gowrestle

Bad Look For Wrestling

17 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

It isn't like this is something that hasn't happened before.  Lindland/Sieracki, Smith/Lewis, these things happen in other sports occasionally too.  

Marable / Green more recently?

Edited by red blades

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

A non wrestling person had to decide the impact of a match.  Wrestling is the laughing stock of the sports world.

I’m sure the only people outside of the wrestling bubble in the US that know what you are talking about are the people on the arbitration panel. Nobody in the sports world cares about this and if Yianni gets the spot and medals or zain gets the spot, this will all be forgotten about. 

2 hours ago, gowrestle said:

A non wrestling person had to decide the impact of a match.  Wrestling is the laughing stock of the sports world.

What do you consider a wrestling person?

Mitten was apparently at least a decent high school wrestler in Ohio, and from what I understand, has written about arbitration within the sport in multiple law review articles and books.

He's certainly familiar with the sport, and from all accounts, his review and ruling were comprehensive (and, in my opinion at least, the  latter was also correct).

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

What do you consider a wrestling person?

Mitten was apparently at least a decent high school wrestler in Ohio, and from what I understand, has written about arbitration within the sport in multiple law review articles and books.

He's certainly familiar with the sport, and from all accounts, his review and ruling were comprehensive (and, in my opinion at least, the  latter was also correct).

Good point. A clarification: out of the hands of the assigned officials. 

51 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Good point. A clarification: out of the hands of the assigned officials. 

who got it wrong in the first place?

yeah, let them decide. like when we have them review the sequence they just reffed and expect something different.

that's like NFL/NCAA officials doing replay and overturning themselves.

Edited by GockeS

34 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

It appears the only real change that came out of the arbitration is that the arbitrator's opinion was substituted for the referee delegate's opinion on the reasonableness of the brick toss.

i would argue the change came because he realized that changing the outcome of the match after the match was a bad idea.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

It appears the only real change that came out of the arbitration is that the arbitrator's opinion was substituted for the referee delegate's opinion on the reasonableness of the brick toss.

Right.  The fact that the officials didn't toss the skinhead's brick back at him with the message "too late" is what made wrestling look bad.

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

Correct but those that have paid attention are snickering. 

Who? Who is snickering? An arbiter is hired because he/she know how to comprehend rules and listen to arguments from both sides. They don't have to be experts on every subject they handle. The arbiter doesn't need to know the many layers to back exposure to make a decision on this case based on the evidence provided to him. The NFL Deflategate case was handled by all kinds of lawyers and scientists and I'm sure not all of them could break down a cover 2 defense for you.

Protests handle in sports all the time.  George Brett and the pine tar bat sound familiar?  Royals had to fly to NY just to play an inning.  

Every year at nationals there are several protests.  As a matter of fact, they have a protest committee in place before the start of the tournament for the sole purpose that just in case there is a protest they are equipped to handle one.

Every sport has protest procedures in place, and the fact that very rarely are games/matches overturned means that it was fairly obvious in an unbiased, neutral observer's eyes, that a bad decision was made in the match.   

7 hours ago, red blades said:

Marable / Green more recently?

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but wasn't the arbitration in the Marable vs Green situation about missing weight and a doctor's note? The arbiter didn't make any ruling on the result of a match. I didn't look it up, just going off of my fading memory. 

5 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Correct but those that have paid attention are snickering. 

Have you heard this or are you speculating?

Personally, I'd be surprised if anyone outside the wrestling community was ever aware of the arbitration at all, and those within formed their own opinions on the matter weeks ago.

I'm much more concerned that the new precedent will result in myriad 7 & 8 second challenges taken to arbitration by both parties, and table workers will have to start timers subsequent every score.  I think you need a hard limit to enforce timely challenges, but there are so many variables surrounding the timing itself, let alone issues like revised scores, etc., that controversy is inevitable.

Hopefully, the costs associated with arbitration will preclude the vast majority of appeals, but it could become a problem.