His philosophy isn't what our youth wrestlers need.Preaching that our offense is so good we can score when we want to.What that does is shut our athletes down and rely on our defense once we get a lead.

4 hours ago, justafan said:

His philosophy isn't what our youth wrestlers need.Preaching that our offense is so good we can score when we want to.What that does is shut our athletes down and rely on our defense once we get a lead.

Maybe you should coach them. What are your credentials?

3 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

Maybe you should coach them. What are your credentials?

Not looking to coach them just giving my opinion obviously yours is  different then mine but the  good thing is we live in America and that's allowed

Edited by justafan

15 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

What are some examples of this?

I’m basing it on 2 things:

1. Recent results (may not be all that compelling as it is difficult to tell when coaches makes an impact - is it immediate?)

2. Guys saying he is an excellent coach for them. Jden for example swears by him. 

With that said, it could be that he is great for certain individuals, but shouldn’t be the head development coach.

I’m also unsure of how much of an impact any development coach can have at the OTC, except on guys who move there. The rest train there very rarely. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I’m also unsure of how much of an impact any development coach can have at the OTC, except on guys who move there. The rest train there very rarely. 

Again I enter Brandon Slay. They may train there rarely, but is much more now than past. That’s on Slay. Also it wasn’t just the hands on with the athletes but his work with the coaches around the country and the programming, etc. I hated to see him go. He is truly a developer, not just of athletes but of technique, programming, strategies, etc. 

slay and jackson are a tandem for the cadets and juniors. They are great coaches.

coaches get way too much credit. Sometimes it's just about the talent. 

Here's an argument - the RTCs/system haven't been responsible as much as we'd like to think for our success at the senior level. We just got better talent.

J'den, Taylor, Dake, Snyder weren't around back then for Zeke Jones to work with. Just like now, our cadets and juniors are ****ting the bed and we want to blame the system, it's the talent. 

Amazing how coaches start to look bad when Fix, Spencer Lee, Gable, etc stop entering cadets/juniors

5 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

slay and jackson are a tandem for the cadets and juniors. They are great coaches.

Here's an argument - the RTCs/system haven't been responsible as much as we'd like to think for our success at the senior level. We just got better talent.

J'den, Taylor, Dake, Snyder weren't around back then for Zeke Jones to work with. Just like now, our cadets and juniors are ****ting the bed and we want to blame the system, it's the talent. 

Amazing how coaches start to look bad when Fix, Spencer Lee, Gable, etc stop entering cadets/juniors

But someone has to develop that talent. You don’t win world medals and championships just on talent, at any level. 

J’Den, Taylor, Dake, Snyder, Fix, Yianni, Lee, Hall, Valencia, Steveson, they were all around with Slay and he had his hands on all of them. 

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

What if, say, Yianni or Vito were never coached by Slay or Jackson (which is likely the case)?

Yianni was with Slay.  I don’t know about Vito

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yianni was with Slay.  I don’t know about Vito

What do you mean "with Slay"? For a week or two? I don't believe he was ever resident at Colorado Springs. He never talks about Slay-- he talks about Mike Gray.

I don’t know the time frame but yeah. And with Mike Grey....that’s what I was getting that with Slay it wasn’t just about the hands on time with the athletes but the work with the coaches too. It’s just my perspective that he developed a lot of the why we have been more succesful in years. And again it’s not just a matter of the hands on time with the athletes. Keep in mind too that he’s been with Grey the last three years in college, and the vast majority of sound bites we have from Yianni are from College. So it only makes sense that’s who we hear him talk about. 

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

I said the same thing in another thread. Everyone wanted to give the RTCs all the credit for our recent international success and yes I’m sure it played a part but did it play a bigger part than flowrestling and YouTube even?  Burroughs, Dakes, Snyders, Taylors and Coxs don’t come around very often. 

1 minute ago, AnklePicker said:

I said the same thing in another thread. Everyone wanted to give the RTCs all the credit for our recent international success and yes I’m sure it played a part but did it play a bigger part than flowrestling and YouTube even?  Burroughs, Dakes, Snyders, Taylors and Coxs don’t come around very often. 

But see that’s just the thing. We’re throwing a whole bunch of names out there that are wrestling right now.....that don’t come around very often. I don’t really think flow and YouTube are the reasons why. Contributing yeah but not at that level. I mean I trained at Foxcatcher early 90’s and there was a rather nice sized video library of athletes from all over the world. So while there’s much more access to these guys for you and I, and some more access for the athletes competing against them, video has been part of the game for a long time.

The RTC program, the Increased value of the development program, these are hands on things that have coincided directly with the uptick in our world stage results. 

46 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Russia did it with coaching. Why would you assume the US hasn’t done the same?

talent matters. Access to Flo and YouTube matters. Coaching makes a much bigger impact however.   

The RTCs and how They now run world team practices (with juniors and cadets training with our best guys) is making the biggest impact I believe