Sign in to follow this  
justafan

Assistant coach turnover

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Wouldn't you think that would 100% be based on the situation, and there is no definitive, general answer?

I would agree unless it was happening let's say 10 times in 5 years.Cant always be the assistants fault sooner or later you gotta look at the man in the mirror

35 minutes ago, justafan said:

I would agree unless it was happening let's say 10 times in 5 years.Cant always be the assistants fault sooner or later you gotta look at the man in the mirror

What Coach are you talking about. 

I would think it depends on the program and who you are hiring on as an assistant. A lot of "top" assistants are going to aspire to be head coaches one day so if you bring in a big name you need to know that going in. I would think a major program would be able to keep guys around longer as many guys would rather be an assistant at Penn State or Iowa than being a head coach at a bottom tier school. If you compared being an assistant at Drexel to being head coach at U of Arkansas Little Rock I imagine the allure to leave would be there. What do the perrenial top 6ish teams look like in turns of turnover to lower tiered programs? I am too lazy to research it myself but I bet it is substantially more stable than a school trying to crack the top 10 or 20.

I value the coach I had in college so much.  I assisted for him.  He told me something I would never forget.  I asked why does he turn over assistant coaches so often?  He said that it was his goal to create great wrestlers, but it was his purpose to create great coaches.  When he felt one of his assistants was good enough to be a great head coach, he turned them loose.  He told me before I even started, this isnt a full time or long term gig.  Once you are good enough, youre on your own.