41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Certainly large dose of credit goes to the guys their with every day. But you cannot deny the work of those in the development program as if that’s nothing to do with it. Guys have trained with their own people throughout time. But what has changed that coincides with the increase in our over all results last few years? These programs put forth by USAW that have developed over the last decade. 

Getting the young kids to training camps with the older guys is huge for our development as a whole no doubt about that.The system in place is working .I like AAP idea and kids moving to OTC in high school it opens there eyes to a whole new world its great.

19 minutes ago, justafan said:

Getting the young kids to training camps with the older guys is huge for our development as a whole no doubt about that.The system in place is working .I like AAP idea and kids moving to OTC in high school it opens there eyes to a whole new world its great.

Yes (what is "AAP"?)

I spent a little time with KJ about 15 years ago.  I liked him, and I know resident athletes thought very highly of him.  

I also have a very high opinion of Zeke. 

For whatever reason, we struggled a bit under their tenures, but Zadick seems to be a tremendous CEO and is pushing all the right buttons.  Joe Russell must also be part of the equation.

I was a huge Bruce Burnett fan, but the entire program as it stands now seems to be at least a few steps ahead of the Burnett years.

33 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I spent a little time with KJ about 15 years ago.  I liked him, and I know resident athletes thought very highly of him.  

I also have a very high opinion of Zeke. 

For whatever reason, we struggled a bit under their tenures, but Zadick seems to be a tremendous CEO and is pushing all the right buttons.  Joe Russell must also be part of the equation.

I was a huge Bruce Burnett fan, but the entire program as it stands now seems to be at least a few steps ahead of the Burnett years.

I would love to see Bruce in his prime with RTC’s and the elite accelerator program in place. Man oh man. 

I still wonder how the bad travel plans affected the Junior team on day 1.   Listening to the Flo FRL about the east coast kids flying to Colorado Springs, then flying back across the country and to Estonia and wrestling about 24 hours later had to have some linger affect on the 1st day performance

40 minutes ago, buf87 said:

I still wonder how the bad travel plans affected the Junior team on day 1.   Listening to the Flo FRL about the east coast kids flying to Colorado Springs, then flying back across the country and to Estonia and wrestling about 24 hours later had to have some linger affect on the 1st day performance

This is why we need someone in charge. Someone who can make the major decisions for the program.

Dan Gable as USA Wrestling czar would have been a good move a few years back. Maybe still is - don't know if he could do it right given the advancing years.

Little screw-ups like this have an effect on the wrestlers. Planning ahead would prevent it. One solid voice setting out the parameters after consulting with the coaching staff would prevent foolishness like this from happening - at least planning so it would be taken into account. Weather can always have an effect but better planning is needed.

As for Kevin Jackson - an excellent wrestler and a good man. Sure wish he could have put it together at ISU. Hope he does now.

1 hour ago, WillieBoy said:

This is why we need someone in charge. Someone who can make the major decisions for the program.

Dan Gable as USA Wrestling czar would have been a good move a few years back. Maybe still is - don't know if he could do it right given the advancing years.

Little screw-ups like this have an effect on the wrestlers. Planning ahead would prevent it. One solid voice setting out the parameters after consulting with the coaching staff would prevent foolishness like this from happening - at least planning so it would be taken into account. Weather can always have an effect but better planning is needed.

As for Kevin Jackson - an excellent wrestler and a good man. Sure wish he could have put it together at ISU. Hope he does now.

There is someone in charge and makes those decisions. Typically it would be the High Performance Mgr being the buck stops here guy on that.  Not going to say it was in this case because I don’t know for sure, but that’s who it would typically fall to. 

On 8/12/2019 at 11:37 PM, Lurker said:

I agree they are important and contribute. I don’t believe I’m underestimating tech. I just believe the bigger impact is in the individuals. 

Another way to put it, if the tech is a bigger impact than the people creating and developing the techniques, philosophies, programming, etc that we’ve seen over the last decade, and instilling it hands on in the athletes and coaches...if tech is a bigger impact than the people they are filming, then yes I guess i could be underestimating tech.  

Last point, I have to disagree that all coaches can teach things just like slay and smith, et al, because they saw it on YouTube 

Well of course not all coaches can teach things just like slay but you’d be surprised how many competent coaches there are out there. As a HS coach in NJ I’m surrounded by them. We can pick up many of the things not just coach Slay but what Saitiev is teaching thanks to YouTube and flo.

There are some wrestlers who take advantage of RTCs but I’d bet the large majority of wrestlers wrestle for their local clubs. The RTC is just a supplement. Their local clubs are where most of their skills are developed.