buckeyehomer

Kurt Angle 1995 Worlds

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

That looks like a bunch of numbers and letters.  But I'm guessing you're trying to show the elbow down after 90 degrees?

I don't have the rulebook from 1996 in front of me, but if I am not mistaken the hand to hand rule did not include the forearm. It's hard to tell if the elbow was down after 90 degrees, but the forearm looks to be touching.

53 minutes ago, Chet said:

I don't have the rulebook from 1996 in front of me, but if I am not mistaken the hand to hand rule did not include the forearm. It's hard to tell if the elbow was down after 90 degrees, but the forearm looks to be touching.

It was elbow/shoulder.  That is really close as to the elbow. Haven’t watched this for awhile and forgot about how close it was. Was there and the situation at the end and the crowd frenzy is most of what I remember. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

It was elbow/shoulder.  That is really close as to the elbow. Haven’t watched this for awhile and forgot about how close it was. Was there and the situation at the end and the crowd frenzy is most of what I remember. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Angle took Jadidi down in the last 30 seconds but it wasn't called. I always thought that was why he was given the decision, because he came the closest to scoring in OT.  I guess it was disputed because his head was trapped and not to the side, but I think that would have been a TD today.  

8 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Angle took Jadidi down in the last 30 seconds but it wasn't called. I always thought that was why he was given the decision, because he came the closest to scoring in OT.  I guess it was disputed because his head was trapped and not to the side, but I think that would have been a TD today.  

Ahhh yes I remember that now too. I need to watch that match again. 

On 8/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, TripNSweep said:

Bigger weight class than Snyder.  

Is 100kg really all that different from 97kg? I know that this is about the difference between 145lb and 152lb in high school, not nothing, but I've never watched those weights back to back and thought "man, these 152s sure are slow as all get out compared to the 145s..."

28 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

He was given the decision because the officials had more attempts marked down than JADs. I think this only counted in OT but not sure any more.

Plus Jads almost died of exhaustion 

16 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

This is the shot Angle had with about 40 seconds left.  

AngleJadidi.JPG

The level of sheer anti-heroism required to be in this position and keep Angle from turning that corner in front of his home crowd in OT of the Olympic finals is beyond comprehension

It's more impressive than if Angle actually had gotten the takedown

15 minutes ago, DFino said:

The level of sheer anti-heroism required to be in this position and keep Angle from turning that corner in front of his home crowd in OT of the Olympic finals is beyond comprehension

It's more impressive than if Angle actually had gotten the takedown

Don't talk to me.  If I could block you I would. 

I wish there was a time machine so this match could actually happen...because I’d bet everything I had on Snyder. 

I’ve seen a lot of people reference how much bigger Angle was and a few actually refer to him as having won at “heavyweight.” He wrestled 100kg so only 3kg bigger than Snyder. A guy named Bruce Baumgartner was our heavyweight rep in 1996.

Angle was truly great, but if not for a controversial match he won via a 1-1 referee’s decision on US soil we wouldn’t be having this conversation. 

Side note: I still can’t believe there were 2 Olympic weight classes below 57kg back then...and 4 total weight classes for people who weigh 136lbs or less! Seriously how many grown men (who are elite athletes) weigh 105 lbs? It’s uncommon to see a junior or senior in high school wrestling at that weight. 

I wish there was a time machine so this match could actually happen...because I’d bet everything I had on Snyder. 

I’ve seen a lot of people reference how much bigger Angle was and a few actually refer to him as having won at “heavyweight.” He wrestled 100kg so only 3kg bigger than Snyder. A guy named Bruce Baumgartner was our heavyweight rep in 1996.

Angle was truly great, but if not for a controversial match he won via a 1-1 referee’s decision on US soil we wouldn’t be having this conversation. 

Side note: I still can’t believe there were 2 Olympic weight classes below 57kg back then...and 4 total weight classes for people who weigh 136lbs or less! Seriously how many grown men (who are elite athletes) weigh 105 lbs? It’s uncommon to see a junior or senior in high school wrestling at that weight. 

97kg or 100 kg is considered heavyweight with the 125 kg being classified as super heavyweight.

Angle had at least two refs decisions on his way to a gold medal.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

97kg or 100 kg is considered heavyweight with the 125 kg being classified as super heavyweight.

He but he did it with a broken neck so how close would those matches been if he was remotely healthy 

2 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I acknowledge some people do use those terms, but they’re in the small minority. UWW itself calls 125kg “heavyweight” in their official rules and guidelines. If you asked 100 wrestling fans who our heavyweight rep is at this year’s worlds, 99 of them would answer Gwiz. 

I acknowledge some people do use those terms, but they’re in the small minority. UWW itself calls 125kg “heavyweight” in their official rules and guidelines. If you asked 100 wrestling fans who our heavyweight rep is at this year’s worlds, 99 of them would answer Gwiz. 

Who is the super heavyweight then?

12 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Who is the super heavyweight then?

My point is that the vast majority of wrestling fans don’t use that term. UWW doesn’t even use it. They specifically refer to 125kg as heavyweight and refer to 97kg as nothing other than “97kg.”

If you asked 100 wrestling fans “who is our rep at heavyweight this year” how many of them do you honestly think would answer Kyle Snyder? 99 would say Gwiz if you’re part of the survey, 100 if you’re not.

4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

The only ref's decision he had was in the finals against Jadidi.  He had some close matches along the way, but that was the only one that wasn't decided in regulation or OT.  

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

The only ref's decision he had was in the finals against Jadidi.  He had some close matches along the way, but that was the only one that wasn't decided in regulation or OT.  

He won a refs decision in the 95 finals as well.