2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I read a post where it said the US had one day to acclimate to the travel before the tournament began. I know travelling west to east is rough as we see this in the NFL. I wonder if they wouldn't be better off travelling 2 days in advance. Maybe get better results Day 1. Closer to the results they got on Day 2. 

That's terrible, who came up with that idea? I went 5 days early for the Berlin marathon last year to acclimate and still wasn't fully adjusted. And that's absolutely nothing compared to the world championships that these athletes may very well only compete in once in their lifetime.

Just now, bnwtwg said:

That's terrible, who came up with that idea? I went 5 days early for the Berlin marathon last year to acclimate and still wasn't fully adjusted. And that's absolutely nothing compared to the world championships that these athletes may very well only compete in once in their lifetime.

Yeah... shoulda flown in a few days earlier... that's just silly not to.

35 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Junior World silver ain't too shabby 

before the tournament, sure. immediately after the gold medal match, boo. when reflecting on your life's accomplishments, again, sure.

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

Vito falls 3-2 in the final. boo

Honestly, he did not do much in the match. Great tournament, but the final match he did little to win it. Abe did not do much either until he got down 2-1 on a step out or penalty (can't recall which) with 30 seconds left, but he then immediately turned the heat up and got a nice TD in like 10 seconds. They were the deciding points. 

what they say is that it takes 1 day for each time zone you cross to fully acclimate.

e.g. eastern US to Europe takes 6 days.

granted these younger guys can more than likely adjust quicker, but still tough to acclimate.

3 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

what they say is that it takes 1 day for each time zone you cross to fully acclimate.

e.g. eastern US to Europe takes 6 days.

granted these younger guys can more than likely adjust quicker, but still tough to acclimate.

FRL said the guys in the Eastern Time Zone in the US travelled WEST to Denver, then East to Finland. Then wrestled inside 24 hours if they wrestled on day 1. That is just insane. 

33 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

FRL said the guys in the Eastern Time Zone in the US travelled WEST to Denver, then East to Finland. Then wrestled inside 24 hours if they wrestled on day 1. That is just insane. 

If that is true and I have no reason to doubt it that almost borders on criminal. Either somebody screwed up when booking the flight and they decided not to change them or whoever does the booking is just an absolute moron or we're going cheap at USA Wrestling. Lunacy! He'll it's surprising the guys on Day 2 did much better although they had a little bit easier drawers but even two days is not enough.

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don't get this baby weight stuff.   Are there less teenagers at 110 lbs.  Of course.  There are also less adults at 125lbs.  Just as much a world champ as anyone else.

I think his two NCAA titles shows that it doesn't really matter what weight he competes at he's one of the best there is!

52 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Hope to see Carr finish this tournament off with a gold after his impressive run so far. 

Crazy that he was challenged more domestically this year (so far) than internationally. 

Carr may be the wrestler of the tournament so far.

Were his domestic challenges in Freestyle or Folkstyle?

21 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

If that is true and I have no reason to doubt it that almost borders on criminal. Either somebody screwed up when booking the flight and they decided not to change them or whoever does the booking is just an absolute moron or we're going cheap at USA Wrestling. Lunacy! He'll it's surprising the guys on Day 2 did much better although they had a little bit easier drawers but even two days is not enough.

It wouldn't fall on the booking individual, they don't select the dates they just book for when they're told.  I don't think making an error and not changing is likely either, United has an Olympic desk that the NGB's use and its pretty easy to make adjustments through there compared to your standard flight bookings.

54 minutes ago, The Genius said:

FS team table after day 2. 

We can still finish 2nd above US but we'll need the US to lose their finals (they have 3, 2 vs RUS and 1 vs Zare) and/or at least one of their Bronze matches (they also have 2 here I think) and Nokhodi or Abdollahi to win Bronze. 

Nokhodi has a Russian in the repechage before he can wrestle for Bronze and Abdollahi has 2 repechage matches before he can wrestle for Bronze. Won't be easy.

Lots of permutations but it's still possible.

On the other hand, Japan has two finals tomorrow so they could overtake us if we don't win any more points.

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 19.15.39.png

Team standings at the end of today, courtesy of The Genius on the Iran thread

Edited by irani

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Honestly, he did not do much in the match. Great tournament, but the final match he did little to win it. Abe did not do much either until he got down 2-1 on a step out or penalty (can't recall which) with 30 seconds left, but he then immediately turned the heat up and got a nice TD in like 10 seconds. They were the deciding points. 

Agreed.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Vito wrestle so cautiously - and in such a huge match, I can understand wrestling not to lose - but when you play with fire...

Dake sometimes wrestles that way in big matches, and it's cost him against Burroughs.  Almost cost him against Dieringer last year, but like Abe, he was able to score as soon as he had to.

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

The question remains, is Vito's silver still more impressive than Lee's jr. gold at a baby weight?

Did you watch Lee's gold medal match?  He came back in impressive fashion, and wrestled a much better final, so no.

And Vito's been one of my favorite wrestlers for a few years now.  Christ, I even picked him to win 125 this past March.

18 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Did you watch Lee's gold medal match?  He came back in impressive fashion, and wrestled a much better final, so no.

And Vito's been one of my favorite wrestlers for a few years now.  Christ, I even picked him to win 125 this past March.

My post was intended to troll the folks that claimed Vito's semifinal performance was greater than Lee's gold because of the weight class. I obviously didn't do a good job. I will work hard to improve.