Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

World Medalists should get a bye to the US Open Finals

3 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I guess there is no US open next year...so drop them into a round robin with the top 3 from the WTTs. 

Those are just random ideas I think our top guys are being catered to too much. 

Agreed. No one should get to sit until a best of three.

Just now, HokieHWT said:

Agreed. No one should get to sit until a best of three.

Especially a returning bronze medalist. I’ve always thought it’s stupid that when it comes to making the next world team a bronze medalist gets the exact same privilege and treatment as a world champion. Especially in a double bronze system. Way too much value accrues to someone who proved he was the 3rd or 4th best guy at the weight the prior year. 

I personally think only returning gold medalists should sit in the finals, but I’d be ok with nobody sitting in the finals.

USA Wrestling has released the Olympic Team Trials procedures for next year, confirming a number of important things.

Among the most important one:

• Penn State will host the Trials April 4-5, 2020
  • Non-Olympic weight world medalists will receive a bye to the semifinals of the challenge tournament
  • Olympic weight medalists will once again receive byes to the finals
  • Wrestlers who qualify the weight but don't medal at worlds will get the 1 seed at Trials
  • The "last chance qualifier" for the Olympics will be in Sofia, Bulgaria from April 30-May 3

9 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I guess there is no US open next year...so drop them into a round robin with the top 3 from the WTTs. 

Those are just random ideas I think our top guys are being catered to too much. 

I thought I heard the Open was in December, or some other crazy early month.

25 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

USA Wrestling has released the Olympic Team Trials procedures for next year, confirming a number of important things.

Among the most important one:

• Penn State will host the Trials April 4-5, 2020
  • Non-Olympic weight world medalists will receive a bye to the semifinals of the challenge tournament
  • Olympic weight medalists will once again receive byes to the finals
  • Wrestlers who qualify the weight but don't medal at worlds will get the 1 seed at Trials
  • The "last chance qualifier" for the Olympics will be in Sofia, Bulgaria from April 30-May 3

Wonder why they changed from two last chance qualifier tournaments available in 2012 & 2016 to just one in 2020?