Jump to content
WillieBoy

If Rob Koll had become the Penn State Coach?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Koll's Cornell team beat Sanderson's Iowa State Cyclone team in a close dual in 2009. 

Well.. it wasn't really even close - Cornell never trailed, and the dual was essentially over after 184 as Cornell was up 22-6.  Simaz defaulted out of the 197 lb bout with the win locked up at that point, and ISU also won the HWT match by decision, making the final score 22-15.  

125: Troy Nickerson (Cornell) dec. No. 5 Tyler Clark, 4-2
133: No. 17 Mike Grey (Cornell) dec. No. 6 Nick Fanthorpe, 7-5 SV1
141: No. 2 Nick Gallick (Iowa State) dec. Corey Manson, 4-2
149: No. 11 Mitch Mueller (Iowa State) dec. DJ Meagher, 11-4
157: No. 4 Jordan Leen (Cornell) major dec. No. 5 Cyler Sanderson, 13-5
165: No. 1 Mack Lewnes (Cornell) dec. No. 5 Jon Reader, 6-5
174: No. 3 Steve Anceravage (Cornell) win by fall Chris Pursel, 2:45
184: No. 17 Justin Kerber (Cornell) dec. No. 20 Jerome Ward, 10-5
197: No. 3 Jake Varner (Iowa State) med. forfeit No. 17 Cam Simaz
HWT: No. 3 David Zabriskie (Iowa State) dec. Taylor Moore, 6-0 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, red blades said:

Cael hasn't just coached at PSU - Koll beat him, I believe at National Duals, while he was coaching at Iowa State. (Which is why Cael refuses to wrestle Cornell since)

Or has Koll been invited and turned it down because he didn't get the job?

Yeah, that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ira Lubert and Dave Joyner would have fired Koll after a few seasons without a national championship. Kinda how they both worked behind the scene to unseat and fire Paterno
Paterno sealed his own fate with enabling the pedophile Sandusky to rape kids throughout Centre County.



Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ResiliteMarine said:

Or has Koll been invited and turned it down because he didn't get the job?

Yeah, that's it.

Koll is on record that he reaches out to PSU every year to try to set up a dual.  I haven't seen any response from Cael on this.

Of course, if we had some kind of national dual meet tournament, there is a good chance this ( and other) matchups would eventually happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone that would give Koll any hypothetical championships if he went to PSU truly don’t understand how this all works but since it’s all hypothetical people like MSU can try to seem smart.

 

Very simple..there are 4 active coaches who have even won one team title. The only one that’s beaten him in last 10 yrs is Ryan. So right off the bat your top 4 are Cael, Brands, Ryan, Smith with Cael being the alpha.

 

If Cael stays at ISU he wins almost all of them just like he has at PSU. The best kids want to wrestle for him..simple. He’d have Nolf, Bo, Zain, DT etc over at ISU (hypothetical so prove me wrong).

 

So how in the world would Koll have won one? How can you be an elite coach and never won a championship?

 

Anyone can play hypothetical gymnastics.

 

Wake up MSU..

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, red blades said:

Well.. it wasn't really even close - Cornell never trailed, and the dual was essentially over after 184 as Cornell was up 22-6.  Simaz defaulted out of the 197 lb bout with the win locked up at that point, and ISU also won the HWT match by decision, making the final score 22-15.  

125: Troy Nickerson (Cornell) dec. No. 5 Tyler Clark, 4-2
133: No. 17 Mike Grey (Cornell) dec. No. 6 Nick Fanthorpe, 7-5 SV1
141: No. 2 Nick Gallick (Iowa State) dec. Corey Manson, 4-2
149: No. 11 Mitch Mueller (Iowa State) dec. DJ Meagher, 11-4
157: No. 4 Jordan Leen (Cornell) major dec. No. 5 Cyler Sanderson, 13-5
165: No. 1 Mack Lewnes (Cornell) dec. No. 5 Jon Reader, 6-5
174: No. 3 Steve Anceravage (Cornell) win by fall Chris Pursel, 2:45
184: No. 17 Justin Kerber (Cornell) dec. No. 20 Jerome Ward, 10-5
197: No. 3 Jake Varner (Iowa State) med. forfeit No. 17 Cam Simaz
HWT: No. 3 David Zabriskie (Iowa State) dec. Taylor Moore, 6-0 

How badly did Iowa State beat Cornell in Ithaca the following year. Could you break that match down for us? Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pish6969 said:

Anyone that would give Koll any hypothetical championships if he went to PSU truly don’t understand how this all works but since it’s all hypothetical people like MSU can try to seem smart.

 

Very simple..there are 4 active coaches who have even won one team title. The only one that’s beaten him in last 10 yrs is Ryan. So right off the bat your top 4 are Cael, Brands, Ryan, Smith with Cael being the alpha.

 

If Cael stays at ISU he wins almost all of them just like he has at PSU. The best kids want to wrestle for him..simple. He’d have Nolf, Bo, Zain, DT etc over at ISU (hypothetical so prove me wrong).

 

So how in the world would Koll have won one? How can you be an elite coach and never won a championship?

 

Anyone can play hypothetical gymnastics.

 

Wake up MSU..

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Jim Zalesky also...so there's five.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pish6969 said:

Anyone that would give Koll any hypothetical championships if he went to PSU truly don’t understand how this all works but since it’s all hypothetical people like MSU can try to seem smart.

 

Very simple..there are 4 active coaches who have even won one team title. The only one that’s beaten him in last 10 yrs is Ryan. So right off the bat your top 4 are Cael, Brands, Ryan, Smith with Cael being the alpha.

 

If Cael stays at ISU he wins almost all of them just like he has at PSU. The best kids want to wrestle for him..simple. He’d have Nolf, Bo, Zain, DT etc over at ISU (hypothetical so prove me wrong).

 

So how in the world would Koll have won one? How can you be an elite coach and never won a championship?

 

Anyone can play hypothetical gymnastics.

 

Wake up MSU..

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

You might be eating those not elite words after this season. They will have as good a lineup as anybody come the  20-21 21-22 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pish6969 said:

Anyone that would give Koll any hypothetical championships if he went to PSU truly don’t understand how this all works but since it’s all hypothetical people like MSU can try to seem smart.

 

Very simple..there are 4 active coaches who have even won one team title. The only one that’s beaten him in last 10 yrs is Ryan. So right off the bat your top 4 are Cael, Brands, Ryan, Smith with Cael being the alpha.

 

If Cael stays at ISU he wins almost all of them just like he has at PSU. The best kids want to wrestle for him..simple. He’d have Nolf, Bo, Zain, DT etc over at ISU (hypothetical so prove me wrong).

 

So how in the world would Koll have won one? How can you be an elite coach and never won a championship?

 

Anyone can play hypothetical gymnastics.

 

Wake up MSU..

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Cornell is 1 of ONLY 3 teams that has finished top 10 EVERY year over the past 10 years.  The other 2 are PSU and Iowa.  What he has done with a program that doesn't offer scholarships is nothing short of MIRACULOUS.  No matter the creative financial aid, how is he supposed to recruit a guy(or more likely his parents) who wants a full or substantial ride or he is going elsewhere?  Cornell simply can't recruit the overall depth so they have to develop better than anyone and pretty much have.  Look at the amount of individual champs Cornell has had over the past 10 years.

Simply put, give him the PSU resources and he WOULD win.  Now, I am not saying anywhere near as much as Cael, but he would.  The reason being, see TOM RYAN.  Tom Ryan didn't have the name recognition like Cael, but he realized the untapped resources tOSU had and has opened all the necessary doors.  Why?  Because he is a brilliant CEO.  The same goes with Koll.  He would do everything to tap all that PSU had to offer. 

You don't think Sanderson realized that and left ISU with no issues?  You don't think he knew that ISU was going to be stuck behind Iowa simply because Iowa was Iowa?  Cael was going to have to strictly recruit out of state and that is RIDICULOUSLY hard to do.  But, get to PSU, land a couple top 10's in state and supplement them with his already dominant national recruiting and he became a juggernaught.

Koll has proven to be a very strong recruiter.  Give him direct access to PA recruits and I think he is one of a very small group of HC's that would have won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Paterno sealed his own fate with enabling the pedophile Sandusky to rape kids throughout Centre County.



Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

BWI says no child was raped... ever. Their version is that it was one huge money grab by fake 'victims' enabled by a lying former assistant coach, a corrupt attorney general, corrupt BOT, corrupt governor, corrupt prosecution team and corrupt former FBI director

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

How badly did Iowa State beat Cornell in Ithaca the following year. Could you break that match down for us? Thx.

That would be your argument to provide; but it would seem to prove that ISU improved after Cael left... Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Pennsy Kraken said:

BWI says no child was raped... ever. Their version is that it was one huge money grab by fake 'victims' enabled by a lying former assistant coach, a corrupt attorney general, corrupt BOT, corrupt governor, corrupt prosecution team and corrupt former FBI director

Sure...Not to mention most members of the U.S. Congress who went to schools other that PSU, 99.999 % of the U.S. population who did not attend PSU, the entire Supreme Court just because they like to take part in massive conspiracies, the Pope who was mad because PSU was ranked above Notre Dame, those well known masters of corruption Santa's elves and finally, God himself, who was jealous of Papa Joe.

Edited by fightingsioux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, red blades said:

That would be your argument to provide; but it would seem to prove that ISU improved after Cael left... Right?

It would suggest that Cael left Iowa State very strong. Strong enough even to beat Koll's Cornell squad, even when Cornell was number 1. . 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, Pennsy Kraken said:

BWI says no child was raped... ever. Their version is that it was one huge money grab by fake 'victims' enabled by a lying former assistant coach, a corrupt attorney general, corrupt BOT, corrupt governor, corrupt prosecution team and corrupt former FBI director

It's impossible for someone to be this delusional that it has to be fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 10:24 PM, red blades said:

Cael hasn't just coached at PSU - Koll beat him, I believe at National Duals, while he was coaching at Iowa State. (Which is why Cael refuses to wrestle Cornell since)

I can't believe Cael would dodge anybody.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I can't believe Cael would dodge anybody.

 

 

Yeah, that's just crazy, right?

I wish on of those hard-hitting journalists at Flo, or maybe Intermat, would ask Cael about this - and give him the opportunity to set the record straight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...