wrestlingnerd

Yianni won the arbitration. Next steps?

On 8/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, Rhackler said:

That was also Navruzov.

This one was actually the right call though.  the Mongolian was absolutely running and avoiding any contact for about five seconds or so.  No if ands or buts that a caution and 1 was justified, if not perfectly warranted.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I suspect Tucci is not involved and I wonder if USA Wrestling is allowing input on who is handling the officiating. I hope not. 

Unless the rule has changed since Lindland/Sieracki, the officials invovled in the appealed match cannot be involved in the re-wrestle.

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Unless the rule has changed since Lindland/Sieracki, the officials invovled in the appealed match cannot be involved in the re-wrestle.

Thx for that info. The other question remains i.e. will USA Wrestling be completely independent in choosing who will officiate. I hope they do not under any circumstances take suggestions from either side. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Thx for that info. The other question remains i.e. will USA Wrestling be completely independent in choosing who will officiate. I hope they do not under any circumstances take suggestions from either side. 

I doubt it.  I could see where they may allow for a scratch (naming an individual NOT to have work), but that would be at the most. There is (at least was) procedure for that at nationals (college) But I don't know that to be actual procedure for USAW.  I would think there would be zero input taken on who they want to work.

51 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This one was actually the right call though.  the Mongolian was absolutely running and avoiding any contact for about five seconds or so.  No if ands or buts that a caution and 1 was justified, if not perfectly warranted.

My understanding is that officials had explicitly told all coaches before wrestling began that a warning would be issued before they went to a caution and 1.  That protocol was not followed in this particular instance.  

5 minutes ago, Rhackler said:

My understanding is that officials had explicitly told all coaches before wrestling began that a warning would be issued before they went to a caution and 1.  That protocol was not followed in this particular instance.  

So with what you said, as I had not heard that, I went back and watched that sequence. I have to say, even if that was the edict, the call is still warranted.  One being that you can see the official warning him, calling his attention.  One could argue that the guidance passed on before wrestling started was not followed because the match was not stopped and attention to the coaches, however this was such an egregious act of running and avoiding contact, the verbal warning during the action is fine.  It was absolutely the right call. Tough spot, at the very end of a medal match, but you have to make that call.  You can't set the precedent of allowing something like that to happen. It was literally for the last nine seconds.

He had a td at 18 seconds. He tied up and took a shot at 12 seconds. He circled in the center.Did he do exactly what you said? Yes. Less than 10 seconds. I never argued that technically he could be called but cmon.. And some of these officials were sent home.

BTW- I happened to just have a conversation with someone involved in the process of setting this up. The coaches have no say in the officials and none of the officials (including reviewers) will do this match as a couple here have stated.

(Yianni and Zain that is)

Edited by gimpeltf