gowrestle

Bad Look For Wrestling

8 minutes ago, ugarte said:

that's right. cornell and penn state fans can reasonably disagree on the call itself - i still think it should have 2 blue but who cares! - there is much less room for reasonable disagreement on the propriety of the challenge.

I can accept that there is some wiggle room on the 5 seconds. Timing here is unavoidably imprecise (since coaches have to watch the wrestling and the scoreboard at the same time) that allowing a challenge a few ticks above 5 seems like a reasonable unspoken concession. Once you get to some point - 10? 15? 20? seconds from the score getting posted it obviously becomes the gamesmanship that the "approximately 5 second rule" was in place to prevent.

Because I am this sort of person, I've gone back and read all of the available wrestling arbitration decisions. At the same time as Lindland/Sieracki, Dennis Hall also protested on the grounds that he lost because of uncalled leg blocking. In both the Lindland and Hall cases, the claims that were strictly about disagreeing with scoring decisions were rejected.

Looking back, the arbitrator's ruling in Lindland was incredibly bad (and as bad as it was, not reviewable by the courts!) All of Lindland's complaints were about scoring - in a match where he should have been disqualified for biting - and so he lost. When he appealed the results of that decision the arbitrator didn't even evaluate whether that decision was correct but instead found that the USAW review panel improperly excluded some people for conflicts or prior involvement in the decision process and upheld Lindland's objection to the composition of the panel. Rrather than remanding the case back to a properly constituted review panel, the arbitrator inexplicably (but probably because of the compressed schedule) ordered a rewrestle of the disputed match. Sieracki and USAW had every right to think it was BS. In fact, even one of the judicial decisions affirming that everyone had to honor the Lindland award and the results of the re-wrestle clearly thought it was kind of BS.

Thanks for that information, ugarte. I had no idea how ridiculous the Lindland situation had gotten. 

20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Thanks for that information, ugarte. I had no idea how ridiculous the Lindland situation had gotten. 

I was in Dallas and close with both the crew during the match and the crew on the RE-wrestle. Not saying that as a “look at me” but to say that it was even more ridiculous than the legal documents will show. From start to finish. I love Lindland but he should have never been on that team. 

On 8/21/2019 at 1:30 AM, CoachWrestling said:

Imagine the Cowboys taking a bad call to the courts and winning. The game is then replayed. It would never happen. This is an embarrassment, no need to sugarcoat.

There is nothing wrong with correcting that sh*t show of an ending to that match. That’s why there is an arbitration process in place. The bigger embarrassment by far, would be leaving that match how it was. Just my opinion. 

On 8/21/2019 at 4:30 AM, CoachWrestling said:

Imagine the Cowboys taking a bad call to the courts and winning. The game is then replayed. It would never happen. This is an embarrassment, no need to sugarcoat.

It literally did happen in the MLB. What do you say to that?

On 8/18/2019 at 5:27 AM, tec87 said:

I’m sure the only people outside of the wrestling bubble in the US that know what you are talking about are the people on the arbitration panel. Nobody in the sports world cares about this and if Yianni gets the spot and medals or zain gets the spot, this will all be forgotten about

Not true.  If this year's world team member medals, it gives them a bye into the finals of the Olympic Team Trials.

4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Not true.  If this year's world team member medals, it gives them a bye into the finals of the Olympic Team Trials.

what he means is that if zain beats yianni then the arbitration didn't change anything and if yianni beats zain then medals nobody will care about the process that got him there

On 8/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, TBar1977 said:

The arbitrator did not rule on the call itself, just on procedure.

The arbitrator ruling on procedure, essentially voided the incorrect call. so ya, he did.

12 hours ago, Coachp said:

The arbitrator ruling on procedure, essentially voided the incorrect call. so ya, he did.

I mean that he didn't rule on the *merits* of the call. He doesn't care if Yianni deserved 2 or not. (and thanks to Tbar, who gets it)

15 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

The match being voided isn't tantamount to scoring the sequence. Two totally different things. 

Why would we really care how the arbitrator scored the sequence anyway?  There's a reason arbitrators solely deal with procedure in these sorts of appeals.

And as much as I'm a Yianni fan (not that I dislike Zain), Sylvestri scored the match 6-6 Zain, albeit with Yianni unaware that he was losing.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, whaletail said:

Why would we really care how the arbitrator scored the sequence anyway?  There's a reason arbitrators solely deal with procedure in these sorts of appeals.

And as much as I'm a Yianni fan (not that I dislike Zain), Sylvestri scored the match 6-6 Zain, albeit with Yianni unaware that he was losing.

I hear what you are saying, and I think that is the reason the match is being voided, and wrestled again, rather than correcting the score, and giving the win to Yianni, like should have happened in real time.

Edited by Coachp