Jimmy Cinnabon

Strongest but weakest looking wrestler?

38 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sanderson didn't look muscle bound but people didn't really get away from them once he got his hands on them.  Was it Trenge he drug back on the mat by his ankle?

Was going to say Sanderson also. Part of it is confidence in your shot defense - if you know that no one in college can take you down, you're free to attack more aggressively, so you come across as "stronger".

Edited by Fletcher

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sanderson didn't look muscle bound but people didn't really get away from them once he got his hands on them.  Was it Trenge he drug back on the mat by his ankle?

Yes and IMO Trenge was one of the strongest 197 pounders ever.

41 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Bo Nickal when he was at 174.

Agreed. At the VT home meet Epperly shot in on a high crotch and was just, well stopped. No sprawl, just a stale mate with Zach’s arms out like a T.

2 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

Jason Nolf wasn't as muscular as some guys out there, but I didn't think he exactly looked weak or scrawny either.

I disagree. Look at the trials. And I know he came up from 157/154(70) but he appeared meek compared to others. The size difference between him and IMar was comical, yet Nolf's grip strength and hips keep him in matches, and even got him one against IMar.

Even at 157 this'll year. Deakin. Hidlay. Pantaleo. None of them horsed Nolf yet looked significantly larger.

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Why do folks feel the need to defend their position that Nolf is, 'strong, but weak looking?'  Deakin,  Hidlay,  Pantaleo, IMar, etc.... all make this an argument free 'pick.'  

Yeah fair enough.

I think Bo at 197 this year is kind of the same. That first Moore match... Moore is big compared to him... Bo shoved his hips into him and it broke him.

Heck Bo at any weight ever.

Anthony Robles was a lot stronger than he looked, especially for his weight.  You might think he's strong for 125lbers but he's just a strong human being period.  

Askren didn't look it, but he has that kind of strength that wears on you.  It's like you're trying to walk through mud basically, it just tires you out quickly because of how he's always pulling on stuff and slowing you down.  You have to work harder wrestling him because of how he would latch on and just wear on you constantly.  

59 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Anthony Robles was a lot stronger than he looked, especially for his weight.  You might think he's strong for 125lbers but he's just a strong human being period.  

Askren didn't look it, but he has that kind of strength that wears on you.  It's like you're trying to walk through mud basically, it just tires you out quickly because of how he's always pulling on stuff and slowing you down.  You have to work harder wrestling him because of how he would latch on and just wear on you constantly.  

For Robles, it seemed that was the result of not having one leg.  He had the upper body of a 149 pounder.

2 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

For Robles, it seemed that was the result of not having one leg.  He had the upper body of a 149 pounder.

Not having a leg probably hurt more than helped honestly.  He had to always compensate for balance and was much weaker on one side than the other.  His strength though was because he had to compensate somehow.  He's one of the rare people who had both functional strength and weight room strength.  He could bench in excess of 300 lbs and could still rip off 70 pull ups without a warmup or anything.  I saw him do it once in street clothes at the high school state tournament after he had graduated and been at ASU for a few years.  If he did have 2 legs, I still think he would have been tremendously strong.  A lot of hours of training gave him his strength though, not just his absence of a leg.  

18 hours ago, MDogg said:

Bo Nickal when he was at 174.

His freshman year my buddies and I called him the "baby giraffe" because of how tall, lanky and awkward he looked.  Obviously looks can be deceiving but it was a pretty apt nickname from the eye test.