Jump to content
maligned

Junior Greco has a pulse...4th place after Day 1

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, maligned said:

I mean it makes them happy BECAUSE of its diversity. Not that they're all somehow closet Greco fans. If there was suddenly much better diversity in freestyle than in greco, I'm guessing Greco would be gone immediately from the Olympics.

You don't think they just secretly love greco, maybe hate leg attacks?

Kidding aside, I understood your comment, and hadn't considered that how much their interest in medal diversity matters.

That said, I imagine overall viewership, and gender diversity also matter, and to the IOC.  I don't know why women don't wrestle greco (at least not on the world stage), but they're winning less medals as a result, and dropping greco would immediately change that.  Instead of cutting even more men's freestyle and greco weights to achieve medal parity, and all for 6 women's medals, 8-10 freestyle weights for each nearly doubles that medal count.

That must matter to the IOC, no?  Especially when there are only 24 greco medals to hand out now, and potentially less than that soon enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omania with a 7-3 win over Iran's Mokhtari, a former Cadet World silver medalist. Hits a 4-point throw out of the gate and was mostly in control from there. He'll have former Cadet world champ and current Junior European champ Shotadze of Georgia in the semi's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we'll have Omania in the semi's at 67kg at 10:15am, followed by Nutter going for bronze at 63kg and Schultz going for gold at 130kg in the 11am finals program. Nutter's Polish opponent has been around, but doesn't have any big results to speak of. Schultz faces an Iranian who is the current Asian junior champ, Asian U23 runner-up, and World U23 bronze medalist.

Edited by maligned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More entries... more countries... none of that could possibly mean Greco is more popular because clearly scared Americans set the pulse of the wrestling world...

don’t like Greco?

fine

i don’t like stick and ball sports, but, I’m not going to claim soccer isn’t the most popular sport on this planet by far just because the galaxy and dc united get 4 people in the stands to watch in this country...

yiu guys really need to get over yourselves...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LJB said:

More entries... more countries... none of that could possibly mean Greco is more popular because clearly scared Americans set the pulse of the wrestling world...

don’t like Greco?

fine

i don’t like stick and ball sports, but, I’m not going to claim soccer isn’t the most popular sport on this planet by far just because the galaxy and dc united get 4 people in the stands to watch in this country...

yiu guys really need to get over yourselves...

Just because more countries focus on greco does not mean that greco is more popular.  Thats all that people have said. If freestyle has more viewership, if there are more freestyle competitors in the big population countries, that could easily lead to freestyle being more popular, despite having less entrants at these world  tournies. Is that actually  the case? Idk, but more countries focusing on greco does not necessarily mean that overall population perfer greco. As for Americans being "scared" of greco, you are truly delusional if you believe that, but you mention it enough so maybe you are. Greco just isnt as popular in the us, and we havent had the same level of success as freestyle, so kids tend to focus on that. If we start having more success in greco and kids see it as a chance to bring home world medals, you'll see more kids focusing on it. It has nothing to do with some fear of big bad greco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Just because more countries focus on greco does not mean that greco is more popular.  Thats all that people have said. If freestyle has more viewership, if there are more freestyle competitors in the big population countries, that could easily lead to freestyle being more popular, despite having less entrants at these world  tournies. Is that actually  the case? Idk, but more countries focusing on greco does not necessarily mean that overall population perfer greco. As for Americans being "scared" of greco, you are truly delusional if you believe that, but you mention it enough so maybe you are. Greco just isnt as popular in the us, and we havent had the same level of success as freestyle, so kids tend to focus on that. If we start having more success in greco and kids see it as a chance to bring home world medals, you'll see more kids focusing on it. It has nothing to do with some fear of big bad greco.

people say the same thing they always say... they can not comprehend that something they do not understand or appreciate could possibly be more popular... 

all the other attempts at justification are just that...

greco isn't as popular in america because kids and parents are scared of it... i know this because i have seen it for years... kid who thinks he is billy bad ass gets thrown on their head by someone they could lay on top of for an entire period so they refuse to do it afterwards... this is not some crazy theory... it is just how it is... as a result, our best wrestlers shy away from it... the end result is (with some notable exceptions), this country does not put it's best athletes on the mat in greco... so, you get some part time practitioners who go wrestle someone overseas who has focused on the best style of wrestling since they were 10... it is unreasonable to have any expectations for results under those circumstances...

i'm not trying to change anyone's mind... i gave up on that long ago... but it doesnt change the fact that greco is more popular world wide... it just is... as evidenced by participation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LJB said:

people say the same thing they always say... they can not comprehend that something they do not understand or appreciate could possibly be more popular... 

all the other attempts at justification are just that...

greco isn't as popular in america because kids and parents are scared of it... i know this because i have seen it for years... kid who thinks he is billy bad ass gets thrown on their head by someone they could lay on top of for an entire period so they refuse to do it afterwards... this is not some crazy theory... it is just how it is... as a result, our best wrestlers shy away from it... the end result is (with some notable exceptions), this country does not put it's best athletes on the mat in greco... so, you get some part time practitioners who go wrestle someone overseas who has focused on the best style of wrestling since they were 10... it is unreasonable to have any expectations for results under those circumstances...

i'm not trying to change anyone's mind... i gave up on that long ago... but it doesnt change the fact that greco is more popular world wide... it just is... as evidenced by participation...

Wrong. Viewership is a better indicator of popularity than participation.  

The fact that you think Americans are somehow scared of greco is just absurd. Come on dude, you can’t actually think that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LJB said:

people say the same thing they always say... they can not comprehend that something they do not understand or appreciate could possibly be more popular... 

all the other attempts at justification are just that...

greco isn't as popular in america because kids and parents are scared of it... i know this because i have seen it for years... kid who thinks he is billy bad ass gets thrown on their head by someone they could lay on top of for an entire period so they refuse to do it afterwards... this is not some crazy theory... it is just how it is... as a result, our best wrestlers shy away from it... the end result is (with some notable exceptions), this country does not put it's best athletes on the mat in greco... so, you get some part time practitioners who go wrestle someone overseas who has focused on the best style of wrestling since they were 10... it is unreasonable to have any expectations for results under those circumstances...

i'm not trying to change anyone's mind... i gave up on that long ago... but it doesnt change the fact that greco is more popular world wide... it just is... as evidenced by participation...

When you include women (as you should), there are more freestyle wrestlers than Greco wrestlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

It’s boring and actionless 

folk is considerably more boring with it's rules that reward not wrestling...

we should definitely get rid of the stall fest in this country...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Katie said:

When you include women (as you should), there are more freestyle wrestlers than Greco wrestlers.

before women were allowed to vote in this country, there were way more men voters than women... by your rational, women should never have been allowed to vote based off of their poor numbers at the polls...

 

i think the chiks should wrestle greco... once that is allowed, then your silly statement you keep throwing out whenever this comes up will be invalid... then what will you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

Wrong. Viewership is a better indicator of popularity than participation.  

this argument makes me shake my head in it's simplicity and lack of any real understanding of the world...

once every household on this planet has 3 computers and 4 phones like this country does, then you can start making claims about viewership being some all encompassing argument... until then, you just sound ignorant...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LJB said:

before women were allowed to vote in this country, there were way more men voters than women... by your rational, women should never have been allowed to vote based off of their poor numbers at the polls...

 

i think the chiks should wrestle greco... once that is allowed, then your silly statement you keep throwing out whenever this comes up will be invalid... then what will you do?

Before the 19th amendment, women’s eligibility to vote was a matter of state law. So, quite literally, women were unable to vote because state laws prevented them from doing so. 

When it comes to Greco, I am not aware of any law that prevents women from learning Greco and putting tournaments together. 

So your hypothesis that Greco will suddenly become popular among women as soon as something or someone “allows” them to do so seems mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LJB said:

this argument makes me shake my head in it's simplicity and lack of any real understanding of the world...

once every household on this planet has 3 computers and 4 phones like this country does, then you can start making claims about viewership being some all encompassing argument... until then, you just sound ignorant...

You don’t need 3 computers and 4 phones to watch. All you need is one. To act like people in the Eastern European and other popular greco territories countries don’t have access to watch is disingenuous and you know it. 

What other metric do you have besides participation to prove Greco is more popular? You have nothing, every other metric shows freestyle is more popular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LJB said:

folk is considerably more boring with it's rules that reward not wrestling...

we should definitely get rid of the stall fest in this country...

Mat wrestling is not wrestling? It’s more active wrestling than keeping your elbows hugged to your body and pushing until you get your chance on top. Watching greco in the last Olympics was horrific. Very few attacks or attempts. The sport is dead, they need to take it out of the Olympics. It’s an embarrassment to wrestling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoachWrestling said:

Wrong. Viewership is a better indicator of popularity than participation.  

The fact that you think Americans are somehow scared of greco is just absurd. Come on dude, you can’t actually think that. 

He is delusional. People get thrown in freestyle all the time but the US still participates.  It just plays to our strengths more then greco, which at the elite level is pretty much just a position battle the whole time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katie said:

Before the 19th amendment, women’s eligibility to vote was a matter of state law. So, quite literally, women were unable to vote because state laws prevented them from doing so. 

When it comes to Greco, I am not aware of any law that prevents women from learning Greco and putting tournaments together. 

So your hypothesis that Greco will suddenly become popular among women as soon as something or someone “allows” them to do so seems mistaken.

previous to being given the opportunity to vote, there was no law against women writing names on pieces of paper in basements all by their lonesomes...

face it, women have no opportunity to compete in greco, so, using thair participation in freestyle as some numbers game justification is silly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

You don’t need 3 computers and 4 phones to watch. All you need is one. To act like people in the Eastern European and other popular greco territories countries don’t have access to watch is disingenuous and you know it. 

What other metric do you have besides participation to prove Greco is more popular? You have nothing, every other metric shows freestyle is more popular. 

to act as if all countries have the luxury to internet access or the devices to use it equally is ignorant...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

Mat wrestling is not wrestling? It’s more active wrestling than keeping your elbows hugged to your body and pushing until you get your chance on top. Watching greco in the last Olympics was horrific. Very few attacks or attempts. The sport is dead, they need to take it out of the Olympics. It’s an embarrassment to wrestling. 

folk is dull and boring and rewards not wrestling... it's an embarrassment to real wrestling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...