Fletcher

Do compression sleeves provide performance benefit?

Assuming a wrestler is injury-free, is there any performance benefit to wearing knee-pads or compression sleeves? Seems like college guys are about 50-50 on wearing them vs. not. Some only wear one, which suggests maybe an injury in the past?

I always found kneepads annoying, but I wrestled before compression sleeves came around, so am not sure if they provide any type of advantage (extra support or otherwise).

Edited by Fletcher

On 8/9/2019 at 10:36 AM, Fletcher said:

Assuming a wrestler is injury-free, is there any performance benefit to wearing knee-pads or compression sleeves? Seems like college guys are about 50-50 on wearing them vs. not. Some only wear one, which suggests maybe an injury in the past?

I always found kneepads annoying, but I wrestled before compression sleeves came around, so am not sure if they provide any type of advantage (extra support or otherwise).

Dont know about compression sleeves but I liked a knee pad on my right leg. Felt it helped me slide in on non tie distance shots.

My guess is that the benefit from compression sleeves in wrestling is minimal to none.  The benefits they (allegedly) provide in longer duration events like running, cycling, or swimming where a more isolated group of muscles is taxed don't seem to transfer as much to wrestling. 

Only if you wrap them around the neck of the opponent - but you have to do it when the ref isn't watching.

Anything that gives a wrestler a boost in confidence helps. Snake oil, Dan Gable telling him he can do it - whatever it is it helps even if every scientific test in the world can't measure it. We have all seen the kid win when no one thought he would do it.

Edited by WillieBoy