Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

We need 10 Olympic weights

Why don’t we  discuss this more?  I can’t understand why we fight for opportunity at every level but at the very epitome of the sport we settle for 6 weights. What can do? Who should we write? Can we get some twitter trolls on this?  

Boxing has 10 weights, Judo at least has 7.  I understand we actually have 18 weights between three styles so I guess we need to fight for more weights across all 3 styles because 6...is not acceptable. I did notice boxing has 10 males weights and only 3 women’s weights. How do they get away with this inequity?  

UWW has brought the sport a long way. There is no reason we shouldn’t be fighting hard to get weights back. I like 10 but could live with 8 because of the 3 styles.     

Agreed with your passion, 100%.  I fear that the answer is going to be complicated, political, and driven somehow by $$$ and influence of those with $$$ (on a global scale).  We also have to face the notion that some sports are included for the sheer sake of "diversity", and however that is defined by Olympic Committee.  Dealing with these folks is like dealing with the UN, and that is a completely different topic that we ought not discuss without the threat of a thread being locked or deleted.

Edited by treep2000

Women’s boxing just got in 2012, and the NGB has had some issues as of late. Plus you have two men’s styles, so it’s really 12-6 and 18 all together.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see more balance ahead in boxing though. 

As for it not being talked about enough, it’s seems like it’s talked about quite a bit. We’re still in the woods a little bit, as we’re not guaranteed for 2024 yet (I don’t think). Let’s get that locked back down again and then move to the next step of more weights. 

1 minute ago, spladle said:

It will never happen again.  There is not a strong enough viewership to demand 10 weight classes.  The politics of the Olympics are really complicated, but it is driven mostly by tv revenue.

Unfortunately, that's the truth.  Wrestling is only fun to watch for wrestlers or ex wrestlers.  Add to the fact the scoring can be confusing unless you really know the rules.

we should get rid of men's freestyle... let the chick's have the women's style and we can then give the real style it's preferred number of weights... everyone will be happy...

48 minutes ago, LJB said:

we should get rid of men's freestyle... let the chick's have the women's style and we can then give the real style it's preferred number of weights... everyone will be happy...

I would be 100% for this, except that unfortunately it would probably be the death of the US being any kind of factor in the sport.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I would be 100% for this, except that unfortunately it would probably be the death of the US being any kind of factor in the sport.

quite the opposite... our best athletes would switch to greco and we would dominate as much as we do now in the women's style...

everyone would be happy...

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

quite the opposite... our best athletes would switch to greco and we would dominate as much as we do now in the women's style...

everyone would be happy...

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I believe some of our best athletes would.  But many, many when faced with a scholarship, etc or the Olympics once every four years, I don't know that we would have the depth to push us into that upper echelon, consistently.  Now if there was an overhaul to the US wrestling landscape, that would be a different story.  But I don't know that going Greco only internationally would force that. 

Then again, this is something that will never happen......

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I believe some of our best athletes would.  But many, many when faced with a scholarship, etc or the Olympics once every four years, I don't know that we would have the depth to push us into that upper echelon, consistently.  Now if there was an overhaul to the US wrestling landscape, that would be a different story.  But I don't know that going Greco only internationally would force that. 

Then again, this is something that will never happen......

if the only avenue for olympic gold was greco then our best wrestlers would get over their fear and our greco would improve exponentially...

but no, this will never happen... but it is kinda fun to imagine the meathead's on the forum head's starting to turn red and the mere mention of the way it should be...

or we can just start viewing the world championships as the marquee competition in senior level wrestling and forget the BS politics and revenue driven decision making of the olympics.

its unfortunate because we were all taught growing up that the olympics were the absolute end all be all when it comes to wrestling and sport in general, but if you dig below the surface its all about money and politics.

there are plenty that view a world medal in as much if not more esteem than an olympic medal...

not one average person on the corner does...

which, is the real problem...

I agree with spladle and CA_Wrestler: the Olympics are revenue driven and amateur wrestling appeals almost exclusively to wrestlers or ex-wrestlers.

Olympic TV coverage is now almost 50% "up close and personal" human interest stories about the athletes. They know that maybe one or two people in the living room really care about the sport or the event itself, the rest of the family couldn't give a hoot and just want to watch the pre-packaged personal drama clips. Then a commercial, then some talking heads, then another human interest clip, then another commercial, then more talking heads....and finally a couple minutes of sports! And those few minutes of sports sure as hell are not going to be wrestling.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux said:

I agree with spladle and CA_Wrestler: the Olympics are revenue driven and amateur wrestling appeals almost exclusively to wrestlers or ex-wrestlers.

Olympic TV coverage is now almost 50% "up close and personal" human interest stories about the athletes. They know that maybe one or two people in the living room really care about the sport or the event itself, the rest of the family couldn't give a hoot and just want to watch the pre-packaged personal drama clips. Then a commercial, then some talking heads, then another human interest clip, then another commercial, then more talking heads....and finally a couple minutes of sports! And those few minutes of sports sure as hell are not going to be wrestling.

The TV coverage on the mothership of NBC caters to the housewife. The NBC Olympic channels cater to the males who actually care to watch athletes compete.

We need more housewives to like watching men in singlets for them to take notice, but alas dad bods are in.

One way to strengthen the argument for 10 weights (at least for men) would have competitors wrestler for TRUE 3rd instead of two 3rd place finishers.  That would save 6 bronze medals right there.

10 weights with 1st, 2nd, & true 3rd place finishers = 30 medals  

6 weights with 1,2, (two 3rds) =  24 medals

Then the difference would only be 6 total medals between Men's 6 weights & 10 weights.

If you also had 6 women's weights wrestle for true 3rd you would save another 6 bronze medals.

I too would prefer 10.  But ....

The reduction to 6 definitely makes the process getting to the Olympics more exciting.  The potential champ on champ matchups at trials and at the Olympics is higher than it would be.  

OTT’s is going to be insane.

The Olympics should be disbanded.  Countries pay millions in bribes to host the event, billions in infrastructure to accomodate various venues with little positive economic impact to the host cities.  In the process ordinary citizens are displaced.  The Olympics had outlived its usefulness

24 minutes ago, nom said:

The reduction to 6 definitely makes the process getting to the Olympics more exciting.  The potential champ on champ matchups at trials and at the Olympics is higher than it would be.  

That's true, but the weight cut thing (sometimes extreme) and wrestlers out of their true weight classes are negatives, IMO.

I would love to see 10 Olympic weight classes. 

And UWW has proven that a 10 weight format can work just fine.  If we don’t complain or make noise about it it will never change.  They think we are fine with it. I would hope we are not. 14 high school weights, 10 collegiate, 6 Olympic. It’s an injustice to these men and women who put their lives into this. 

40 minutes ago, nom said:

Perhaps but think of it from an athlete’s perspective. Our will be tweeners in particular. Sucks for them. 

But like someone else posted, let's make sure wrestling gets reinstated to the Olympics first and then maybe we'll get the 10 weight classes after that.......... C'mon President Lalovich, get er done!     :D

(Of course this is easier said than done, lots of moving parts as has been discussed here since the reduction to 6 weights.)