WillieBoy

If Rob Koll had become the Penn State Coach?

https://onwardstate.com/2019/04/17/penn-state-wrestling-oral-history-day-cael-sanderson-turned-college-wrestling-on-its-head/

In reading again this account of Cael and Penn State I saw Rob Koll mentioned as being on the short list til Cael threw his hat into the mix.

Would Penn State have even two National Titles if he had the job?

Would Cael have even one National Title had he remained at Iowa State?

Koll doesn't win one at PSU.  Cael has made it look easy but it's not.  Nobody came close to doing this at PSU before him and nobody came close to doing this at ISU after him.  Cael is that good.  Koll is a great coach who'd have very good teams near the top end of what PSU did in the 20 years before Cael. 

Cael would have won eventually at ISU but not like he did at PSU.  He already had David Taylor on the way so he would have built the brand, but without the recruiting advantages of PSU he is winning some but not all.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

On line classes for Wharton are offered at State College and PSU business graduates diplomas say Wharton.

You sound like an expert in online ejumecation classes. 

PSU business majors graduate from The Smeal College of Business. 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

Koll doesn't win one at PSU.  Cael has made it look easy but it's not.  Nobody came close to doing this at PSU before him and nobody came close to doing this at ISU after him.  Cael is that good.  Koll is a great coach who'd have very good teams near the top end of what PSU did in the 20 years before Cael. 

Cael would have won eventually at ISU but not like he did at PSU.  He already had David Taylor on the way so he would have built the brand, but without the recruiting advantages of PSU he is winning some but not all.

Man, do I ever disagree with your take on Koll.  I agree that Cael makes it look easy when it isn't.  But, Koll really is an ELITE HC.  With what PSU has to offer, along with his VERY strong CEO/Marketing/Networking acumen, he ABSOLUTELY would have won a couple.  The guy identifies potential as well as ANYONE and develops it just as well.

I am not sure you realize what he has done with the limitations an IVY school has.  I know there is the "grey shirting" angle, but there is NO basic redshirt, nor scholarships for that matter.  Selling an IVY league degree, may offset some of that, but not all.

Simply put, let him loose on PA recruits and he banks.  Give him facetime with the same donors and he generates similar revenue.  In no way would he match what Sanderson has done, but he would be the best coach PSU has had and WOULD produce top notch results!

Not an expert but I do know the landscape.  It's more difficult to get into Penn State than Cornell Ag school so what Cael has done is remarkable.

You do realize PSU started as an Ag school? My HS Calculus teacher used to call it “Cow College”. One of my HS workout partners got a degree in Animal Husbandry at PSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

You do realize PSU started as an Ag school? My HS Calculus teacher used to call it “Cow College”. One of my HS workout partners got a degree in Animal Husbandry at PSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How come no one gets a degree in Animal Wifery? Is this discrimination? Sexism?

I would expect this type of thing at BYU, maybe. But Penn State?

So, do you know why the cloning of Dolly the Sheep was celebrated in Utah? Means every boy in  Heber City can now have the prettiest girlfriend in town...

If that had happened I feel like Koll would have gotten a few titles at PSU, not to this level but I completely agree with everything @MSU158 first paragraph. ISU would have gotten in there too, and Ohio State would have more than one.  Instead of 8 for PSU and one for tOSU, I could see a much more even spread between the three schools in the 9 years.  Throw in a Iowa or OSU that might have grabbed one in there as well.

The real question is if that happened, and Yianni and Zain still went with their coach, and this scenario we are still waiting for a conclusion had still played out.....would some be on here crying and dragging Koll's name through the mud have the same feelings about Koll, and/or have the same stance with the chair throwing situation when talking about what is or isn't a bad look for the sport, level of character, etc?  Me thinks not.  But we'll never know.

Edited by Lurker

For those wondering about the spate of postings - major back injury acting up and forced to inactivity lying down for a bit. Sucks to only be able to walk with a cane for awhile. Getting better, last week I could only crawl. Now I can walk with the cane. Chiropractor along with orthopedic surgeon have me doing better and looks as if avoiding surgery for some time to come - it things keep progressing as they have.

So you get some silly posts and a big of off season discussion.

Bad knees - wrestling. Bad back - drunk driver nailed me some years ago. Every now & then it acts up...

Now, back to your regular programming. I do like what Penn State is doing under the Sanderson coaching cabal. Dan Gable type results with a different approach. Great for the sport.

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Man, do I ever disagree with your take on Koll.  I agree that Cael makes it look easy when it isn't.  But, Koll really is an ELITE HC.  With what PSU has to offer, along with his VERY strong CEO/Marketing/Networking acumen, he ABSOLUTELY would have won a couple.  The guy identifies potential as well as ANYONE and develops it just as well.

I am not sure you realize what he has done with the limitations an IVY school has.  I know there is the "grey shirting" angle, but there is NO basic redshirt, nor scholarships for that matter.  Selling an IVY league degree, may offset some of that, but not all.

Simply put, let him loose on PA recruits and he banks.  Give him facetime with the same donors and he generates similar revenue.  In no way would he match what Sanderson has done, but he would be the best coach PSU has had and WOULD produce top notch results!

Koll is a great coach.  But all of the coaches at PSU for decades couldn't do it.  

And Koll at PSU doesn't remove the rest of the great coaches (including Cael).  So Koll would take over a team that hadn't won since 1953.  That team was 17th the year before Cael arrived, and in Cael's first year they were 9th.  That same year Cornell was 2nd with 90 team points. 

So Cael started well behind Koll and then passed him within a year.  But you think Koll would have shown up and passed up ISU Cael and Brands, Smith, JRob, and about to explode Tom Ryan at tOSU?  And you think he would have done it multiple times?

I think what he has done at Cornell is awesome but it doesn't mean he'd go to a 2nd tier PSU and beat the best college coaches in the country.    

40 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Koll is a great coach.  But all of the coaches at PSU for decades couldn't do it.  

And Koll at PSU doesn't remove the rest of the great coaches (including Cael).  So Koll would take over a team that hadn't won since 1953.  That team was 17th the year before Cael arrived, and in Cael's first year they were 9th.  That same year Cornell was 2nd with 90 team points. 

So Cael started well behind Koll and then passed him within a year.  But you think Koll would have shown up and passed up ISU Cael and Brands, Smith, JRob, and about to explode Tom Ryan at tOSU?  And you think he would have done it multiple times?

I think what he has done at Cornell is awesome but it doesn't mean he'd go to a 2nd tier PSU and beat the best college coaches in the country.    

First off, I don't think ANY of the coaches at PSU, prior to Cael, where at the level of Koll.  Also, PSU was a SLEEPING GIANT for a very long time.  All it took was the right HC.  The same can be said about tOSU, prior to Ryan.  

If Koll was at PSU, he would have woken the Giant as well.   Now, I am not saying he would have "refined" the Giant nearly to the level that Cael has, but he would have made them strong enough that the years 110ish type points would have been enough to win, they would have.

Also, I think he IS a top 5 HC and Cael is the ONLY 1 clearly ahead of him.  With the right resources, he could and would beat anyone with equal or lesser resources, 2 out of 10.  Which would be enough to have won 2 in the past 10!