Jump to content
wrestlingnerd

Ringer had absolutely zero for Dake

Recommended Posts

I was quite surprised. I thought Ringer would deliver on his promise of putting the heat on Dake so that he "couldn't take it" (his words). Instead, an out of shape (for Dake) and injured version of Dake made Ringer looked flat-footed, slow, and one-dimensional. LOL at the guys saying he was gaining on Dake. He will never beat him. The gap is still very significant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I was quite surprised. I thought Ringer would deliver on his promise of putting the heat on Dake so that he "couldn't take it" (his words). Instead, an out of shape (for Dake) and injured version of Dake made Ringer looked flat-footed, slow, and one-dimensional. LOL at the guys saying he was gaining on Dake. He will never beat him. The gap is still very significant.

Unfortunately, I had to like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see what happens with possibly, Dieringer going up to 86 and Dake going down to 74 for Olympic Trials. But today, it didn't look like Ringer was that much bigger or stronger than Dake, if at all.

Anyway, congrats to Kid Dynamite. Nice to see him healthy. (Would have like to see him open it up more but guess he did what he had to do to get the win.)

Congrats to Alex too. He's had an awesome freestyle season and he had a great attitude throughout this whole Dake injury saga. Seems like a great kid.

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake's post match interview was really elucidating. He talked about how Dieringer wrestles straight on and leans forward in his stance heavily and therefore doesn't move side to side as well. Dake used this to stay out of Dieringer's wheelhouse in the ties and picked him apart from there. It's amazing how versatile Dake is. He came out and wrestled a totally new style today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

he looked good because dake didn't care at that point.

Dake isn't even in shape yet.

He has less than a month until Worlds.  Better get in shape soon, if he isn't already.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

what are you talking about? Are you saying he is in shape? 

I didn't say he is or isn't in shape.  YOU said he isn't.  I only said time is of the essence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Perry said:

He looked good in the last minute of match 2, but needed to bring that out much earlier if he wanted a chance

Had he shot that recklessly early, Dake might have teched him with crackdown crotch lifts and other counters.

Although I agree he needed to wrestle much more offensively, he may not have had the tools to do so effectively.  Or maybe he was just gunshy due the spotlight etc.

I think he was also unprepared for Dake's major adjustments, notably his underhook reliant offense/defense and renewed footwork.

With all that in mind, I'm not really sure how to evaluate his performance (beyond that it obviously wasn't enough).  I'm sure he can effectively adjust to the underhooks, and maybe at least some aspects of the footwork, but Dake will continue making adjustments as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

We'll see what happens with possibly, Dieringer going up to 86 and Dake going down to 74 for Olympic Trials. But today, it didn't look like Ringer was that much bigger or stronger than Dake, if at all.

Anyway, congrats to Kid Dynamite. Nice to see him healthy. (Would have like to see him open it up more but guess he did what he had to do to get the win.)

Congrats to Alex too. He's had an awesome freestyle season and he had a great attitude throughout this whole Dake injury saga. Seems like a great kid.

   

I thought he definitely looked bigger, and maybe even stronger in a few positions.  Unfortunately for him, none of them ended up mattering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what weight will Dake go for the Olympic trials ? I think he’s understood for 86kg and have trouble thinking he is too big for the cut to 74kg. If he does go 74kg - which I think he should - does anyone think he can finally dethrone JB? I’ve said a few times before that Dave Schultz deliberately didn’t wrestle Kemp for a  period of time, even going up a weight for the 1982 worlds, just to reboot vs Kemp. Kemp took off ‘83 and then Schultz finally beat Kemp. Of note was the the patter was simply. Schultz was mostly (if not always) losing to Kemp. Schultz took a world bronze up a weight in 1982 and then won the worlds in 1983 when Kemp sat out. So by 1984 Schultz vs Kemp was world champ vs world champ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, i really didn't expect ringer to win. but he really had nothing but push. 

his first shot was so bad that i thought dake was going to run around and get two without even having to put any weight on his hands

either ringer was off, or dake's D is still pretty high level. or some combo of both.

how many times did ringer actually even get to the legs and dake pulled them away.

it wasn't that many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GockeS said:

yeah, i really didn't expect ringer to win. but he really had nothing but push. 

his first shot was so bad that i thought dake was going to run around and get two without even having to put any weight on his hands

either ringer was off, or dake's D is still pretty high level. or some combo of both.

how many times did ringer actually even get to the legs and dake pulled them away.

it wasn't that many.

To me, Dake's footwork was the key. Way more side to side and in and out stuff. He looked like Oliver out there with the edge of the mat rope-a-dope. Ringer had a very hard time getting his hands on Dake, and he doesn't have any offense from space. Whenever he got his hands on him, Dake went to the right handed underhook to Ringer's power hand. Ringer would have to back out to clear it, and then Dake would go right back to the rope-a-dope. We can say he should have attacked more all we want, but he never got to a position where he could. Dake was like a ghost out there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

I found the people picking against Dake to be silly and childlike.  

Eh, I think Dake's performance in Spain influenced a lot of it. He did not look good, and with the serious injury, there were legitimate doubts of whether he was going to be 100%. I think you would have seen a lot less Ringer picks if there weren't any doubts about Dake's health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

So what weight will Dake go for the Olympic trials ? I think he’s understood for 86kg and have trouble thinking he is too big for the cut to 74kg. If he does go 74kg - which I think he should - does anyone think he can finally dethrone JB? I’ve said a few times before that Dave Schultz deliberately didn’t wrestle Kemp for a  period of time, even going up a weight for the 1982 worlds, just to reboot vs Kemp. Kemp took off ‘83 and then Schultz finally beat Kemp. Of note was the the patter was simply. Schultz was mostly (if not always) losing to Kemp. Schultz took a world bronze up a weight in 1982 and then won the worlds in 1983 when Kemp sat out. So by 1984 Schultz vs Kemp was world champ vs world champ. 

Tough question -- pick your poison!!  My best guess right now is 74, but surely will be influenced by who medals and how they look next month.

Cox looks so good, and his trajectory is up while Burroughs seems on a slight but real decline.  Also Cox is so technically sound, that neutralizes the kind of advantage that Dake displayed this weekend. 

I would also think that Dake would feel better about wrestling Burroughs in a Final X situation than under the old exhaustion-fest rules, which seemed to be a factor in their past results, and which if I recall correctly drove his weight class decision in 2016.  If Dake can stay healthy and avoid more bad injury luck, I think it makes sense to go all in, deal with some weight cutting (which Burroughs has to do as well), and try to get over the JB hump at 74 for once and for all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyle’s constant movement and strong side under-hooks certainly were effective against Dieringer. Those that think it was boring simply do not understand freestyle or the need to adjust based on the style matchups relative to your opponent. Naturally you need the athleticism to execute the plan and Kyle is on another level with that. 

Kyle/Rob are clearly the best at that and they proved it once again. It was never more apparent than last year in Budapest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mat Rat said:

Kyle’s constant movement and strong side under-hooks certainly were effective against Dieringer. Those that think it was boring simply do not understand freestyle or the need to adjust based on the style matchups relative to your opponent. Naturally you need the athleticism to execute the plan and Kyle is on another level with that. 

Kyle/Rob are clearly the best at that and they proved it once again. It was never more apparent than last year in Budapest.

 

Good stuff.  Folks are ignorant if they thought that was boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...