buckeyehomer

Kurt Angle 1995 Worlds

I have only seen one match of Kurt Angles, and that was the 1996 Olympic final which is one of my least favorite matches of all time, which pretty much left me with no idea how he wrestled. Stumbled on this video on youtube and man he could hit some nasty stuff. Very impressive!

Edited by buckeyehomer

5 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Looks slow compared to Snyder

Bigger weight class than Snyder.  Also a prime shape Angle would beat Snyder.  Better overall athlete, not as good technically, but bigger, stronger and faster than Snyder.  Angle was not known for being a great technical wrestler, he won because of his gas tank mostly.  The first 2 matches he had, just look at how exhausted those guys were trying to keep up with him and just gave up at the end.  Not saying Snyder would gas like that, but Angle wrestled at a very high pace the whole time.  Angle probably beats him 60-70% of the time.  I haven't seen Snyder have to wrestle many guys besides Sadulaev who are capable of wrestling like that.  

43 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Bigger weight class than Snyder.  Also a prime shape Angle would beat Snyder.  Better overall athlete, not as good technically, but bigger, stronger and faster than Snyder.  Angle was not known for being a great technical wrestler, he won because of his gas tank mostly.  The first 2 matches he had, just look at how exhausted those guys were trying to keep up with him and just gave up at the end.  Not saying Snyder would gas like that, but Angle wrestled at a very high pace the whole time.  Angle probably beats him 60-70% of the time.  I haven't seen Snyder have to wrestle many guys besides Sadulaev who are capable of wrestling like that.  

The bigger stronger are the points. Same size I don’t think he beats Snyder 7/10. I don’t think it’s 50-50 honestly. Technique conquers all (John Smith, Bousivar Satiev anyone?) But, we’ll never really know. 

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The bigger stronger are the points. Same size I don’t think he beats Snyder 7/10. I don’t think it’s 50-50 honestly. Technique conquers all (John Smith, Bousivar Satiev anyone?) But, we’ll never really know. 

But it wasn't as if Angle didn't have good skills.  He was coached by Dave Schultz after all.  Angle was also pretty tough to score against too.  Anything Snyder got he would have to work for, which is in Angle's favor since he was a big fan of being the best conditioned in the world.  Watch the Olympic finals where Jads would have died if he hadn't taken a couple of lung breaks.  Also right after Jads scores on his ankle lace, Angle comes back and immediately scores to tie the match.  Pretty similar accomplishments to Snyder though.  2x NCAA champ, 3x finalist. Espoir world champion, junior national champion, world champion, Olympic champion.  Not like he was Brandon Slay who won gold his only time out and promprtly retired. If there was better money like there is now, I think Angle would have stuck around longer if he stayed injury free.  

32 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

But it wasn't as if Angle didn't have good skills.  He was coached by Dave Schultz after all.  Angle was also pretty tough to score against too.  Anything Snyder got he would have to work for, which is in Angle's favor since he was a big fan of being the best conditioned in the world.  Watch the Olympic finals where Jads would have died if he hadn't taken a couple of lung breaks.  Also right after Jads scores on his ankle lace, Angle comes back and immediately scores to tie the match.  Pretty similar accomplishments to Snyder though.  2x NCAA champ, 3x finalist. Espoir world champion, junior national champion, world champion, Olympic champion.  Not like he was Brandon Slay who won gold his only time out and promprtly retired. If there was better money like there is now, I think Angle would have stuck around longer if he stayed injury free.  

I absolutely agree with everything you said. But I believe watching them both (and I watched closely at that time. Not trying to pad but spent some time at Foxcatcher with Schultz, and Angle was out there. In fact probably more so as I was much more “in it” in terms of observing that level then, now it’s more video watches) I just believe if they were pound for pound, Snyder wins more than he loses. They both have very similar attributes...strength, conditioning, wearing out opponents. Snyder has the edge in technique. And technique can overcome when all those other things are not equal. When they are....

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I’m a big Kyle Snyder fan but Kurt angle won Olympic gold with a severe crippling neck injury ...winning gold at heavyweight with 2  fractured vertebrae and multiple herniated disks in his neck is almost unbelievable. Peak angle I don’t see anyone beating him more the 50% of the time 

5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’m a big Kyle Snyder fan but Kurt angle won Olympic gold with a severe crippling neck injury ...winning gold at heavyweight with 2  fractured vertebrae and multiple herniated disks in his neck is almost unbelievable. Peak angle I don’t see anyone beating him more the 50% of the time 

I know, and it’s all opinion....like I said we’ll never know. I just feel differently. 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Angle was really good at adjusting to people.  He mentioned that Konstantin Aleksandrov beat him really badly when he wrestled him once, and the next time they wrestled in the Olympic quarters or semis he had learned from that and dominated the match.  Of course you'd have probably underestimated Aleksandrov if you saw him. He also beat I want to say Murtzaliev from Ukraine who either had already teched Sabejew in those same Olympics or did in the repechage rounds.  I wish somebody would put that on Youtbe because Angle won it by scoring in par terre which is something he wasn't really known for.  I think the only match that he had that didn't go to overtime or wasn't a close match was the semis against Aleksandrov where he won 5-1 or something.  That bracket was stacked too.  Sabejew was a world champion in 94, Leri Khebalov was a returning Olympic champion, Murtzaliev ended up becoming a world and Olympic champion, Jadidi ended up being a world champion and multiple time medalist, and the Cuban Morales was pretty good too.  Lots of guys could trip you up in that bracket and Angle managed to come through it.  

Should've been 2 for the leg lace because the elbow touch the mat, but he only got 1 because the ref "missed" the call

2-1 final score instead of 1-1 to go to OT where he anti-heroically held off the turning that corner

636453005791137605-lcjdc5-57wep39yffo6ps

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Kurt was very good. He was quick for a heavyweight and crafty too. 

He won’t go down as one of our best, but arguably that is due to injury. If he had been able to stay the course he may have won more golds. 

it's still a relatively short list of USA wrestlers who have Olympic and World gold, Kurt's one of our best in my book.  

15 hours ago, DFino said:

Should've been 2 for the leg lace because the elbow touch the mat, but he only got 1 because the ref "missed" the call

2-1 final score instead of 1-1 to go to OT where he anti-heroically held off the turning that corner

636453005791137605-lcjdc5-57wep39yffo6ps

The rule then wasn't if the elbow hits, but if it hits while exposed past 90.  This freeze frame does not give your argument any weight.

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The rule then wasn't if the elbow hits, but if it hits while exposed past 90.  This freeze frame does not give your argument any weight.

Had this same discussion over 20 years ago. Consider the source.

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

DFino- DelFino.

I'm somewhat new and even for first good bit after joining I wasn't on here much.  (I moved on to a retirement job before retiring, so I'm bored now!)  But yeah not really familiar with either one. Appreciate the heads up though!

37 minutes ago, Lurker said:

How about this?

Ja7N9jW.gif