Fletcher

Who's taking an olympic redshirt this year?

On 8/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, qc8223 said:

Merkin is qualified by placing 4th at the US Open in greco at 72 kg. Finesilver, of the famous fightin' Finesilver family, is the U23 greco team member at 87 kg, but from what I can tell, that doesn't qualify you for the redshirt, so I'm not sure how he's qualified. However, he does have a regular redshirt available, so maybe he's just using that.

Should have been more clear- was wondering where they stated they would redshirt. I found Merkin (mentioned in a podcast) but couldn't find Finesilver saying he would redshirt anywhere. Finesilver finished 4th at 79kg in freestyle at the Open

On 8/26/2019 at 7:58 PM, madcat11 said:

Zahid could become one of the best to never win four titles.

I am a huge Zahid and ASU fan (obviously) but not even close. He could go undefeated this year and still wouldn’t have the resume of a Dieringer, Nolf, Nickal, Retherford, Ruth, Taylor, Cox. Those are guys just in the last decade and I’m sure I’m forgetting some too. 

1 hour ago, AZ_wrestling said:

I am a huge Zahid and ASU fan (obviously) but not even close. He could go undefeated this year and still wouldn’t have the resume of a Dieringer, Nolf, Nickal, Retherford, Ruth, Taylor, Cox. Those are guys just in the last decade and I’m sure I’m forgetting some too. 

I don't know man, I think you're selling your guy a little short there. I think he compares pretty favorably to those guys. I mean any of these 'best ever...' things are just for debate purposes anyway, no way to prove who was better in many cases, but I don't think he's way out of his league with that group.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:39 PM, AZ_wrestling said:

I know he got embarrassed his freshman year, but I might put Snyder on that list, too.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Yes.  I think Zahid beats Downey if that matchup were to occur.

I hope Downey medals because USAUSAUSA but also because all the haters(myself included) will have to watch him sit through to the finals while a minimum of 5 better wrestlers duke it out to beat him 2-0 in the best of 3.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I hope Downey medals because USAUSAUSA but also because all the haters(myself included) will have to watch him sit through to the finals while a minimum of 5 better wrestlers duke it out to beat him 2-0 in the best of 3.

If Downey medals it will legitimize the situation, and all of the nay saying will become moot.  That's best case scenario for sure.

7 hours ago, cjc007 said:

So embarrassing the be jobbed (Hall the Stall) in the semis and finish third as a true freshman.

Damn it Zahid.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

He was talking about Snyder. And Zahid wasn’t a true freshman that year. 

Edited by AZ_wrestling

On 8/31/2019 at 3:39 PM, AZ_wrestling said:

If Zahid goes undefeated while winning his 3rd title he would be right in there with the group mentioned.  He lost one match as a freshman in controversial fashion in the semis of NCAAs finishing 3rd. He goes undefeated as a sophomore beating the guy he lost to the previous year to win the title.  As a junior he takes two losses (one to his main rival) but comes through in NCAAs beating that rival for the title.  If he runs the table this year he is a 2X champ iX 3rd with just 3 career losses (2 to Hall who might be a 2X champ 4X finalist)).  You could argue all day about which order that list should go in but Zahid will definitely deserve to be in the conversation.