2 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Mason Parris is a prolific ! heavyweight. He moves like a 65 pounder. Guys like him and Cassar are the new model.

Gable doesn't have near the leg attacks that Parris does. I will say that. How good can this guy be ? 

Very good.  He has focused *solely* on wrestling for exactly one year.  In HS he was a three sport athlete and multiple all-state/champ in all three.  Add to that, he has focused on freestyle for about three months.  I don't believe he ever did Fargo or anything like that (although I am not 100% there).

Beginning of NCAA season I said on here I can see him catching Gable once sometime over the next four years.  I didn't feel it would be in the "big" match, but at some point one match he'll get him.  I kinda got lambasted for that prediction.  I'm feeling even better about it seeing how much he is developing.  He has a big improvement curve.

54 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

They botched prep on this.

Considering that everything you said was proper and they had less than 24hr to make weight and acclimate I full-on believe the coaching staff botched the trip plans here.

Of our contingient our Day 1 folks were expected to perform similarly to Day 2 folks.

More than anything this hurt us a lot on the first day. Most teams get to NCAA's earlier and they are maybe one or two time zones difference.

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Very good.  He has focused *solely* on wrestling for exactly one year.  In HS he was a three sport athlete and multiple all-state/champ in all three.  Add to that, he has focused on freestyle for about three months.  I don't believe he ever did Fargo or anything like that (although I am not 100% there).

Beginning of NCAA season I said on here I can see him catching Gable once sometime over the next four years.  I didn't feel it would be in the "big" match, but at some point one match he'll get him.  I kinda got lambasted for that prediction.  I'm feeling even better about it seeing how much he is developing.  He has a big improvement curve.

Parris has done very little freestyle, he did get 3rd at Fargo last year in basically his first freestyle even since youth.

5 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Parris has done very little freestyle, he did get 3rd at Fargo last year in basically his first freestyle even since youth.

Okay thanks, I had forgotten he did go his senior year.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

They botched prep on this.

Considering that everything you said was proper and they had less than 24hr to make weight and acclimate I full-on believe the coaching staff botched the trip plans here.

Of our contingient our Day 1 folks were expected to perform similarly to Day 2 folks.

I have no inside information here, but I doubt it was the coaches themselves who made the decision to give our guys effectively no time to acclimate. After all our senior level guys have a 2 week acclimation camp, so it’s not like our high level coaches don’t recognize the importance of acclimation. I have a hard time seeing how our junior level coaches (who have a lot of senior level coaching experience) don’t understand something that our senior level coaches obviously understand so well. I’m guessing it was a budgetary issue. Still frustrating, nonetheless.

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Am I wrong that Yianni, Gable and Spencer Lee are all young enough to be juniors. As good as this team is, it could have been a lot (or a little) better.

Gable would’ve at best done the same as Paris. 

Yianni would’ve helped  

Spencer Lee is not eligible. He turns 21 this year. 

If Yianni has been on the team and won gold, worst case would be 25 more for us and Russia stays the same, still giving them a win (by 23...almost a whole gold). If Yianni won and Russia was on our side, they would still win (by 18...almost a silver)

19 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Am I wrong that Yianni, Gable and Spencer Lee are all young enough to be juniors. As good as this team is, it could have been a lot (or a little) better.

I believe only Gable is still junior eligible. Both Yianni and Spencer are going into their true junior year of college, so unless they are young for their grade/class they shouldn’t still be junior eligible. It’s possible they are still eligible but significant majority of people in their grade/class are not. Some exceptions though, including Vito and Yahya. 

Edited by MDogg

Yianni is UWW junior eligible this year. He was young for his grade. 

Lucas Davison is eligible to return next year along with Tagg. I know Vito, Lee, and Parris are out of eligibility and am pretty certain Sloan, Carr, Brooks, Thomas, and Hidlay are out of eligibility.

Edited by BobDole

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

I believe only Gable is still junior eligible. Both Yianni and Spencer are going into their true junior year of college, so unless they are young for their grade/class they shouldn’t still be junior eligible. It’s possible they are still eligible but significant majority of people in their grade/class are not. Some exceptions though, including Vito and Yahya. 

Yianni and Vito are in the same college class or would be except Vito greyshirted. Yianni was born in April 1999, a few months before Parris. I don't know when Vito was born.

Usually, and I say usually, if your parents send you to school at the time they're supposed to without any years held back it will work out as such. Let's use September 1st as the cutoff date for whatever state you are in. If a kid is born after September 1st, then they would not start school till the next year, they would become USAW Cadets in the 8th, UWW Juniors their Junior year and only have 1 year of UWW Juniors while in college. This would be somebody like Spencer Lee who I believe was born in October.

For those kids whose birthday is before September 1st, if they start school when they're supposed to, then they don't become USAW Cadets until their freshman year. That means they are not UWW Jrs until their senior year of high school which gives them two years in college to participate in UWW Jrs. Gable and Yianni would both be examples. Gable can compete in the Jrs. next year.

There are other possibilities obviously. Kids born before the cutoff of September 1st who are held back are one. Another, and possibly one of the fastest growing groups, are kids born after Sept. 1st who are also held back a year. They would be eligible for Fargo as a 7th grader and are a USAW Junior as a freshman. With the high cost of college nowadays I am seeing more and more of those in Nevada and I assume in other places around the country as parents do whatever they can to help there kids in the future. Pico would be one example.

I think it would be interesting to see how much younger wrestlers improve in college as compared to older ones. I dont know if it could ever be done properly but I find it interesting. I think in a lot of cases that parents may be doing their kids a disservice in the long run. 

Edited by ConnorsDad
Correction

Well I would have to say that after Cadets (MFS), securing only one Gold and a Bronze, and after the close of our first day of Juniors, (with only Vito securing a medal), I was pretty worried. But what a morning session with all five wrestlers getting into the Semi's, and ultimately converting into five medals, pretty spectacular in my opinion. Congrats to Carr, and Parris on becoming Champions, as well as everyone else. Hopefully our ladies and Greco guys can find success as well. 

Edited by de4856
Spelling

the competition level at cadet/junior is also kinda whacky. Some classes are straight up beasts everywhere and other times you wonder about the quality of the competition. Parris competition was pretty damn weak. Cadets have had times in the past very weak, this year lotta studs. just my opinion.

4 hours ago, MDogg said:

I have no inside information here, but I doubt it was the coaches themselves who made the decision to give our guys effectively no time to acclimate. After all our senior level guys have a 2 week acclimation camp, so it’s not like our high level coaches don’t recognize the importance of acclimation. I have a hard time seeing how our junior level coaches (who have a lot of senior level coaching experience) don’t understand something that our senior level coaches obviously understand so well. I’m guessing it was a budgetary issue. Still frustrating, nonetheless.

Considering Cadet/Junior World teamers pay their own way (not sure about meals, but definitely airfare), I imagine their late arrival is almost certainly the result of budget constraints.

Perhaps USAW will re-evaluate their travel logistics next year, as 24 hours acclimation is simply not enough when traveling 7 time zones.

16 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Considering Cadet/Junior World teamers pay their own way (not sure about meals, but definitely airfare), I imagine their late arrival is almost certainly the result of budget constraints.

Perhaps USAW will re-evaluate their travel logistics next year, as 24 hours acclimation is simply not enough when traveling 7 time zones.

USA wrestling pays for juniors but not cadets

16 hours ago, whaletail said:

Plus it means they’re in the final stages of their weight cuts while on a 10+ hour flight. Talk about putting stress on your body. 

19 hours ago, NJDan said:

Yianni and Vito are in the same college class or would be except Vito greyshirted. Yianni was born in April 1999, a few months before Parris. I don't know when Vito was born.

That’s why I cited Vito as an exception. Yahya too. Both are already 2 years removed from HS.

24 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Plus it means they’re in the final stages of their weight cuts while on a 10+ hour flight. Talk about putting stress on your body. 

Very valid point that hasn't been brought up.

17 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

the competition level at cadet/junior is also kinda whacky. Some classes are straight up beasts everywhere and other times you wonder about the quality of the competition. Parris competition was pretty damn weak. Cadets have had times in the past very weak, this year lotta studs. just my opinion.

Interesting though that the Iranian Parris dominated, was the same guy that beat Kirkvliet in last years finals at Cadet Worlds, 7-4, which i didnt know until I heard it on FRL today.  So competition was weak, but that last guy had some cred. 

Edited by jeffrideal

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

Jesus, I hadn't even thought about that!