Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

THE Ohio State University - a dumb idea?

Nope, it isn't a joke. Wait for the singlets/shorts-T-Shirt with the THE prominently displayed?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2019/08/14/opinion-ohio-state-dumbest-idea-college-athletics/2009078001/

Ohio State has filed an application to trademark the word “the,” which just happens to be the most commonly used word in the English language. What’s next? Charging campus guests for the air they breathe? Imposing a sunshine tax for games at The Horseshoe? Asking anyone with a buckeye tree in their yard for royalties? 

The trademark application is for the use of “The” when it’s used in conjunction with “Ohio State University,” formalizing what athletes, NFL players in particular, have been trying to make happen for years. They will proudly announce they’re from “THE Ohio State” or “THE Ohio State University,” with an emphasis on the “The.”

As if there is some other Ohio State or Ohio State University that is creating great confusion, and we are all crying out for some way to distinguish them.

Most mind-boggling in all of this is that Ohio State probably spent a lot of time, money and effort looking into this trademark -- and still decided it was a good idea.  

In fact, it's one of the worst ideas Ohio State has had in a while. Make that THE worst idea. 

------------------------------------------------

I did go to their website for the Wrestling team. For a big time school they are too cheap to hire a website designer who can actually put photos of the wrestlers and staff in without cutting off part of the heads? Tom Ryan appears to be the only professionally done portrait and they even cut off the top of his head. Most of them look like Booking Photos at the local Police Station.

Edited by WillieBoy

The idea of doing this just absurd.  Imagine the uproar when people end up getting sued because they bought a t-shirt that has the word “the”™ in it.  The™ whole idea by the™ Ohio State IP department is the™ silliest thing I’ve heard since Apple tried to trademark the™ letter “A”.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The idea of doing this just absurd.  Imagine the uproar when people end up getting sued because they bought a t-shirt that has the word “the”™ in it.  The™ whole idea by the™ Ohio State IP department is the™ silliest thing I’ve heard since Apple tried to trademark the™ letter “A”.

It's not the word "the", it's only when it appears before the words "Ohio State University" on items marked for sale. Yes, it seems silly, but they're doing what all college and pro teams do, trying to protect their trademark. Otherwise, someone could say, "Well, you've trademarked Ohio State University but not The Ohio State University, so I can sell knock-off items with that written on them."

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

It's not the word "the", it's only when it appears before the words "Ohio State University" on items marked for sale. Yes, it seems silly, but they're doing what all college and pro teams do, trying to protect their trademark. Otherwise, someone could say, "Well, you've trademarked Ohio State University but not The Ohio State University, so I can sell knock-off items with that written on them."

Actually, no.  They plan on selling Ohio State gear that has the school colors/logos that only contain the word "The".

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Actually, no.  They plan on selling Ohio State gear that has the school colors/logos that only contain the word "The".

I'm sorry, but that's simply incorrect. I think the writer of the USA Today article could have been a bit more clear. I think what's throwing you off is her gratuitous line about people snapping up merchandise with the word "THE" on it, implying that that's going to be the only word on the merchandise. Again, it only applies when appearing before the words Ohio State University.

This is not news to those connected to the university. Please feel free to contact the Athletics Communication Office.

The Ohio State University Athletics Communications Office
Fawcett Center, 6th Floor
2400 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus, Ohio 43210
(614) 292-6861 / Phone
(614) 292-8547 / Fax
OhioStateBuckeyes.com

Edited by fightingsioux

Ohio State University is trademarked, and The Ohio State University is trademarked. They are applying for a separate trademark for the word The ONLY when appearing before the words Ohio State University.

I'm not an attorney, and I agree, it does seem silly but they know what they're doing and they're just trying to plug any possible holes, even at the risk of being ridiculously redundant. College-licensed apparel tops the sports market to the tune of over four billion dollars!

I've always thought this was actually egotistical.  I'm not sure it's grammatically correct....it is when University is at the beginning of the phrase, such as the University of Michigan, the  University of Alabama, the University of Iowa, etc., but the Oklahoma State University, the Michigan State University, the Ohio State University, etc.  You could go on and on about this subject....there are a lot of great universities out there.