dmm53

Dake-Dieringer live thread

14 minutes ago, Fighting_Blue_Jay said:

gotcha, you knew the correct scoring as 1 Dake when it happened in real time.

Except in freestyle it isnt always "one or the other" as we have seen both wrestlers can score off one sequence ... the ref held up four for Dieringer and Pyles & Bader didnt know if it would be 4-0, 4-2, or 2-0 and then they ruled 1 for Dake because he stepped out before the throw. 

1 Dake was actually the last call I expected, at least prior to seeing the appropriate replay angle (and in slo-mo).  I thought it would be 2-2 since Ringer didn't initiate the feet to back, but did expose with the headlock, or 4-2 Ringer.

25 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Bold to say Taylor and Ringer are on the same level.

Ringer should be our 86 rep this year. We would medal that way.

Crazy as it seems, but Burroughs biggest/best wins have probably been over Dake.

Not to discount Chamizo, but I do think Dake is better (at least right now).

1 minute ago, whaletail said:

Crazy as it seems, but Burroughs biggest/best wins have probably been over Dake.

I am hoping to see Dake-Chamizo sometime in the next year. Hopefully more than once.

i watched both matches on my phone with 3 kids huddled around inbetween camp sessions... was riveted to both matches... dake wrestled differently than i have ever seen him wrestle and ringer had absolutely no answers at all... dake is a masterful tactition and can change his style to the circumstances... it's incredible to watch...

i seriously can not understand anyone whining about those matches...

1 hour ago, Cradle1 said:

Nailed it.  In Particular, I felt like he stalled his way through worlds last year.  You know, when he outscored his opponents 37-0.

I love days when I agree with Cradle.  Makes me feel like a good Buddhist :-))) This comment made my day.

26 minutes ago, Fighting_Blue_Jay said:

Pyles & Bader didnt know if it would be 4-0, 4-2, or 2-0 

You're hinging your response on those two?  

And to be fair....I was just baiting the hook.  Sorry.

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

That seems to be the strategy.  Dake neutralizing Ringer's potential offense and then picking up small points off push outs.  Win by a point but win.

kind of like the rest of the he world against JB.   Neutralize his double, keep it close and win by a point or two.  That is what happes at the world level.  If you are gonna win world titles you have to be able to adjust and overcome it.  Like JB has had to do. 

Dake will not be the only guy on the world that is gonna use that strategy against Ringer.  I think Ringer is nails.  And i think he is world level material.  However, Dake just exposed a huge hole if he is going to be a world championship one day.  

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

It seems one of us missed the sarcasm?  

If you're saying that you were being sarcastic with your original Cornell post, well, yes I missed it. A sarcastic tone of voice is awfully hard to get across on the printed page. I was just kidding around about Harvard wrestling. No biggie, peace.

Question:  how do you picture a match between Ringer and Magic Man going?  They are both going to be at 86 KG for the Olympic Trials and matches leading up to that.

DT has a lot more varied offense, but that is only part of the story.  

2 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Question:  how do you picture a match between Ringer and Magic Man going?  They are both going to be at 86 KG for the Olympic Trials and matches leading up to that.

DT has a lot more varied offense, but that is only part of the story.  

DT all day. Ringer is very good but incredibly one-dimensional. And it’s too late to add substantially to his toolkit in my opinion. He has evolved very little since college partly because he hasn’t had to against most and partly because he probably can’t. 

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

DT all day. Ringer is very good but incredibly one-dimensional. And it’s too late to add substantially to his toolkit in my opinion. He has evolved very little since college partly because he hasn’t had to against most and partly because he probably can’t. 

Of course, if DT is healthy. All day, every day!

24 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Yes, crazy. Burroughs has won an Olympic final and a world final. Those were much bigger wins.

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux said:

If you're saying that you were being sarcastic with your original Cornell post, well, yes I missed it. A sarcastic tone of voice is awfully hard to get across on the printed page. I was just kidding around about Harvard wrestling. No biggie, peace.

Agreed.  It sounded funny in my head.  That happens more than not.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        My bad Brother.  

6 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I tend to agree.  Ringer looks very big and filled out for 79KG, which seems his optimum weight.  He is likely 3 or 4 inches shorter than DT.  Not sure where he puts on 15 pounds that help his game. 

When will people realize Dake is a winner? He wins when he isn’t supposed to. If he wasn’t stuck behind JB, he would be a multiple time champ already. 

Ringer would’ve had a serious chance at a world gold without Dake. I don’t think anybody expected a blowout. I’m more confident than I was I prior to the matches that Dake will be ready to win worlds. 

The field is relatively weak this year at 79kg.  86kg however has a bunch of solid guys with 1 heavy favorite. There is a chance depending on draw that Ringer could’ve won worlds at 79kg but go 0-1 at 86kg. Tons of parity at that weight and Ringer is in that same tier I think. 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Very odd, but Ringer too one shot in 12 minutes-- at the end of the first period in Match 1-- and Dake scored on that.

I am at airport and only saw second match. Definitely boring. But I think the Dieringer failure to shoot, given his otherwise terrific results and attacking chops, has got to be the result of Dake's amazing, superior positioning, athleticism, and acumen -- he just leaves nothing there.  

I was rooting for Dake but damn — I was shocked at Ringer’s inability to pull the trigger until final seconds of the bouts.  I thought for sure he was going to bring it.  Yes, Dake did back up some but he also held ground plenty often and went on offense with the underhooks.  

Flurries happened off of Dake offense.  Ringer did pretty much nothing but push and fend off Dake until the end of each match.  He has to find a way to fire if he wants to win these.

2 hours ago, PAFAN01 said:

I didn't see the match but 12 minutes without a takedown seems like SUMO!

huh? sumo matches are like 12 seconds long. this was nothing like sumo.

people need to watch more sumo and stop using it as a pejorative to describe anything they don't like about other wrestling styles.