2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Recent 74kg Junior Results:

* Mark Hall - 2x Jr. World Champ

* Mekhi Lewis - Jr. World Champ

* David Carr - Jr. World Champ

Depth is freaking incredible.  

We aren’t too shabby at the senior level either. 

If we could get some of these guys to 70kg that might be helpful. Nothing against our current guys (a couple of them are good) but man with Nolf going to 74, we need some more depth at 70. 

In other news, our women’s team got our butts kicked on day 1. Out of the 5 weights we have 1 going for bronze and the rest eliminated. 

I will say that the field is really good this year. There are 2 senior world champs in the field. One beat a very solid opponent in the semis to eliminate one of ours. 

Still - we should be better than we are showing. It feels like half this team is top 3 on our senior ladder. We keep getting pinned too. These are blowout matches. 

Super happy for Carr! We all knew he was a beast, but he kept losing at trials to our other amazing guys. Glad he got his shot finally (he was on a cadet team and won bronze prior) and took full advantage. 

Also - holy crap that Japanese kid is super good. Japan from 57-74 is one of the best in the world. If they can ever figure out their upperweight issues, they are going to challenge for team titles in seniors. They have a solid up and comer at 79kg too who I believe won junior worlds last year over Brooks. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Super happy for Carr! We all knew he was a beast, but he kept losing at trials to our other amazing guys. Glad he got his shot finally (he was on a cadet team and won bronze prior) and took full advantage. 

Also - holy crap that Japanese kid is super good. Japan from 57-74 is one of the best in the world. If they can ever figure out their upperweight issues, they are going to challenge for team titles in seniors. They have a solid up and comer at 79kg too who I believe won junior worlds last year over Brooks. 

That guy wrestles the epitome of JPN style. I thought he'd lose in the semis last year, but he kept doing things that were unexpected. Then he did the same thing to Brooks to pull that match out late. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

That guy wrestles the epitome of JPN style. I thought he'd lose in the semis last year, but he kept doing things that were unexpected. Then he did the same thing to Brooks to pull that match out late. 

Yup. Honestly I rewatch the Brooks match every few months. It is a super fun, technical, gritty display of wrestling. 

Did Davison get screwed a little at the 2 minute mark? It looked like he had a sure TD in process of happening and the ref stopped the action to put the RUS on the clock. Geez. Tough loss. 

Edited by TBar1977

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Did Davison get screwed a little at the 2 minute mark? It looked like he had a sure TD in process of happening and the ref stopped the action to put the RUS on the clock. Geez. Tough loss. 

Yeah what the hell. I’m not saying it was shady, but that was some terrible reffing

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah what the hell. I’m not saying it was shady, but that was some terrible reffing

More incompetent than shady. He stopped action with 25 seconds left when there was no reason for it as well. 

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

If Abdollahi wins Bronze at 92kg, the US needs to win 5/5 of your finals today to finish above Iran. Or if Zare beats the American in the final at 125kg the US cannot finish above Iran. [credit to wrestfan]

Yeah I went back and had figured the numbers wrong. So I’m going to take foot out of mouth. 

1 hour ago, Ragu said:

We finish 2nd, one point ahead of 3rd place Iran and 48 points behind 1st place Russia. They are still the best in the world and it's not close

This is no way is meant to diminish Russia’s win. They won fair and square. 

If best guy, Brooks, had won or at least medaled, the other three 0s had won one more match, the Hidlay challenger hadn’t happened, etc we could very well have won. 

We had the team to win this, but Russia was able to come through. Honestly the Russian team wasn’t as good as last year’s or the year before.  We could’ve done it. 

They figured it out though

4 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

If best guy, Brooks, had won or at least medaled, the other three 0s had won one more match, the Hidlay challenger hadn’t happened, etc we could very well have won. 

We had the team to win this, but Russia was able to come through. Honestly the Russian team wasn’t as good as last year’s or the year before.  We could’ve done it. 

They botched prep on this.

Considering that everything you said was proper and they had less than 24hr to make weight and acclimate I full-on believe the coaching staff botched the trip plans here.

Of our contingient our Day 1 folks were expected to perform similarly to Day 2 folks.

31 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yep, the zeroes killed us. But as you know, one can always do these sort of post-mortems in sports. I'm sure an Iranian supporter can come up with some examples where they "should" have earned a few more points and so finished second.

Edited by fightingsioux
content