Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Davison is up 4-1. Beating this Indian guy would be very impressive. He was a runner up at Asians (senior level) and 5th at Dogu. He might end up being India’s rep next year (somewhat unlikely but he has a legitimate shot. May be similar to Zahid making the us team?)

anyways - for a kid I know very little about, Davison seems like the real deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

America is 12-0 today with 5 in semis. What a turnaround!

 

realistically we won’t win junior worlds (it is theoretically possible) but still. If we can pull off 5 medals overall we should be very happy. We have 1 so far (Vito) who should win gold. We just need 4 of the remaining 5 guys to win 1 of their next 2 matches and we will have 5 medals 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Paris 10-0 in 45 seconds

I can’t trll if the field is weak or Paris is just that good. We knew he was likely to jump levels having not had much high level training and not focused on wrestling until about a year ago. 

He is smashing these guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OBXWrestler said:

Where are we at team score wise right now? 

I need to tally up other team’s scores. USA has scored a minimum of 50 points today. For every Semi win, it’s an additional 10 points. Every bronze is an additional 5. Every gold is an additional 5 (so Vito can score 5 more. The 5 guys in the semis could score up to 15 more with a gold, 10 more with Silver or 5 more with bronze)

we likely scored a few non medal points yesterday too. I was too depressed to tally it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russia up 90 to 70 going into the semis today. 

Only 1 head to head in next session (Hidlay). This is a must win as it is +10 for USA and caps Russia at only 5 more point at the weight. 

Russia still has 2 finalists (10 potential points), 3 going for bronze (15 potential points), 2 maybe in repachage (30 potential points) and 2 in semis (30 potential points) for a total of 85 points up for grabs. 1 guy is eliminated.

USA has 1 finalist (5 potential points) and 5 in semis (75 potential points), so 80 up for grabs. 4 guys are eliminated. 

If Hidlay wins his semi vs Russia, that means:

USA will be down by 10 (instead of 20) and be able to score an additional 65 points. 

Russia will be up by 10 (instead of 20) and will be able to score an additional 75 points.

If USA sweeps the semis and Russia loses both semis:

USA will be beating Russia 120-90

USA will be able to score an additional 30 points 

Russia will be able to score an additional 65 points

If USA sweeps the semis and Russia only loses the Hidlay match, that means:

USA will be beating Russia 120-100

USA will be able to score an additional 30 points 

Russia will be able to score an additional 65 points

Summary

USA essentially has to sweep the semis to have a chance at winning. The most important match is Hidlay vs Russia. 

We also are heavily relying on Germany to take out Russia in the semis at 92 (would reduce Russia's point potential by 10)

Iran to beat Russia at 125 (would reduce Russia' point potential by 10)

Most importantly, outside of the US winning their matches,, the US needs AZE  to beat UKR at 61 KG (would reduce Russia's point potential by 15)

 

This is just a review of USA vs Russia. Iran is still in the race, but with a a few wins (with the right combination) in the semis, USA will lock up 2nd place at a minimum. 

If the USA does sweep the semis, it will by far be our best performance at junior worlds ever. We've never had 6 finalists. It would also be weird to have nobody even wrestling for bronze, but 6 wrestling for gold. on top of that, the most credentialed American (brooks) would not be one of the medalists.

Realistically, the US is a heavy underdog, but in play. A top 2 finish after yesterday's performance would be a major win in my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a post where it said the US had one day to acclimate to the travel before the tournament began. I know travelling west to east is rough as we see this in the NFL. I wonder if they wouldn't be better off travelling 2 days in advance. Maybe get better results Day 1. Closer to the results they got on Day 2. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Abbot they got in on the 10th (late on the 10th) so that would sound about right. That is strange that they wouldn’t go earlier. I worked out at OTC (another combat sport) and took junior team to worlds in Russia and we went a week earlier. Even some of our in seasons tournaments over seas we’d get there 3-4 days ahead of weigh in. Seems odd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Lol. You have Iowa fans penciling in Lee like he's automatic to be our 57Kg world team rep next year. One Iowa fan went so far as to post a match where Lee beat Fix in 8th freaking grade. Why don't you go over to HR and get all huffy with that guy? 

Cael:  now listen  and listen good:  Iowa isn’t the biggest threat to your job, Cunningham is.  Now get out of the basement and back to the room.  A couple of them actually miss you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I read a post where it said the US had one day to acclimate to the travel before the tournament began. I know travelling west to east is rough as we see this in the NFL. I wonder if they wouldn't be better off travelling 2 days in advance. Maybe get better results Day 1. Closer to the results they got on Day 2. 

That’s so weird. I wonder if that (combined with the draws - seriously what the hell. Our 3 best guys had terrible draws) will end up being why we didn’t win. 

It is what it is for this year, but man such a minor detail. I cannot imagine staying an extra 3 days would add that much cost to the trip. This is not an expensive part of the world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I need to tally up other team’s scores. USA has scored a minimum of 50 points today. For every Semi win, it’s an additional 10 points. Every bronze is an additional 5. Every gold is an additional 5 (so Vito can score 5 more. The 5 guys in the semis could score up to 15 more with a gold, 10 more with Silver or 5 more with bronze)

we likely scored a few non medal points yesterday too. I was too depressed to tally it. 

We won't score any non medal points from day one.  Yahya was the only one to win a match and his 4 CP won't be enough to place in the top 10.

Also for team race, Russia should be 7th at 97 kg so that is another 8 points for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Russia up 90 to 70 going into the semis today. 

Only 1 head to head in next session (Hidlay). This is a must win as it is +10 for USA and caps Russia at only 5 more point at the weight. 

Russia still has 2 finalists (10 potential points), 3 going for bronze (15 potential points), 2 maybe in repachage (30 potential points) and 2 in semis (30 potential points) for a total of 85 points up for grabs. 1 guy is eliminated.

USA has 1 finalist (5 potential points) and 5 in semis (75 potential points), so 80 up for grabs. 4 guys are eliminated. 

If Hidlay wins his semi vs Russia, that means:

USA will be down by 10 (instead of 20) and be able to score an additional 65 points. 

Russia will be up by 10 (instead of 20) and will be able to score an additional 75 points.

If USA sweeps the semis and Russia loses both semis:

USA will be beating Russia 120-90

USA will be able to score an additional 30 points 

Russia will be able to score an additional 65 points

If USA sweeps the semis and Russia only loses the Hidlay match, that means:

USA will be beating Russia 120-100

USA will be able to score an additional 30 points 

Russia will be able to score an additional 65 points

Summary

USA essentially has to sweep the semis to have a chance at winning. The most important match is Hidlay vs Russia. 

We also are heavily relying on Germany to take out Russia in the semis at 92 (would reduce Russia's point potential by 10)

Iran to beat Russia at 125 (would reduce Russia' point potential by 10)

Most importantly, outside of the US winning their matches,, the US needs AZE  to beat UKR at 61 KG (would reduce Russia's point potential by 15)

 

This is just a review of USA vs Russia. Iran is still in the race, but with a a few wins (with the right combination) in the semis, USA will lock up 2nd place at a minimum. 

If the USA does sweep the semis, it will by far be our best performance at junior worlds ever. We've never had 6 finalists. It would also be weird to have nobody even wrestling for bronze, but 6 wrestling for gold. on top of that, the most credentialed American (brooks) would not be one of the medalists.

Realistically, the US is a heavy underdog, but in play. A top 2 finish after yesterday's performance would be a major win in my opinion.

 

Stunning breakdown. TYVM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...