RJChicago

Best NCAA Championship Match of All-Time

Metcalf and Caldwell was amazing.  I was in the hotel before the finals and about a half dozen of us were running our own small pick 'em and we didn't even consider the possibility that Metcalf could lose.  I was rooting hard for Metcalf but by the end I was cheering the upset with the non-Hawkeye portion of the arena.  

Hendricks-Churella was awesome.  Yes Johnny was pinned.  I've never admitted that outright without a qualifier, but obviously he was pinned.  So maybe the 3rd period shouldn't have happened, but it did.  And Hendricks just took Churella apart.  When he tied it up with 30 seconds left they went out of bounds and he signalled optional to John Smith.  Smith emphatically said no and Hendricks nodded yes and calmly released him and then took him down for the win.  He got a gift, but he had to go take that match for the gift to mean anything.  Then of course he toured the OKC arena with an OSU flag on his back as the greatest NCAA heel of all time.  

And because of how that match went down Hendricks-Perry was awesome too (and depressing for me).  There were approximately 1000 story lines with that one, and it looked like it would still somehow be a boring final.  But then Perry broke him with a leg ride and snatched the title from Johnny, uncle John, and the whole state of Oklahoma.  

Those are my top 3 and I was there in person for all of them.  I haven't been to the NCAAs live in recent years but those were awesome matches.  

On 8/18/2019 at 2:54 AM, scribe said:

Rohn lambrecht is often cited but that was just a stunner. 

Schultz v Banach 

Rohn vs Lambrecht was insane....Great call!   Kelly vs Penrith   another doozy          Caldwell vs Metcalf

On 8/17/2019 at 9:26 PM, WillieBoy said:

Schultz vs Banach is it.

All the hype of Banach "going for FOUR" - when he was not yet a 3 time champion. Schultz went up a weight specifically to beat him. Then he did just that - like a rented mule. Lots of action and a match to watch if you want someone to see wrestling with passion and excitement.

Like a rented mule....give me a break...Banach was 3 timer, and an all-time great....how about some respect.....it's one of the greatest matches for a reason.....TWO all-time greats, and Banach is one of the greatest Hawkeyes of all-time.

Edited by fadzaev2

12 hours ago, boconnell said:

Metcalf and Caldwell was amazing.  I was in the hotel before the finals and about a half dozen of us were running our own small pick 'em and we didn't even consider the possibility that Metcalf could lose.  I was rooting hard for Metcalf but by the end I was cheering the upset with the non-Hawkeye portion of the arena.  

Hendricks-Churella was awesome.  Yes Johnny was pinned.  I've never admitted that outright without a qualifier, but obviously he was pinned.  So maybe the 3rd period shouldn't have happened, but it did.  And Hendricks just took Churella apart.  When he tied it up with 30 seconds left they went out of bounds and he signalled optional to John Smith.  Smith emphatically said no and Hendricks nodded yes and calmly released him and then took him down for the win.  He got a gift, but he had to go take that match for the gift to mean anything.  Then of course he toured the OKC arena with an OSU flag on his back as the greatest NCAA heel of all time.  

And because of how that match went down Hendricks-Perry was awesome too (and depressing for me).  There were approximately 1000 story lines with that one, and it looked like it would still somehow be a boring final.  But then Perry broke him with a leg ride and snatched the title from Johnny, uncle John, and the whole state of Oklahoma.  

Those are my top 3 and I was there in person for all of them.  I haven't been to the NCAAs live in recent years but those were awesome matches.  

There was more than one gift given to Hendricks, like the takedown awarded almost off the platform, and Hendricks never even got behind...he was behind the arm, but never even got to go behind/cover the hips.

3 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

There was more than one gift given to Hendricks, like the takedown awarded almost off the platform, and Hendricks never even got behind...he was behind the arm, but never even got to go behind/cover the hips.

Get out of here with that.  Hendricks took him down repeatedly and all were takedowns.  Churella hit a nice counter in the 2nd but got absolutely worked outside of those 10 seconds.  

17 hours ago, boconnell said:

Was also there to support tOSU. Thought we had a chance but we ran out of potential point scorers in the upper weights. Was a great match, both for the wrestling and the atmosphere!

Edited by fightingsioux

On 8/20/2019 at 8:03 AM, fadzaev2 said:

Like a rented mule....give me a break...Banach was 3 timer, and an all-time great....how about some respect.....it's one of the greatest matches for a reason.....TWO all-time greats, and Banach is one of the greatest Hawkeyes of all-time.

If Banach would have hit that last throw attempt, he would have won the match.  That being said, it had to have been the dumbest match I've ever seen Banach wrestle, and the smartest and toughest match I had seen Schultz perform on an equal opponent. Which is why it ended up being a major decision- Schultz.

6 hours ago, Broomstick said:

Bo Nickal losing to Myles Martin their freshman years was best.

You got the Nickal vs Martin part right. You just missed the year. 2018 with the team title on the line, Nickal appears to go to his back, tOSU fans go nuts. Nickal elevates. tOSU fans crash. 

It was a thing of beauty.