Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Are college wrestlers more religious than other college athletes?

20 hours ago, Katie said:

Luke 13:4 clearly teaches the doctrine that you can die because of a senseless accident, with no connection whatsoever to the doctrine of sin.

In light of that, it seems a bit silly to suppose that God would control the outcome of an obscure wrestling match in order to somehow achieve the secondary effect of a slightly improved faith for one or both competitors. 

The Bible speaks more clearly of God's sovereignty and seems more silly that God would not care about the ways in which he uses trials in life to strengthen someone's faith, which is also more clearly taught in the Bible (James). There are a lot of people, who if they were to get pinned in a finals match that would also impact your team standings, would crumble. Kyle Snyder learning from this, moving forward, and realizing it's an opportunity to strengthen his faith and his wrestling is a very mature outlook. Maybe when you meet him you can tell him it's all nonsense. 

40 minutes ago, Idaho said:

The Bible speaks more clearly of God's sovereignty and seems more silly that God would not care about the ways in which he uses trials in life to strengthen someone's faith, which is also more clearly taught in the Bible (James). There are a lot of people, who if they were to get pinned in a finals match that would also impact your team standings, would crumble. Kyle Snyder learning from this, moving forward, and realizing it's an opportunity to strengthen his faith and his wrestling is a very mature outlook. Maybe when you meet him you can tell him it's all nonsense. 

I’m simply reporting what Jesus said.

If you think you understand Christianity better than Jesus I guess that’s up to you.

Edited by Katie

57 minutes ago, jchapman said:

How do you know what Jesus said?

Good point. 

If it doesn’t help a wrestler win, how do you know Jesus said it?

I confess I don’t know the answer to that.

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I’m simply reporting what Jesus said.

If you think you understand Christianity better than Jesus I guess that’s up to you.

Way to claim something I never claimed.

With notable exceptions, wrestling in the United States is more popular in rural areas.  Rural areas are overwhelmingly conservative politically.  85% of conservatives (according to Pew Research) identify as Christian.  Ergo, wrestling here seems to have a lot of Christians participating.  

It could just be that a few high profile wrestlers are very vocal about their Christianity in interviews and on social media, but my guess is that a high percentage of wrestlers in the United States identify as Christian.      

I'd be pleased as punch if people kept their religious beliefs to themselves, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.  

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

is it just me or does it seem that over the past few years we have heard Burroughs talk less about his beliefs? Early on it seemed he talked about it a lot, but lately it is rare to hear it in an interview.