Draws are coming out at 10am EST for day 1. Wrestling starts tomorrow at 3:30am EST. 

USA has an excellent team. Usually we shine at juniors. I expect he same of the team this year. 

57 - Arujao - gold threat. Won solver at cadets. High attack rate, highly skilled in freestyle. 

61 - Gabe Tagg - has competed internationally, but not with much success. Seems to have jumped levels having trained at the OTC for the last year. 

65 - Thomas - unexpected entry. High level defense. Could surprise with medal

70 - Braylon Lee - has multiple excellent comebacks. Could go 0-1 or gold. Would be more confident in Sasso, but Lee best him twice to secure the spot. Excited for this one. Lee May end up being a future star if he keeps progressing 

74 - Carr - cadet bronze, high expectations on him. Could win gold. Expected to medal anything less than bronze is a major disappointment. 

79 - Brooks - team leader. Cadet gold, junior silver (in am incredible back and forth match). Should win Gold. 

86 - Trent Hidlay - beat a solid field to make it. Very good in underhooks. Has a legitimate shot at medaling, but doesn’t have much international experience. 

92 - Davidson - came out of nowhere. Hard to tell. If the US wants to win, we need at least 1 or 2 of the randoms to medals. Hope Davidson is as good as he looked at trials. 

97 - Tanner Sloan - came out of nowhere and beat Jacob Warner in folk. He is raw in freestyle and his best position is top, but man he looked good vs a tough Whitman. I’m pretty high on Sloan in folk. I hope that translates to free. Damian Hahn is an excellent coach, especially for upperweight guys who are dedicated. Sloan I bet has jumped levels again. 

125 - Paris has a very different style than our prior reps, but we have an excellent history of medaling at this weight historically. I expect a medal here. Hard to tell where he will place. The field at heavyweight is difficult to predict. 

I’d say 6 potential finalists, 3 potential gold, 10 potential medals but realistically 7 would be an excellent performance. 

Mid be shocked with less than 3 medals. To win it all we need lots of finalists the way the point system works. 

Cannot wait. Going to be a crazy tournament 

3 hours ago, LemonPie said:

The Russian (round 2) would have beaten Abakarov at Euros had a controversial grounding call gone his way. 

He has a stud first round also. Silver behind Lewis last year. 

Draw didn't do Brooks any favors- first two matches tough . . .Arujao also has a tough opening round too.  Here's my predictions as if anyone cares.

Realistically I see us with 4-5 medals, 1-2 Gold.

Arujao - silver or bronze

Tagg - DNP

Thomas - bronze- looks like a pretty good draw for him and I think he's gotten a lot better in the last year

Braton Lee - DNP- a good motor won't make the medal rounds here. I'd have preferred to see Teemer here (returning medalist), or even Sasso. 

Carr - Gold 

Brooks - Gold or Bronze based on his draw

Hilday - DNP or Bronze (bronze is the best he can do at this weight)

Davidson - DNP

Sloan - DNP

Parris - DNP

1 hour ago, LifeintheRed said:

Draw didn't do Brooks any favors- first two matches tough . . .Arujao also has a tough opening round too.  Here's my predictions as if anyone cares.

Realistically I see us with 4-5 medals, 1-2 Gold.

Arujao - silver or bronze

Tagg - DNP

Thomas - bronze- looks like a pretty good draw for him and I think he's gotten a lot better in the last year

Braton Lee - DNP- a good motor won't make the medal rounds here. I'd have preferred to see Teemer here (returning medalist), or even Sasso. 

Carr - Gold 

Brooks - Gold or Bronze based on his draw

Hilday - DNP or Bronze (bronze is the best he can do at this weight)

Davidson - DNP

Sloan - DNP

Parris - DNP

Fair. I do think Sloan and Parris fave a shot at a medal. 

Brooks could win or dnp. Tough draw

Brooks' first round Abakarov is a former Cadet World Champ who lost to Ringer last year 10-0, also lost to Mehki Lewis for Gold at one weight below Brooks at last year's World Juniors, but he beat Brooks at Dmitriev  Tournament. He's very tough. Slick. 

Should Brooks win over Abakarov he'll probably face the guy from Russia who lost 3-1 to  Abakarov in June at European Juniors. 

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Brooks' first round Abakarov is a former Cadet World Champ who lost to Ringer last year 10-0, also lost to Mehki Lewis for Gold at one weight below Brooks at last year's World Juniors, but he beat Brooks at Dmitriev  Tournament. He's very tough. Slick. 

Should Brooks win over Abakarov he'll probably face the guy from Russia who lost 3-1 to  Abakarov in June at European Juniors. 

Abakarov also beat that Mongolian stud I’m pretty sure. Ganzorig

55 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

What is the schedule? 

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/world-championships-23?tab=schedule

The action begins Monday morning at 10:30 a.m. in Tallinn, which is seven hours ahead of the U.S. Eastern time zone. All of the action is broadcast live in the United States on Trackwrestling.   Aside: the UWW website shows a livestream, but who knows, it might be blocked in the US. 

Edited by dmm53

Only Arujao left in the winners bracket and we haven’t even hit the quarters yet. All but Vito can realistically be eliminated without another match. 

Unless we get a bunch of bronze from today’s guys we can’t win the team title. 

That Vito match was insane. He is on to the semis. Hope that isn’t a real injury. He has the defending junior world champ from Russia in the semis. 

Vito is going to win worlds one day. I hope he goes 61kh after 2020. World class talent

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Really bad start. Wow. 

Didn't think Juniors could possibly start as poorly as Cadets, but it might have been worse.

That said, if Mekhi was able to beat a guy like Abarakov in one of his first few freestyle matches ever, his future may be even brighter than we already thought.

And as annoyed as Tbar may be at Vito's success, he's looking pretty elite as well.  Had he not had to wrestle Delgado 15 minutes prior to wrestling Fix at the Open, I imagine the latter match would have been a lot closer.  Not to mention, I've never seen anyone score on Fix like Vito did, at least not domestically.  Definitely a future Senior level medal threat.

22 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Vito in the semis but is not favored, Sloan alive if the Turk can make the finals.  Lee, Thomas, and Brooks are eliminated.  Tough day for team USA...

The Iranian in that bracket doesn't look all that intimidating, but he gets points from positions you don't think he'll score from.