wrestlingnerd

Yianni won the arbitration. Next steps?

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

The summary of the ruling implies that the brick was accepted purely to challenge the  merits of the 2+2 score, and the video review changed the score. Right or wrong, the decision to accept the brick 30 seconds after the score was posted was an officiating error. In effect, the ruling on the mat isn't the video review, it's the ruling on the mat unless you make a timely challenge.

The issue of the chair improperly agreeing with both the refs 2 and the judge's 2 appears not to have been relevant because the officials did not undertake a review of the allegedly improper scoring process on their own; it was the challenge brick that initiated the review. Yianni's brick wasn't accepted because you can't ask for a video review of a video review.

Next steps are a wild goddamn matchup and what probably isn't next is a Cornell - Penn State dual.

So why are they making them rewrestle it? Shouldn’t they go right to match 3?

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

The summary of the ruling implies that the brick was accepted purely to challenge the  merits of the 2+2 score, and the video review changed the score. Right or wrong, the decision to accept the brick 30 seconds after the score was posted was an officiating error. In effect, the ruling on the mat isn't the video review, it's the ruling on the mat unless you make a timely challenge.

The issue of the chair improperly agreeing with both the refs 2 and the judge's 2 appears not to have been relevant because the officials did not undertake a review of the allegedly improper scoring process on their own; it was the challenge brick that initiated the review. Yianni's brick wasn't accepted because you can't ask for a video review of a video review.

Next steps are a wild goddamn matchup and what probably isn't next is a Cornell - Penn State dual.

Where is the summary?

45 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Best 2 out of 4. Last match won wins the spot on criteria.: ) 

Really though, I don't know how I feel about it.  Especially now, this late.  I like both guys, and yes I think they both can make the aemis,, or their only loss being to whoever does.  If I had to pick I would hope for Zain due to the circumstances. Although I really like yianni and think it's his after this year, if not now.  If Zain wins then it removes some of the personal bias of whether the ruling was right or not.  It become a moot point. However, at the same time the circumstances of throwing the brick and the ambiguity of what the rule is gets cleaned up.  Zain winning is really the only win-win in my opinion.

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

i think by rule the arbitrator can't change the day-of-match scoring. can either validate it or call for a do-over.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

That’s a hell of a lot easier said than done. We’re talking about two world class athletes, both with age group world championships just breaking into senior level, who know each other very well. You act like they stood and danced for six minutes. Just stop. 

Nah.  I like what I said.  

In all likelihood this will be held at the OTC. It won’t be a Dake/Derringer type thing. I could see maybe Flo covering it but I’d be surprised if there was even a small paid audience type thing set up. I’m guessing gym 2 with little more than USAW and USOPC people there. 

Just a guess though. 

9 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Freestyle rules need changing. 

I want to get a discussion about this going now. The verdict has been made and the match has been nullified and we wait for match 2 to be rewrestled and perhaps a 3rd match to happen as well. In the meantime, the rules have to be brushed up now right? They did many things wrong. Ref, chair, and judge all making different calls, reviewing stuff too far back, reviewing more than one thing, and just straight up making the incorrect call. The rules clearly need to be more obvious and need a touch up or to make new ones. When does this happen? Does it happen? What's the process here?

3 minutes ago, Ragu said:

I want to get a discussion about this going now. The verdict has been made and the match has been nullified and we wait for match 2 to be rewrestled and perhaps a 3rd match to happen as well. In the meantime, the rules have to be brushed up now right? They did many things wrong. Ref, chair, and judge all making different calls, reviewing stuff too far back, reviewing more than one thing, and just straight up making the incorrect call. The rules clearly need to be more obvious and need a touch up or to make new ones. When does this happen? Does it happen? What's the process here?

I personally don't believe the situation shows a need in changing of the rules.  I think this solely falls on the officials botching this one.  A very tricky, intense, high octane situation.  They've been in them before, they will again, this one they blew.

44 minutes ago, Ragu said:

I believe that is what this whole debate part of this started...vague rulebook.  Some of the sequences that played out were known by officials, one official even made a training video that was published.  He scored the major sequence in question opposite of how he said to score in video.

Too much left for interpretation.  But its alot better than it used to be.