Fletcher

Who's taking an olympic redshirt this year?

Just want to create a master list of those who have officially announced, those who are eligible and rumored to be considering it, and those who are eligible but likely will not:

125 - rumors that Aruja will; also rumors that Lee will not due to team's outside shot at a team title. Does this mean Lee will not try out for the olympic team or he still will, but will just try to do both?

133 - rumors that Fix and Micic will take OlyRS; no official announcements, correct?

141 - Yanni and Eirmann officially announced.

149 - nobody?

165 - Lewis officially announced.

174 - rumors that Hall will not, due to team's shot at a team title. What's the deal with Valencia?

184 - rumors going both ways on Dean.

197 - nobody?

Hwt - Steveson obviously a contender for the Olympic spot; would he take a RS (and miss NCAAs in front of a home crowd) or try to do both NCAAs and Olympic tryouts in the same year?

Obviously, missing a bunch of other possibilities here and welcome additional input.

16 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

125 - rumors that Aruja will; also rumors that Lee will not due to team's outside shot at a team title. Does this mean Lee will not try out for the olympic team or he still will, but will just try to do both?

This was discussed in another thread, but he stated during an interview with Askren that he will definitely be making a run at the Olympic team and that he will trust his coaches opinion on an Olympic RS (though he said he is not a fan of the idea).

From a team aspect, it would not make sense for him to RS, but from a personal aspect, it probably would. The decision will have to be made soon on all of these guys.

14 minutes ago, funnyfletcher said:

I've also heard rumors about Amine possibly? Kolodzik is redshirting as well, not sure if it's an olympic redshirt or not. 

Ivys don't allow RS, so must be an olympic RS. Also, find your own screen-name.

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Ivys don't allow RS, so must be an olympic RS. Also, find your own screen-name.

Pretty sure he's taking a greyshirt, deferring enrollment 

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

Is Manville taking one? he might have as realistic a shot of anyone being discussed at making the USA team.

I'd say Koontz from tOSU has a shot, and should OLYShirt as well (if eligible).  

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Just want to create a master list of those who have officially announced, those who are eligible and rumored to be considering it, and those who are eligible but likely will not:

133 - rumors that Fix and Micic will take OlyRS; no official announcements, correct?

141 - Yanni and Eirmann officially announced.

149 - nobody?

165 - Lewis officially announced.

174 - rumors that Hall will not, due to team's shot at a team title. What's the deal with Valencia?

184 - rumors going both ways on Dean.

197 - nobody?

Hwt - Steveson obviously a contender for the Olympic spot; would he take a RS (and miss NCAAs in front of a home crowd) or try to do both NCAAs and Olympic tryouts in the same year?

Obviously, missing a bunch of other possibilities here and welcome additional input.

Hall isn't beating JB or Dake(if he goes down) if Hall takes that ORS....but also because A. Valencia is back from surgery and I'm guessing will probably have the spot at 174.  Josh Shields already AAd last year at 165, meaning....Zahid will most likely go up to 184.  Much easier path for Hall to get #2 at 174 without Zahid there.

56 minutes ago, Creek chub said:

I just listened to a local interview with mehki discussing his oly shirt. At the end, coach frayer was interviewed. I believe he said nobody who took an oly shirt ever made the team. Anybody know if that’s true?

Did Brandon Paulson? Although even if so Frayer was likely talking FS.

Barry Davis took a year off and made the Olympic team in '84 (came back in '85 to win his 3rd NCAA title). But I don't know if that was technically an Olympic RS or if he just took a regular RS year as he still had that option. 

2 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

I know the season will be exciting as usual but selfishly I can't help but to continue to feel underwhelmed about November knowing I won't be watching all these guys compete in folkstyle during the next season.   

The good news is you’ll be able to watch them during that beautiful discipline of the FS season!

On 8/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, gimpeltf said:

Kolodzik already grey-shirted. He enrolled so that ship passed.

I think you can skip school for a year in the ivies and it functions as a redshirt as long as you aren't enrolled. It's not really a "greyshirt" but functions the same way. Frank Mattiace did this at Penn a few years ago. The big difference is that they cannot be enrolled in school. His greyshirt after high school has no impact on whether he can do it now because his enrollment didn't start until after that so he still has the five years under NCAA rules and can use the loophole thing since he goes to an ivy.

I've heard Glory is going to do the same thing for Princeton this year.

Edited by qc8223

1 minute ago, qc8223 said:

I think you can skip school for a year in the ivies and it functions as a redshirt as long as you aren't enrolled. It's not really a "greyshirt" but functions the same way. Frank Mattiace did this at Penn a few years ago. The big difference is that they cannot be enrolled in school. His greyshirt after high school has no impact on whether he can do it now because his enrollment didn't start until after that so he still has the five years under NCAA rules and can use the loophole thing since he goes to an ivy.

I've heard Glory is going to do the same thing for Princeton this year.

I get all that. I was simply commenting on the use of grey-shirt in this case. Not that grey-shirt is at all of an official term but its use is for deferring enrollment not during enrollment. My friends and I would generally call this situation an Ivy shirt.

53 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I get all that. I was simply commenting on the use of grey-shirt in this case. Not that grey-shirt is at all of an official term but its use is for deferring enrollment not during enrollment. My friends and I would generally call this situation an Ivy shirt.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I've seen others question Kolodzik's ability to sit out this year, so that's what I thought you were talking about. Ivy shirt is a good term for it.

1. It doesn't matter much for Ivy guys, but I don't think Kolodzik is qualified for an Olympic redshirt anyways.

2. Flo posted a list today of guys taking Olympic redshirting so far and included Matt Finesilver and Lenny Merkin. Anybody have a source on either of those guys? Couldn't find either in a quick Twitter search. 

23 hours ago, Yankeefan33 said:

1. It doesn't matter much for Ivy guys, but I don't think Kolodzik is qualified for an Olympic redshirt anyways.

2. Flo posted a list today of guys taking Olympic redshirting so far and included Matt Finesilver and Lenny Merkin. Anybody have a source on either of those guys? Couldn't find either in a quick Twitter search. 

Welcome Yank! 

On 8/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, Yankeefan33 said:

Merkin is qualified by placing 4th at the US Open in greco at 72 kg. Finesilver, of the famous fightin' Finesilver family, is the U23 greco team member at 87 kg, but from what I can tell, that doesn't qualify you for the redshirt, so I'm not sure how he's qualified. However, he does have a regular redshirt available, so maybe he's just using that.