2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Honestly, he did not do much in the match. Great tournament, but the final match he did little to win it. Abe did not do much either until he got down 2-1 on a step out or penalty (can't recall which) with 30 seconds left, but he then immediately turned the heat up and got a nice TD in like 10 seconds. They were the deciding points. 

I followed USAW on twitter and they said that Abe got the TD before giving up a point for fleeing, but I suppose he was down 1-1 at the time anyway so tomato/tomahto. Hoping UWW or Track eventually posts it for free in the US. Not to restart that discussion.

55 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Hard to believe USA is almost locked into second with all those zeros.

Iran will score at least 12 combined between 61 kg and 86 kg and more likely 14 or 16.  They actually max out at 138, while the USA is only at 125.  USA could win at 125 kg and still get passed if things went right for Iran.  I wouldn't say Iran is favored to reach the bronze match at 74 kg or 92 kg though.  Iran should score points at 74 kg whether they make the bronze match or not.

I think I'd rather be in the USA's position, but by no means are they almost locked into second.

37 minutes ago, FlyinLion said:

Iran will score at least 12 combined between 61 kg and 86 kg and more likely 14 or 16.  They actually max out at 138, while the USA is only at 125.  USA could win at 125 kg and still get passed if things went right for Iran.  I wouldn't say Iran is favored to reach the bronze match at 74 kg or 92 kg though.  Iran should score points at 74 kg whether they make the bronze match or not.

I think I'd rather be in the USA's position, but by no means are they almost locked into second.

You are absolutely right.  US is in a much better position, but Iran has a shot.

In 74, their wrestler is a former Asia Cadet champion, and world cadet bronze medalist, but he is going against a Russian.

125 should be interesting, you have two excellent wrestlers going against each other.  Should be a good match

Edited by irani

50 minutes ago, FlyinLion said:

Precisely why I said almost. I know it can be done but I like where we’re are at. 

4 finalists and 2 going for bronze is solid. Having at least 2 gold would make it sweeter. For you college fans, junior medals, especially golds, heavily correlate to college AAs. I ran the numbers last season and will do so again post worlds, but I belivee something like 92% of junior world medalist AA at least once. I think Nathan Butler is the only one who didn't (not including those that haven't graduated yet, like Elam and Berge)

Surprised Vito lost, but after rewatching the Japanese kid's matches, you can tell he is super crafty. Japan is so good at these lighter weights and their style is awesome (attack, attack, attack, do something crafty, attack). This guy wrestled differently vs Vito, but so did Vito

3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

My post was intended to troll the folks that claimed Vito's semifinal performance was greater than Lee's gold because of the weight class. I obviously didn't do a good job. I will work hard to improve.

Lee's gold medals are at baby weights! They dont count. His ncaa titles? Dont count. Freshmen year everyone in his bracket was hurt. Sophomore year? No suriano, no fix? Tomasello and cruz graduate, and Rivera loses before Lee sees him? Literally none of Lees matches count, and definitely dont indicate success moving forward at real weights!! Honestly guys that got 1 win at juniors in vitos weight are more impressive then Lee.

26 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

4 finalists and 2 going for bronze is solid. Having at least 2 gold would make it sweeter. For you college fans, junior medals, especially golds, heavily correlate to college AAs. I ran the numbers last season and will do so again post worlds, but I belivee something like 92% of junior world medalist AA at least once. I think Nathan Butler is the only one who didn't (not including those that haven't graduated yet, like Elam and Berge)

Surprised Vito lost, but after rewatching the Japanese kid's matches, you can tell he is super crafty. Japan is so good at these lighter weights and their style is awesome (attack, attack, attack, do something crafty, attack). This guy wrestled differently vs Vito, but so did Vito

I'm more surprised Vito vs Abe wasn't a wild shootout. But yes Housebuye, agree, looked like both guys were being very careful in the final, much different than yesterday. 

Anyway, congrats to Vito on a great tournament. A Jr World silver is still awesome. And of course, congrats to Abe (JPN) on winning it. 

13 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

I'm more surprised Vito vs Abe wasn't a wild shootout. But yes Housebuye, agree, looked like both guys were being very careful in the final, much different than yesterday. 

Anyway, congrats to Vito on a great tournament. A Jr World silver is still awesome. And of course, congrats to Abe (JPN) on winning it. 

For some reason I root for Japan against almost anyone but Americans. I’ve never been there or anything, but I really enjoy how they wrestle. Their style shares some similarities with ours, but then they pull off bizarre moves I don’t see coming. This ends up making it seem like they are way craftier than we are. In reality it is probably just my ignorance on the details of their style, but either way I love watching them. 

They are also always respectful on the mat and off the mat, which I appreciate. Their women’s team is also amazing to watch. 

I also like that Spencer Lee is friends with their world champ from 65kg last year. He seems like a cool guy. 

15 hours ago, Lurker said:

Precisely why I said almost. I know it can be done but I like where we’re are at. 

If Abdollahi wins Bronze at 92kg, the US needs to win 5/5 of your finals today to finish above Iran. Or if Zare beats the American in the final at 125kg the US cannot finish above Iran. [credit to wrestfan]

Just now, The Genius said:

If Abdollahi wins Bronze at 92kg, the US needs to win 5/5 of your finals today to finish above Iran. Or if Zare beats the American in the final at 125kg the US cannot finish above Iran. [credit to wrestfan]

Yup. America really dropped the ball with the 4 guys scoring 0 points. Those early round wins matter a lot for the team race. 

We got very unlucky with the draw and Iran is always good, especially at juniors. We cannot expect to beat Iran or Russia even with 6 medals if we don’t score any other points. 

Props to Iran for having more scoring weights

Bow good is Zare? 

33 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yup. America really dropped the ball with the 4 guys scoring 0 points. Those early round wins matter a lot for the team race. 

We got very unlucky with the draw and Iran is always good, especially at juniors. We cannot expect to beat Iran or Russia even with 6 medals if we don’t score any other points. 

Props to Iran for having more scoring weights

How good is Zare? 

Zare is very good, 2018 World Cadet champion and Youth Olympic silver medalist. He loves to get step out points via a left underhook - watch out for that. 

I know nothing about Paris but both guys teched all their opponents so far so should be an interesting match. 

[copied from my reply on the Iran thread]

17 hours ago, ugarte said:

I followed USAW on twitter and they said that Abe got the TD before giving up a point for fleeing, but I suppose he was down 1-1 at the time anyway so tomato/tomahto. Hoping UWW or Track eventually posts it for free in the US. Not to restart that discussion.

Actually, I think this is correct. TD first, then he gave up the point after that. Was going off memory. He was losing on criteria and needed the TD which he got very shortly after falling behind on criteria. 

50 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

For some reason I root for Japan against almost anyone but Americans. I’ve never been there or anything, but I really enjoy how they wrestle. Their style shares some similarities with ours, but then they pull off bizarre moves I don’t see coming. This ends up making it seem like they are way craftier than we are. In reality it is probably just my ignorance on the details of their style, but either way I love watching them. 

They are also always respectful on the mat and off the mat, which I appreciate. Their women’s team is also amazing to watch. 

I also like that Spencer Lee is friends with their world champ from 65kg last year. He seems like a cool guy. 

I totally agree with this. Their guys do things you don't tend to expect and a lot of it ends up working well for them. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Spencer was even in Japan this year. 

Susaki destroying everybody as expected at 50kg.

19 hours ago, Crotalus said:

My post was intended to troll the folks that claimed Vito's semifinal performance was greater than Lee's gold because of the weight class. I obviously didn't do a good job. I will work hard to improve.

My bad for not recognizing the sarcasm.  I think I lost track of the thread for a bit.

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Isn't Yianni also friends with Otoguru (probably since 2016 Cadet Worlds)?

Regardless, I agree about the Japanese lightweights.  That speed and explosiveness is impressive, and I've always appreciated it much more than strength or power.