Fletcher

Mekhi announces olympic redshirt

curious how Tech insiders feel about this, and also what the line-up for next season looks like w/o him. Chances of getting back into the top 10 take a significant hit, which I kind of hate to see during McFadden's last year. 

7 minutes ago, Sstern said:

More likely a benefit to Marinelli as he tries to get his first.

Yeah, that is more what I was thinking. His 2 worst matchups at the weight are now gone in Lewis and Marsteller. 165 is still going to be full of land mines, but he has proven he can beat pretty much everyone else. 

Congrats to mehki! Robie and frayer wouldn’t have encouraged him to do this if they didn’t think he had a realistic shot at making the team and improve his game

this will hurt VT in March but he’ll benefit from this opportunity and VT’s 2020 team will be stacked !

Edited by Creek chub

Will this influence Dake’s decision to come down?  If he was giving Burroughs some challenge while training together, my guess is that he has a high ceiling with a year of dedicated freestyle.  Could it be changing of the guard?

3 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

Will this influence Dake’s decision to come down?  If he was giving Burroughs some challenge while training together, my guess is that he has a high ceiling with a year of dedicated freestyle.  Could it be changing of the guard?

Yeah, for sure. He wasn't worried about 5x world/Olympic champ Burroughs. But the 4x NCAA champ and reigning FS world champ a weight class up will definitely think twice now that a ~20 year old 1x NCAA champ with limited (albeit impressive) freestyle experience is in the mix. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't, and Dake knows he can take Taylor every time. But if J'Den does go down next year, Dake will be in a predicament and probably just stay at 79kg.

17 minutes ago, jammen said:

Do away with Olympic redshirts.  They are ruining college wrestling which is a hundred times more important that international competition.

I'm interested in your theory on how they are ruining college wrestling?

(I'll just pass on the 100x more important than international competition thing)

1 hour ago, jammen said:

Waters down the field.  I thought that the thread title made that obvious.

Very little, for one year. And in that one year they get a type of experience they otherwise wouldn’t have and more often than not, come out better for it. Making the field better going forward. And it’s better for them.  I mean I know that’s not more important than me, the individual fan’s viewing pleasure but....

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

1 hour ago, jammen said:

Waters down the field.  I thought that the thread title made that obvious.

The slight hit to the talent pool when a small number of guys take an Olympic red shirt is made up for by a slight increase to the talent pool when they return to college competition. It balances out. 

13 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

I thought it was an obvious joke on folkstall wrestling.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Folkstyle can be boring at times, but at least I don't need a PhD in physics to know how to score a match.

7 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Yeah, for sure. He wasn't worried about 5x world/Olympic champ Burroughs. But the 4x NCAA champ and reigning FS world champ a weight class up will definitely think twice now that a ~20 year old 1x NCAA champ with limited (albeit impressive) freestyle experience is in the mix. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't, and Dake knows he can take Taylor every time. But if J'Den does go down next year, Dake will be in a predicament and probably just stay at 79kg.

Lol, I hear ya and agree with you.  But just saying that Lewis has some potential and if some of the 74 guys meet up in early tournaments then if could affect where people go.  That being said, I’m sure Dake is not thinking about anything besides Ringer right now. 

Watering down the field? I have to disagree.  For one it leads to the assumption. Those guys will win it again.  I can list a dozen "next 4x-ers" that never we're. Also there are more guys that go down for the season with injury than Oly redshirt.  This year does seem to have a few more.  Snyder paved the way for college kids setting their sight in the Olympics earlier.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  It is an every 4-year event.  To much can happen in that time which so you have to take you opportunities while you can.  We say the field is watered down because if an injury or the redshirt year being used.  

Now do I think Lewis can make the team.  No way. It is a serious Longshot. It would be a Seabiscuit run. JB is not as down as much as people elude to at times.  Even if he has "lost a step" as some say, he is still top 3 in the world everyday.  I would also bet that anyone not in the US would consider him their biggest threat.  If Dake goes down there is another World Champ hammer.  I think Ringer will go up, but if not he is wolrd class.  Then you have Nolf looking to fill out and go up.  Now throw in I-Mar who has looked outstanding, and has made several jumos in level. Sprinkle.in Hall and maybe Valencia.  74kg is brutal.  All the above mentioned are world medal contenders.  I don't know that Lewis even finished top 4.  Then on top of it all, if he makes the finals he would have to be one if those guys twice.  It is a very long shot.  With that said I still it is a good decision.  Even if he doesn't make the Olympics it sets him up for the world's following that.