Fletcher

Mekhi announces olympic redshirt

I think VT is making a smart moving letting Lewis take the Oly redshirt.  They aren't gonna win the team title.  Additionally a lot if top kids are wanting to compete for the works and Olympics teams.  It will help with recruiting.  Right now a lot of tionguys sign with PSU and Iowa.  However, both teams don't seem to have their guys competing freestyle during the college years. I think they could lose potential recruits because of this eventually. However, they will still be major NCAA championship threats anyway. 

If he's doing it to make the Olympic team than more power to him.

If he's doing it to setup future VT lineups than that's terrible.  

I say make it where you can take a Olympic RS but you only get the year back if you place top 3 in the trials. I think if that was the case we'd suddenly have almost nobody taking pointless RSs.

These kids make a very important decision with potential hugely positive impact on their lives (with very little room for possible negative impact), after consoling with their parents and coaches and loved ones around them....and people come on here crying about it because you won’t get to see them in the NCAA’s this year. 

“Ruining the sport”. “Don’t make the top 3 you don’t get the year back.”  These are truly some of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on this board. In this particular instance, who gives a damn what you want to see. It’s their life and career, not yours. Get over it. 

Edited by Lurker

Why are so many people against this guy giving the olympics a shot? He destroyed the guy (Josef) who beat the guy (Imart) who took a match from Burroughs.  If he improves at the same trajectory that he has been, he very well could make the team.  Many people win a world title less than 2 years after winning a junior world title.  

6 hours ago, boconnell said:

I say make it where you can take a Olympic RS but you only get the year back if you place top 3 in the trials. I think if that was the case we'd suddenly have almost nobody taking pointless RSs.

I can see where you're coming from with that.  However, as you mentioned it would make it to where pretty much nobody did it, which is the opposite of what it is for.  

I see the logic in a concern of setting a team up for the following years, but I'm not sure it really helps to many teams and in some instances could hurt them.  When you break it down, tOSU, PSU, OSU and IA are the only real teams pushing to win the NCAA title.  PSU might be the only team who could allow an OLY RS and still have a good chance to win it.  Even they wouldn't be able to allow it for more than 1 or 2 kids at a time.  There is too tight of a margin between those teams. Any of those other teams are probably costing themselves the national championship.  I think that is why you don't see them doing it.  Other teams are not in the hunt for a championship and only a few for a trophy at all.  When you look at top 10 teams with guys taking Oly redshirts you have 

Cornell: yianni- he is a legit Olympic Member threat.  Capable of winning gold.

Mizzou: Eireman-not a big favorite toale the team.  This is one that may help Mizzou land a trophy (3rd or 4th) down the road, but certainly not a gaurantee.  Things still have to go right.  However, in this instance you also have  Mike Eireman, J'Den Cox mentor. He is Eirmans dad and J'Den is one of his closest friends since kids.  So I can see the draw for Eireman and think he has true ambitions to wrestle after college still. 

VT: Lewis: He is legit.  Probably a world caliber ay the senior level. He is just in a weight that has been deep for years and the hardest weight to break into. One with Mutliple world medalists possibly in it and some of the greatest collegiate wrestlers in history.  Still it won't have any benefit team wise to hold him or not hold him as far as VT getting a trophy.  I don't think they are in the running the next couple years.  Not with the big 4 plus Arizona, Cornell, Michigan, and Mizzou right behind them. 

I know there are other names but really none that are gonna make a difference in team trophy standings.  

Last.  Regardless of the college circuit. There are opportunities outside of making the Olympic team.  It provides these kids with opportunities to travel the world and train around the world at little or not cost for them.  Either funded by USA or their RTC. Some life experiences you have a short window for and few people even get the chance.  You have to take them when they are there because the door may be shut for one reason or another the next time it comes around. 

1 hour ago, scramble said:

Mizzou: Eireman-not a big favorite toale the team.  This is one that may help Mizzou land a trophy (3rd or 4th) down the road, but certainly not a gaurantee.  Things still have to go right.  However, in this instance you also have  Mike Eireman, J'Den Cox mentor. He is Eirmans dad and J'Den is one of his closest friends since kids.  So I can see the draw for Eireman and think he has true ambitions to wrestle after college still.

He is Mike Eierman's (step)son, not his dad. As a Mizzou fan, I selfishly want him to wrestle this year, because I think he has a great shot at winning a title. But, while I think it is unlikely he makes the Olympic team, the grind of a college season going into trials won't make it any easier. Four years is a long time to wait for another opportunity, and given that he is probably ~22/23, he needs to give it a go and focus solely on freestyle.

11 hours ago, boconnell said:

Not all wrestlers get the chance. Your "top 3" would penalize a guy who got injured in the trials.

If they can make it, more power to them.

As for the idea of setting a team up for future years - remember when Penn State basically took a year off to get guys ready for another batch of Title runs? The coaches coach and we watch.

Edited by WillieBoy

11 hours ago, boconnell said:

A little more seriously...

I don't like this idea. It's too punitive to the wrestler to punish him on the backend if he met the criteria for an Olympic redshirt at the outset. If you think the criteria is too loose to begin with, what would you change?

As it is now, this is how a guy can qualify:

1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)
  2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open
  3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).
  4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist

"I say make it where you can take a Olympic RS but you only get the year back if you place top 3 in the trials."

Yikes!  That's pretty damn punishing to a kid who hopes and aspires to represent his/her country.

25 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

"I say make it where you can take a Olympic RS but you only get the year back if you place top 3 in the trials."

Yikes!  That's pretty damn punishing to a kid who hopes and aspires to represent his/her country.

The problem is that the majority of the young men taking Olympic RSs have no real plans to represent their countries in 2020.  They have zero realistic shot but do it for personal/team reasons.  

Aside from Yianni, Lee, and Fix (maybe Arujau) I can't see anyone with a realistic shot to be top 3, let alone make the team.  Maybe I'm missing someone, but why give out years to guys who don't need them and know they don't need them?

11 minutes ago, boconnell said:

The problem is that the majority of the young men taking Olympic RSs have no real plans to represent their countries in 2020. 

Maybe not, but damn... that one, "upset" or that, "blown call" would be devastating.  

On 8/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, Return of Aztec said:

A little more seriously...

I don't like this idea. It's too punitive to the wrestler to punish him on the backend if he met the criteria for an Olympic redshirt at the outset. If you think the criteria is too loose to begin with, what would you change?

As it is now, this is how a guy can qualify:

1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)
  2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open
  3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).
  4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist

I think it is fine how it is, and don't really see an issue for a few reasons.  However, if something were to change in would say removing the past cader world medalists.  That is far back for a senior level and if someone has progressed enough they will have progressed enough to make it on one of the other criteria. 

Maybe the top 3 NCAA.  Make it former finalist, or even remove NCAA completely.  Use top 3 at Juniors or U23 team instead.  If a kid is really wanting to pursue freestyle they should be in those qualifying tournaments anyway. 

Again, either way I don't see it as much of an issue.  It would be hard for a team to "play the game" to load for a year without sacrificing the current year.  The teams that would most benefit are PSU, IA, OSU, and tOSU.  Really nobody else could pull it off and make a long run.  As little as PSU and IA are putting their guys in actual tournaments they don't appear to be trying to do it.  tOSU and OSU might, but the guys that do obviously have legit shots and would make the top 3.  The only other team that could benefit from it is Cornell.  But again, their guys probably have a legit shot.  So i just don't see it as much of an issue.  I completely understand the potential concern because in theory it could cause a major unbalance.  I just don't see a scenario right now where it could happen unless one of the power 4 started doing it..  and I'm not sure they would sacrifice to that degree at this time.