dmm53

Dake-Dieringer live thread

Name of the game is to score more points than your opponent.  There are two primary ways to do that.  One is to score and Dake is not always great at that.  The other is to not let the other guy score and Dake is an all-time great at that.  Hopefully he brings home gold.  

Dake is obviously one of the best defensive wrestlers of all-time - so I'm not saying it is easy, but wow I was really surprised that Dieringer did not try more things offensively. He spent a lot of time, like even in the last minute of the first match, when he needed a takedown to win, just standing fight in front of Dake, slightly out of tie range, looking at him for a couple of seconds. Not feinting, not trying a stutter step or a different entrance into a tie, but literally just looking at Dake motionless, outside of tie range. He wasn't really even trying different things. When he "turned it up" it only consisted of trying harder, more aggressive collar ties. 

Maybe I'm not giving Dake enough credit and he just thoroughly flummoxed Dieringer but I thought Dieringer wrestled very uninspired. I would have liked to see him at least try different fakes, some different ties, some different shots - like in the last minute or 30 seconds of the first match, for instance.

1 minute ago, Underhook said:

Man, ringer could wind up being one of our best to never make a team. Tough break for the guy 

Unless he retires soon, I'd say he'll be our 79 at Worlds from 2021 on.

And keep in mind, Dake went through much the same vs. Burroughs, yet eventually got an opportunity (at Worlds, if not Olympics).

Just now, RJChicago said:

Dake is obviously one of the best defensive wrestlers of all-time - so I'm not saying it is easy, but wow I was really surprised that Dieringer did not try more things offensively. He spent a lot of time, like even in the last minute of the first match, when he needed a takedown to win, just standing fight in front of Dake, slightly out of tie range, looking at him for a couple of seconds. Not feinting, not trying a stutter step or a different entrance into a tie, but literally just looking at Dake motionless, outside of tie range. He wasn't really even trying different things. When he "turned it up" it only consisted of trying harder, more aggressive collar ties. 

Maybe I'm not giving Dake enough credit and he just thoroughly flummoxed Dieringer but I thought Dieringer wrestled very uninspired. I would have liked to see him at least try different fakes, some different ties, some different shots - like in the last minute or 30 seconds of the first match, for instance.

I think it's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation.  Dake's counters, chest wraps, and crackdowns score a lot of points, and only a perfect shot and finish work against him (which just happens to be Burroughs' bread and butter).  With that in mind, I'm not surprised Alex was as tactical as he was, but I am surprised he was unable to get any good early shots at all.

4 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Once he was up 4-0, I was hoping Dake would start opening up.  He was clearly better, his underhook adjustments were paying huge dividends, and his shots were crisp, but I guess he wanted to play it safe.

Had Yianni "played it safe" in his only loss, he would be chasing Cael's unbeaten record.  Dake wrestles to win, not pile up points.  See his record against Taylor, the master of piling up points.

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

It was an incredibly interesting match if you have followed their rivalry and were aware of the adjustments they both have made against each other. The overall strategy Dake used was brilliant. He took everything away from Ringer.

How did he develop a Martinez level underhook series in a few months?