Sign in to follow this  
PA-Fan

How impressive this season actually is...

I believe he's only wrestled Steiber, and lost, right?

They split 1-1. And Stieber wasn't a returning champ when they wrestled. Same with Jayson Ness when he wrestled him a few times as a freshman - he was not yet a champ.

I think Oliver would beat B. Metcalf in a head to head. But I wouldn't put him on the levels of Smith/Askren (this is assuming JO wins this year). I do think he is overlooked this year with his controversial loss in last year's finals, but I fully expect him to win it this weekend.

The good question asked here was, "how is JO underrated?" Pretty much everyone on here says or thinks he should win outright, I think if there is an under rated wrestler in this mix is the very possible upsetter of JO in JC. He has been at the weight, and is as big or bigger than JO, and in the few times the two have met, JC has always beat JO. I have mentioned in another thread that JC beat some pretty good wrestlers in last years OLY trials, and University World Team Trials, and did have the one loss this year to Saccagucci whom he has since beat twice in close matches, but still, has won twice, he stands to draw Sac in the quarters and should he get his third win over him this year, he sets up well to get past a wrestler he has beaten this year already in Ness and then on to put a very good position style hard to finish on lots of previous success to place confidence in and then ya, I would say that JO is one of, if not the best one time NCAA champion.

The good question asked here was, "how is JO underrated?" Pretty much everyone on here says or thinks he should win outright, I think if there is an under rated wrestler in this mix is the very possible upsetter of JO in JC. He has been at the weight, and is as big or bigger than JO, and in the few times the two have met, JC has always beat JO. I have mentioned in another thread that JC beat some pretty good wrestlers in last years OLY trials, and University World Team Trials, and did have the one loss this year to Saccagucci whom he has since beat twice in close matches, but still, has won twice, he stands to draw Sac in the quarters and should he get his third win over him this year, he sets up well to get past a wrestler he has beaten this year already in Ness and then on to put a very good position style hard to finish on lots of previous success to place confidence in and then ya, I would say that JO is one of, if not the best one time NCAA champion.

Well, when people are saying Oliver is under-rated, I think they mean more so in a historical sense than in a "being a favorite to win this year" sense. His numbers are unreal, he has one of the most exciting styles ever, he is in line for a 2nd title, which should be his 3rd since he was pretty much totally robbed of the 2nd last year (no offense to Stieber, who seems like he will actually have a better career than JO - hard to do - but that was 2 for JO).

No offense to Chamberlain...but I do not think he is on Oliver's level in folkstyle right now - honestly probably not in freestyle either but that is a totally different topic.

Id be mightily surprised if Chamberlain were to beat Oliver. I think that he may not even make the finals, he has no easy road. If he does though, he loses to Oliver in a completely controlled match to get the title he had taken away from him last year - Something like 7-3.

Like someone else mentioned, I think some of the others on that list are benefiting from their international careers - which Oliver hasn't even begun yet.

I know he has wrestled internationally. I meant, obviously, that he hasn't yet put his full focus into freestyle. Thanks for being the literal police!!!

Well, when people are saying Oliver is under-rated, I think they mean more so in a historical sense than in a "being a favorite to win this year" sense. His numbers are unreal, he has one of the most exciting styles ever, he is in line for a 2nd title, which should be his 3rd since he was pretty much totally robbed of the 2nd last year (no offense to Stieber, who seems like he will actually have a better career than JO - hard to do - but that was 2 for JO).

No offense to Chamberlain...but I do not think he is on Oliver's level in folkstyle right now - honestly probably not in freestyle either but that is a totally different topic.

Id be mightily surprised if Chamberlain were to beat Oliver. I think that he may not even make the finals, he has no easy road. If he does though, he loses to Oliver in a completely controlled match to get the title he had taken away from him last year - Something like 7-3.

I don't think Chamberlain should be counted out, Ness either. I say that mostly because of their size advantages. 149 is not perfect for Oliver, although he is very good and still the favorite to win. In a hypothetical world, where all these guys were truly the same size, I think Oliver wins the vast majority of the time.

I could be wrong, but I think Oliver will struggle in the finals if he meets a guy like Ness. How much would Ness weigh by the time of the ncaa finals compared to Oliver?

Like someone else mentioned, I think some of the others on that list are benefiting from their international careers - which Oliver hasn't even begun yet.

I know he has wrestled internationally. I meant, obviously, that he hasn't yet put his full focus into freestyle. Thanks for being the literal police!!!

A few of the other guys who won World medals during college didn't have their full focus into freestyle either.

Well, when people are saying Oliver is under-rated, I think they mean more so in a historical sense than in a "being a favorite to win this year" sense.

He's consensus top 5 P4P right now, so he's appropriately rated. Better than Taylor, Ruth or Dake? No.

Well, when people are saying Oliver is under-rated, I think they mean more so in a historical sense than in a "being a favorite to win this year" sense.

He's consensus top 5 P4P right now, so he's appropriately rated. Better than Taylor, Ruth or Dake? No.

Again, I said in a historical sense. Not currently.

I don't think Chamberlain should be counted out, Ness either. I say that mostly because of their size advantages. 149 is not perfect for Oliver, although he is very good and still the favorite to win. In a hypothetical world, where all these guys were truly the same size, I think Oliver wins the vast majority of the time.

I could be wrong, but I think Oliver will struggle in the finals if he meets a guy like Ness. How much would Ness weigh by the time of the ncaa finals compared to Oliver?

Maybe something like 160-155. Not enough to make the difference you are thinking it would.

Again, I said in a historical sense. Not currently.

I think he's looked upon relatively favorably compared to that list of 2xers though. Is he the best in that list? Absolutely not.