2 hours ago, Lurker said:

But see that’s just the thing. We’re throwing a whole bunch of names out there that are wrestling right now.....that don’t come around very often. I don’t really think flow and YouTube are the reasons why. Contributing yeah but not at that level. I mean I trained at Foxcatcher early 90’s and there was a rather nice sized video library of athletes from all over the world. So while there’s much more access to these guys for you and I, and some more access for the athletes competing against them, video has been part of the game for a long time.

The RTC program, the Increased value of the development program, these are hands on things that have coincided directly with the uptick in our world stage results. 

Flo and YouTube are important for the athletes but much more important for coaches. Now all coaches can teach a gut wrench just like Brandon Slay teaches it or how John Smith runs his lace series. I think you might be underestimating techs importance. 

37 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Flo and YouTube are important for the athletes but much more important for coaches. Now all coaches can teach a gut wrench just like Brandon Slay teaches it or how John Smith runs his lace series. I think you might be underestimating techs importance. 

I agree they are important and contribute. I don’t believe I’m underestimating tech. I just believe the bigger impact is in the individuals. 

Another way to put it, if the tech is a bigger impact than the people creating and developing the techniques, philosophies, programming, etc that we’ve seen over the last decade, and instilling it hands on in the athletes and coaches...if tech is a bigger impact than the people they are filming, then yes I guess i could be underestimating tech.  

Last point, I have to disagree that all coaches can teach things just like slay and smith, et al, because they saw it on YouTube 

Edited by Lurker

Juniors looked great today. I hope they finish strong as we could still only grab one medal (though it would be unlikely for that scenario to play out).

I was looking for examples because some of you acted like Jackson had been working with these guys for years. He was hired in the middle of June in 2017 after running the ISU program into the ground (after an abysmal run as the head coach of our Senior Freestyle team). If you want to say he's done a great job with these last two years, sure, I guess but it's not like he has a lengthy track record of coaching success whether it be individual or team.

7 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Juniors looked great today. I hope they finish strong as we could still only grab one medal (though it would be unlikely for that scenario to play out).

I was looking for examples because some of you acted like Jackson had been working with these guys for years. He was hired in the middle of June in 2017 after running the ISU program into the ground (after an abysmal run as the head coach of our Senior Freestyle team). If you want to say he's done a great job with these last two years, sure, I guess but it's not like he has a lengthy track record of coaching success whether it be individual or team.

He has lot of time with Brooks and Tagg.1 did well and 1 lost.All the other athletes train at college.The real test will be  to see if KJ ruins Jden 

2 minutes ago, justafan said:

He has lot of time with Brooks and Tagg.1 did well and 1 lost.All the other athletes train at college.The real test will be  to see if KJ ruins Jden 

I think it’s fair to say J’den has hit another level since joining up with KJ

1 minute ago, justafan said:

It's my understanding that one of Jones/Slay's big initiatives was to bring those other non-resident cadets/Juniors in for more development camps along with lots of other senior camps as well. Pretty much every major college team visits during the summer as well.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

It's my understanding that one of Jones/Slay's big initiatives was to bring those other non-resident cadets/Juniors in for more development camps along with lots of other senior camps as well. Pretty much every major college team visits during the summer as well.

Yes, that’s what I was referring to a while back when talking about age groups kids aren’t there a lot, but they’re there more now than ever. Senior world camp going on and you’d see the likes of Valencia’s, Pico, Hall, etc  training and dorming with them. 

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I understand that.Juniors and Cadets have a few camps.He has his hands on Brooks and Tagg everyday so those are the guys I look at.My opinion is Brooks hasn't gotten better with KJ but Tagg has.Also we will see if Jden stays offensive or starts shutting it down.To me Brooks offense has suffered under KJ coaching. 

55 minutes ago, justafan said:

I understand that.Juniors and Cadets have a few camps.He has his hands on Brooks and Tagg everyday so those are the guys I look at.My opinion is Brooks hasn't gotten better with KJ but Tagg has.Also we will see if Jden stays offensive or starts shutting it down.To me Brooks offense has suffered under KJ coaching. 

How long have you been watching wrestling? Honestly. J’den’s offense has improved tremendously since moving to the OTC. 

50 minutes ago, nyum said:

How long have you been watching wrestling? Honestly. J’den’s offense has improved tremendously since moving to the OTC. 

I said stays offensive which means I think he's been offensive.I'm a big Jden fan great guy besides being a great athlete.I think he's our rep in 2020 at 86kg .Just not a KJ guy that's all we all have opinions and that's mine.And 40 years I have been watching been to over 20 NCAA tournaments and the last 4 Olympic trials.

16 hours ago, Lurker said:

I don’t know the time frame but yeah. And with Mike Grey....that’s what I was getting that with Slay it wasn’t just about the hands on time with the athletes but the work with the coaches too. It’s just my perspective that he developed a lot of the why we have been more succesful in years. And again it’s not just a matter of the hands on time with the athletes. Keep in mind too that he’s been with Grey the last three years in college, and the vast majority of sound bites we have from Yianni are from College. So it only makes sense that’s who we hear him talk about. 

Actually, Yianni has been coached by Mike Grey since he was in high school.  Possibly middle school too.  

11 minutes ago, LJB said:

just out of curiosity, are we blaming or praising KJ after today?

Team had a great day 2 no doubt.Not sure who gets the credit to me it goes to the coaches who train the guys everyday.Not the coaches who see them for 4-6 weeks a year.We have seen guys from  Cornell,NC St, Northwestern and Michigan win at this level before which is a credit to there staffs 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I learn something everyday. Thank you. 

Yianni dad was a D3 wrestler and coached Yianni in the garage.He was also coached some by Vougar when he went to Vito house to train.Then once he could go to Cornell RTC then Mike Grey coached him 

Just now, justafan said:

Team had a great day 2 no doubt.Not sure who gets the credit to me it goes to the coaches who train the guys everyday.Not the coaches who see them for 4-6 weeks a year.We have seen guys from  Cornell,NC St, Northwestern and Michigan win at this level before which is a credit to there staffs 

Certainly large dose of credit goes to the guys their with every day. But you cannot deny the work of those in the development program as if that’s nothing to do with it. Guys have trained with their own people throughout time. But what has changed that coincides with the increase in our over all results last few years? These programs put forth by USAW that have developed over the last decade. 

1 minute ago, justafan said:

Yianni dad was a D3 wrestler and coached Yianni in the garage.He was also coached some by Vougar when he went to Vito house to train.Then once he could go to Cornell RTC then Mike Grey coached him 

Yeah I knew those I wasn’t aware he had been around Grey that long. 

9 minutes ago, justafan said:

Not sure why keep getting double posts 

Edited by Lurker