp have a reason to be upset, the more I see the complaining, the more I see the whining, the more it makes me feel that they aren't confident in Zain's ability to win.  He is still up 1-0 and only has to win one more match.  He has the advantage.  

Edited by JBluegill133

to a wrestling fan who is not biased towards either PSU or Cornell, there's no way Zain's hand should've been raised in that match after watching it live. I sat there aghast for quite a few seconds wondering how that result was possible.

This is the best thing that could happen here. If Zain wins match 2, it's his, if not let's go to a 3rd match and get Michael Buffer in there for the intros!!

17 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Yep. Some are worried this will open a can of worms and we are going to see matches go to arbitration all the time. I don't think it will be an issue. The process has been in place for a long time and has been used in the past. If the Yianni/Zain match hadn't been such a cluster#%*$ (only Tbar and his buddy seem to think it wasn't a complete mess), the request for arbitration would have been thrown out immediately. As will any unreasonable requests in the future. Plus, Cael will never go to arbitration, because he is above that. And his lawyers aren't as good as Cornell's.

Just now, Mphillips said:

I think they should have went all the way back to the first ten seconds of the match and investigated the 4 / 2 and 2.

No, you dont get it.  That would give Zain the win.

Yianni Diakomihalis @yiannidiako_LGR
FollowFollow @yiannidiako_LGR
More

It’s official! We will be re-wrestling March 2 and hopefully match 3 with the 65kg world team spot on the line. Not sure what the date or location is yet but it’s going down

KOLL FIXES THINGS ONCE AGAIN.

Yianni Diakomihalis Retweeted

Yianni update: Rewrestle match 2

12 minutes ago, Mphillips said:
Yianni Diakomihalis @yiannidiako_LGR
FollowFollow @yiannidiako_LGR
More

It’s official! We will be re-wrestling March 2 and hopefully match 3 with the 65kg world team spot on the line. Not sure what the date or location is yet but it’s going down

KOLL FIXES THINGS ONCE AGAIN.

Yianni Diakomihalis Retweeted

Yianni update: Rewrestle match 2

This and the Ringer match ought to be held at Rutgers!!  Or Flo should provide us all free tix, flights, and hotels (and libations) to Austin

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Well said. I think that the way it should and does work is that coaches should be allowed to vigorously advocate for their athletes through any and all means allowed by the rules. There should be neutral adjudicators who decide which challenges, which appeals and so forth get a hearing and then neutral judges to hear the outcomes. That’s the setup. Then there has to be an overlay of yet other people who work to ensure that the parties are all sticking to the script. Coaches should not be allowed to abuse their rights to challenge and appeal. The judges must be reviewed to insure they are indeed neutral and not being influenced. And so on. The system will end up pretty good but from time to time there will be major issues.

In this case the system at matside, in my view, failed us by allowing an extremely aggressive challenge to be heard and the overturn the initial result of the match. I have no quibble with Penn State attempting their challenge. It’s simply not their job to determine the legitimacy of their own challenges. They had their rationale, no matter how much of a stretch it was. I think the decision to the reverse the outcome was extremely odd. Even so system still worked to some degree. The appeals process allowed Yianni to get a hearing and now he and Zain get to wrestle again. 

Last point: one poster said the result still favored Zain because he went from losing the match (the original outcome) to having to re-wrestle the match. I agree. But this simply means that the arbitration’s conclusion was consistent with “we aren’t sure who won” as opposed to “Yianni won”. I’m not sure I agree with that.