Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Are college wrestlers more religious than other college athletes?

Seems to be the case, right? Part of it may be out of a subconscious reckoning - if I treat my body right and don't drink, smoke or get in trouble,, my wrestling will improve. Christianity encourages all of these behaviors. Of course, there are some who are actually religious too.

Interestingly, wrestling is virtually nonexistent in the most evangelical parts of the country. Go figure...

I agree that it does seem like the number of outwardly religious people in and around wrestling has noticeably increased the past 10 years. Not sure if that’s actually the case or if social media just makes it more apparent. 

If true, then I honestly think it’s just something of a fluke. It just so happens that our most recent crop of ncaa superstars happen to be outwardly very religious and very open/vocal about it. 5-6 years ago the highest profile ncaa stars were guys like DT, Dake, Ruth, JO. A year ago they were guys like Bo, Zane, Nolf, Snyder. I think it’s probably more of a coincidence that the more recent crop happens to be outwardly a lot more religious.

Note: I’m not judging anyone’s level of faith/religion...I’m strictly going off of how much they choose to bring it up in interviews and social media. That’s why I keep using the term outwardly. 

I think doubling down on Christianity is a good way to become successful in a sport like wrestling where there is less hope for large financial incentives. To do it all for God and believe that he cares is a good motivator instead of having to deal with the existential struggle that life is meaningless and the universe is completely indifferent to you. Why put yourself through so much trouble if thats the case?

Specifically which people in wrestling these days are outwardly religious?  Just asking.

When I was wrestling, way back in the late 70s and early 80s, the only high profile wresters who were outwardly religious were the Peterson brothers.  For me personally, the only other guy who was outwardly religious was our high school team's assistant coach, and while we would get into conversations with him a few times during the season, it wasn't like he was preaching something to us all the time.

4 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

Specifically which people in wrestling these days are outwardly religious?  Just asking.

When I was wrestling, way back in the late 70s and early 80s, the only high profile wresters who were outwardly religious were the Peterson brothers.  For me personally, the only other guy who was outwardly religious was our high school team's assistant coach, and while we would get into conversations with him a few times during the season, it wasn't like he was preaching something to us all the time.

Burroughs, Snyder, Gross, Martin to name just a few. Carl Perry heads up the national FCA wrestling. Their camps are well attended and get some pretty big name Christian wrestlers involved as clinicians. Great program. 

The, 'sign of the cross' certainly has become more and more prevalent.  Also the phrase, "All glory to God."  Or perhaps that's just the opportunity to view it more?

Edited by Mphillips
forgot one.

15 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Burroughs, Snyder, Gross, Martin to name just a few. Carl Perry heads up the national FCA wrestling. Their camps are well attended and get some pretty big name Christian wrestlers involved as clinicians. Great program. 

Interesting.  I think I've seen articles where Jordan Burroughs has mentioned his religious beliefs, and recall that Carl Perry had some issues with a church he was attending back when he was at Illinois, although I didn't know about the others.   

I will say that I've always thought that wrestling was a little more conservative in its outlook than other sports, although we've got plenty of people in wrestling on both sides of the spectrum.  

Luke 13:4 clearly teaches the doctrine that you can die because of a senseless accident, with no connection whatsoever to the doctrine of sin.

In light of that, it seems a bit silly to suppose that God would control the outcome of an obscure wrestling match in order to somehow achieve the secondary effect of a slightly improved faith for one or both competitors. 

Does it mean you are more religious than the next guy just because you answer every question with “I will win if the Lord Jesus my savior wants me to win. I’m humbled by his glory and except whatever he has in store for me.”? I think this thread is a good one but I think the real question is more like “are top wrestlers more vocal about the faith.

Feel free to disagree with me but I think there’s a certain lack of humility in using every second of camera time to make sure no one forgets just how damn much you love Christ. To me it ends up seeming like shameless self-promotion (look at me; I’m a world beater wrestler but humble before Christ) in their absolutely refusal to admit any part in their success. To the vanquished the message is  ”you just because God loves me me than you.”

43 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:Does it mean you are more religious than the next guy just because you answer every question with “I will win if the Lord Jesus my savior wants me to win. I’m humbled by his glory and except whatever he has in store for me.”? I think this thread is a good one but I think the real question is more like “are top wrestlers more vocal about the faith.

Feel free to disagree with me but I think there’s a certain lack of humility in using every second of camera time to make sure no one forgets just how damn much you love Christ. To me it ends up seeming like shameless self-promotion (look at me; I’m a world beater wrestler but humble before Christ) in their absolutely refusal to admit any part in their success. To the vanquished the message is  ”you just because God loves me me than you.”

I think you might be right.

If you inhabit a world full of farm equipment salesmen, dry wallers, and Baptist ministers, vanity might push to you toward believing that God intervenes in your life like He intervened in Moses’s, and that He whispers in your ear every night.

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

Does it mean you are more religious than the next guy just because you answer every question with “I will win if the Lord Jesus my savior wants me to win. I’m humbled by his glory and except whatever he has in store for me.”? I think this thread is a good one but I think the real question is more like “are top wrestlers more vocal about the faith.

I admit that I am not a big fan of the overly vocal Christian athletes. Anything more than a “I thank God for giving me this opportunity” is too much using the opportunity to promote. 

But, with that said, remember that most of the hardcore Christian religions basically force their flock to “save” by basically promoting their faith. Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your savior?  Living a good life isn’t enough.  So, with that said, a lot of what they say is tame compared to that. 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

None of you have any idea how religious wrestlers are or how religious other athletes are. Maybe you should ask Jesus. He won't know either, but he will tell you to shut up.

That’s more or less my point. We should not think that the wrestlers who talk less about their faith are less faithful. For that matter there were certainly many very faithful wrestlers from prior eras (think Athletes in Action) who I do not think were nearly as outspoken. 

2 hours ago, Katie said:

I think you might be right.

If you inhabit a world full of farm equipment salesmen, dry wallers, and Baptist ministers, vanity might push to you toward believing that God intervenes in your life like He intervened in Moses’s, and that He whispers in your ear every night.

That’s a good point. I should probably add that I don’t think in the scheme of things it’s the worst there is. I generally get the impression that Nolf and Snyder and Nickal do a lot more good than harm. 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:36 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Seems like compared to other college sports wrestlers are way more into religion, primarily Christianity.  Do you agree and if so, why is this?

I don't think wrestlers are outside the current norm for college athletes on that, honestly. In the last 10-15 years the FCA has been enormously successful with getting their Tim Tebow brand of evangelical Christianity installed among a large number of athletes across just about every college sport. Whether they're getting more or less religious I don't know. But they're definitely getting louder about it. 

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying