Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Thank you Daniel Cormier.

I was a big a critic as any after his Olympic weight cutting issues.  That specific issue  suck for our sport, but he’s had a significant wrestling career in my view and also redeemed himself with a respectable MMA career sense then.  Through his UFC career he’s represented our sport well and deserves some respect for what he’s done for our sport at the UFC level. As well as his commitment to coaching at the HS level.  Not the ending he was hoping for but he went out fighting.  Nothing left to prove, screw the Jones cheating supplement tactics, and enjoy the much deserved athletic retirement and current coaching career DC.  Much respect. 

Edited by MadMardigain

He fought hard.  Just fearless tactics to get in close to strike Stipe.  Thanks for posting this.  I'm with you, he's grown into a fascinating sports figure.  The Stipe strategy to go to the body late, was just brilliant.  Great fight!!!

On 8/17/2019 at 11:42 PM, MadMardigain said:

I was a big a critic as any after his Olympic weight cutting issues.  That specific issue  suck for our sport, but he’s had a significant wrestling career in my view and also redeemed himself with a respectable MMA career sense then.  Through his UFC career he’s represented our sport well and deserves some respect for what he’s done for our sport at the UFC level. As well as his commitment to coaching at the HS level.  Not the ending he was hoping for but he went out fighting.  Nothing left to prove, screw the Jones cheating supplement tactics, and enjoy the much deserved athletic retirement and current coaching career DC.  Much respect. 

You really nailed it here Mardi.  I have to admit in retrospect, I didn't even listen to what his reason was for not making weight.  I just wrote him off as a major disappointment.  I was quick to hate, but he's proven time and time again that you can prevail if you keep moving full steam ahead.  That's exactly how he was fighting, until the devastating body shots completely changed the fight.  That was in my opinion 2 of the top 5 heavyweights of all time.  Awesome night of fights.