buckeyehomer

Kurt Angle 1995 Worlds

The only ref's decision he had was in the finals against Jadidi.  He had some close matches along the way, but that was the only one that wasn't decided in regulation or OT.  
My bad. I was thinking of his world title.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 8/14/2019 at 9:11 PM, gimpeltf said:

He was given the decision because the officials had more attempts marked down than JADs. I think this only counted in OT but not sure any more.

I might be wrong but I believe the officials were instructed to mark down attempts in last two minutes of regulation plus OT in the 95/96 rukles.  I could also be easily wrong on this, but I watched the match multiple times and felt Jadidi made more legitimate attempts.  I felt ;like Angle was the beneficiary of a hometown decision, but AMericans (and everyone else) has to deal with that in close matches all the time.

I say this as a huge Angle fan.  I don't know why people are saying he wasn't slow.  His ducks were lightning and, if you look at the 95 highlights, he hits an extremely quick low single.Also had some great defensive technique/scrambling for a big guy in 1995.

32 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I might be wrong but I believe the officials were instructed to mark down attempts in last two minutes of regulation plus OT in the 95/96 rukles.  I could also be easily wrong on this, but I watched the match multiple times and felt Jadidi made more legitimate attempts.  I felt ;like Angle was the beneficiary of a hometown decision, but AMericans (and everyone else) has to deal with that in close matches all the time.

I say this as a huge Angle fan.  I don't know why people are saying he wasn't slow.  His ducks were lightning and, if you look at the 95 highlights, he hits an extremely quick low single.Also had some great defensive technique/scrambling for a big guy in 1995.

As I said I couldn't remember the specific rule. I also realize you're saying what they were told to mark down as opposed to what they were to count. I was working the results side of the event and did see the score sheets.

50 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

As I said I couldn't remember the specific rule. I also realize you're saying what they were told to mark down as opposed to what they were to count. I was working the results side of the event and did see the score sheets.

Hey... it was a long time ago.  I had gone to a Rick Tucci clinic during that time frame and am pretty sure that is what I was told, but I could be wrong.

Edited by AHamilton

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Townsend Saunders lost a 1-1 referee's decision in the same Olympics in the finals, so I don't think it was a hometown thing.  

8 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Townsend Saunders lost a 1-1 referee's decision in the same Olympics in the finals, so I don't think it was a hometown thing.  

True, but was this before or after the Angle match (I can't recall.)  Sometimes, there's a limit on hometown decisions, especially if you are facing a Russian and the Russian delegation pays refs very well.

I don't remember the Saunders match (I probably only watched once), but I do remember Saunders as having a limited offense but being great par terre.  I would also say that in the event of a close decision, I believe that takedown offense is going to translate much much easier to a referee's decision.

And I still think Jadidi wins that decision if the match is contested in Iran.